Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll call your small forward and raise you one

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Based on the few games I've seen, I expect the Devils to go 13-3 and finish runnerup to the Heels. They are talented, deep and have a slew of players who can put the ball in the basket. They also leave their egos in the lockeroom and play as a team. Those are tough combinations to beat but ACC play, particularly away from CIS, is very difficult and I expect the Devils to lose a couple, that on paper, they should win.

I'm sure that j_w will disagree but I think that it is likely that the Devils beat the Terps twice this year. The big advantage for the Devils is the small forward position. The combination of Nelson/Scheyer or Henderson will eat them alive. I've seen the Terps play four times and they are potentially an excellent defensive team. Aside from poor shooting, Vasquez, Gist and Hayes have played as well as I anticipated and their freshmen seem to be playing better as they get some playing time. Backing up j_w, Vasquez and Hayes are both excellent passers (combined 10.7 apg) and rebounders as well as decent defenders. As good as their assist stats are today, I expect them to improve as the season goes and the young players on the Terps begin to put away the layups and open shots.

gw67
    I agree that historically Duke has killed Maryland at the small forward position.

Nelson/Scheyer/Henderson gives Duke a small advantage over Milbourne/Tucker. But by the time conference play roles around the Maryland small forward will be Milbourne/Tucker/GIST. Maryland can play small but can Duke play big?

Quote Originally Posted by just_wondering View Post
    I agree that historically Duke has killed Maryland at the small forward position.

Nelson/Scheyer/Henderson gives Duke a small advantage over Milbourne/Tucker. But by the time conference play roles around the Maryland small forward will be Milbourne/Tucker/GIST. Maryland can play small but can Duke play big?
    Ask somebody from Wisconsin.

j_w,

I'm not sure that I see Gist as a small forward although he has a nice jump shot. A problem for the Terps this year is, that unlike Duke, their young players are not ready for prime time. I like Tucker and Milbourne, as well Dupree, Bowie and Burney, but they will need time to develop and grow into Williams' offensive and defensive schemes. In time (late this year or, more likely, next year), I expect these youngsters to be solid contributors. Eventually, I predict that Tucker and Dupree will be very good players and that the other three will be solid complementary players.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by just_wondering View Post

I assume this means that Gist will be spending the Christmas break doing nothing but ball handling drills.