Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah it may eve op being a question of whether the interpreter is willing to go to prison (potentially) in order to protect Ohtani.

Realistically there is no way that Ohtani wasn’t involved in this somehow. No bookie is gonna permit the interpreter to run up $4.5 MILLION dollars in debt without that debt being secured by somebody who reliably could come up with the kind of money to repay the debt. That’s where Ohtani — and his knowledge of the situation, not a “theft” — comes in.
    And Pete Rose deserves to be in the HOF. Oh wait, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Given that Ohtani is the sport's biggest star and there's no indication (that we know of) that he gambled, I don't see how the truth would jeopardize him.
    Ohtani making payments to a bookie is a problem for him, both legally and with MLB, even if it’s someone else’s debt. That’s why the “theft” story has emerged.

But as noted, in order for this story to hold up, the interpreter has to be willing to go to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And Pete Rose deserves to be in the HOF. Oh wait, that's another story.
    I still use a Pete Rose model glove I bought as a middle schooler shortly before he became persona non grata. At the time I did not buy it because I liked him but I think it was just the glove that I liked best and fit best. It is a fun topic of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Ohtani making payments to a bookie is a problem for him, both legally and with MLB, even if it’s someone else’s debt. That’s why the “theft” story has emerged.

But as noted, in order for this story to hold up, the interpreter has to be willing to go to prison.
    I have it on good authority that instead of reporting this theft to traditional law enforcement, Ohtani’s people decided to engage OJ Simpson to get to the bottom of it.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I still use a Pete Rose model glove I bought as a middle schooler shortly before he became persona non grata. At the time I did not buy it because I liked him but I think it was just the glove that I liked best and fit best. It is a fun topic of conversation.
    That's amusing. I really liked Roberto Clemente, because I really value defense, my first name is Robert, and the first baseball glove I ever owned that wasn't a hand-me-down from an older brother was a Clemente model. As my hand grew bigger, I needed a new glove, and I settled on a particular model, and, as you say, it was the glove I liked best and it fit best. The irony of this is that it was a Dave Kingman model. No, it wasn't a skillet.

I am travelling in Japan right now and last night at dinner w some Japanese folks the issue of Shohei came up. I was told that the relationship w an interpreter is closer than we might imagine. They are often very very close almost like family. It’s not just a business relationship; it’s more personal than that. Based on that, he said it wouldn’t be unusual for the interpreter to have access to the bank accounts. Of course no way to know exactly what the relationship was or what Shohei knew about this, but it sounded possible this was going on without Shohei’s knowledge.

But that being said, to me the part that still doesn’t make sense is the amount of the debt. No bookie would allow that kind of debt without it being secured by someone with the money to secure it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I am travelling in Japan right now and last night at dinner w some Japanese folks the issue of Shohei came up. I was told that the relationship w an interpreter is closer than we might imagine. They are often very very close almost like family. It’s not just a business relationship; it’s more personal than that. Based on that, he said it wouldn’t be unusual for the interpreter to have access to the bank accounts. Of course no way to know exactly what the relationship was or what Shohei knew about this, but it sounded possible this was going on without Shohei’s knowledge.

But that being said, to me the part that still doesn’t make sense is the amount of the debt. No bookie would allow that kind of debt without it being secured by someone with the money to secure it.
    Yes, other interpreters have made the same point about access:

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1772452554145726704

https://twitter.com/DanielKimW/status/1772505255034421546

https://theathletic.com/4581805/2023/06/06/mlb-interpreters-shohei-ohtani/

As for your last paragraph, why would the bookie care about the aggregate debt amount that had accrued over time so long as payments on the current outstanding amount kept getting paid when due? Seems unconvincing to assert that a bookie would proactively shut down a gravy train, but if your theory is correct, there would be a written instrument signed by Ohtani securing Ippei’s debt with Ohtani’s assets, or similar written record evidencing Ohtani’s willingness to assume the debt. Let’s see if the facts bear that out.

FWIW, the bookie has released a statement saying he never had contact of any kind with Ohtani, so if you think he (in addition to Ippei) is willing to lie to protect Ohtani when these types of questions are posed by investigators then you may want to consider whether you are viewing it objectively.

Shades (potentially) of Greg Anderson going to jail several times instead of testifying against Barry Bonds.

Ya, I guess it depends on to whom Ohtani gave the money...I had guessed he freely gave the money to the interpreter to give to the bookie, but who knows? In any event the "theft" story has a thousand holes in it. And the prison part is why I think the story will ultimately fall apart.

Generally when people are victimized by a "massive theft" authorities are called and clear allegations are made...

Through no fault of his own, Dukie Marcus Stroman came up empty today, courtesy of some silent Yankee bats, but two starts in he's off to a terrific start. 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 10 K's, 7 hits and 3 walks in 12 innings. None too shabby.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I'm wondering if I should even post about the very surprising Tigers. Better too not look directly at any Detroit team is my usual early season stance. You know, like the eclipse.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm wondering if I should even post about the very surprising Tigers. Better too not look directly at any Detroit team is my usual early season stance. You know, like the eclipse.
    Your farm system should begin to pay dividends just like Baltimore's did. Looking for the Tigers to make the playoffs.

Usually, my Rockies have a pretty decent April before starting their flame-out sometime in May. This year, they decided to get the slump started right away. The home opener yesterday looked like more of the same, going into the 9th with a 4-run lead and giving up 5 runs, but the Rays closer came out unable to throw strikes, walked the bases loaded, and then a different reliever gave up a game-winning grand slam. My expectations remain low, but I still live for the occasional high.

Spencer Strider has ulnar ligament damage. Not good news for the Braves rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    Spencer Strider has ulnar ligament damage. Not good news for the Braves rotation.
    At least the Braves have a second ace they can slide into the number 1 slot. Max Fried started today and gave up 8 runs in 4 1/3 innings, 6 in the first inning. That's the stuff.

Braves came back to win 9-8.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Shhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Shhhhh!
    Yes, sorry about that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    At least the Braves have a second ace they can slide into the number 1 slot. Max Fried started today and gave up 8 runs in 4 1/3 innings, 6 in the first inning. That's the stuff.

Braves came back to win 9-8.
    Yeah, that lineup keeps them in the game when the pitcher stinks it up.

NY Times - Ohtani’s Former Interpreter Is Said to Be Negotiating a Guilty Plea

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/10/b...hara-plea.html

Ippei Mizuhara, the former translator for Shohei Ohtani who was fired late last month amid allegations he stole millions of dollars from the baseball star’s bank account to cover debts that Mizuhara owed to an illegal bookmaker, is in negotiations to plead guilty to federal crimes in connection with the purported theft, according to three people briefed on the matter.

The investigation, which began about three weeks ago after news of the alleged theft broke while Ohtani’s team, the Los Angeles Dodgers, was opening its season with two games in South Korea, is rapidly nearing a conclusion, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the inquiry is continuing.

A guilty plea from Mizuhara before a federal judge — likely to include an admission of a range of facts related to any illegal conduct — could confirm the account that Ohtani gave to reporters two weeks ago, in which he said he had no knowledge of what happened to the money.

Those briefed on the matter claim that prosecutors have uncovered evidence that Mizuhara may have stolen more money from Ohtani than the $4.5 million he was initially accused of pilfering, the people said. In particular, the authorities think they have evidence that Mizuhara was able to change the settings on Ohtani’s bank account so Ohtani would not receive alerts and confirmations about transactions, the three people said.
    We’ll see how the plea goes, but some people here should probably start preparing to eat crow.

Federal authorities are charging Ippei Mizuhara with theft of over $16 million from Ohtani. Of note:

-Text messages showed that Mizuhara began gambling in September 2021 and began losing "substantial sums of money" later that year.
    -Bank records show that the phone number and email address on Ohtani’s account were changed to those associated with Mizuhara.
    -Investigators relied on recorded phone calls from the bank in which Mizuhara falsely identified himself as Ohtani to "trick and deceive" bank employees into authorizing the transfers.
    -The US attorney said Ohtani is “considered a victim in this case,” and there’s no evidence suggesting Ohtani was actively involved.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...hara-stole-16m

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/sport...ion/index.html

This aligns with Ohtani’s sole statement on the matter, as well as his attorneys’ initial allegations that Ohtani was a victim a massive theft. To the people who have been casting aspersions on Ohtani, feel free to repent once you have had time to process the information that does not align with your preferred narrative.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 04-11-2024 at 02:28 PM.