Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Maybe not, but he still has to be fired. You can't be that close to an active player and be involved with gambling. My very first thought on reading the story was, "$4.5 million?!? Are we sure those were the interpreter's wagers, or was he just the front man?" I'm not saying those were Ohtani's bets. I want to be really clear about that. But I'm also not sure they weren't, and that's a problem for baseball's biggest star.
    sure, no doubt you fire him. I'm just saying that calling this "theft" seems to be grossly misleading, it's CYA for Ohtani who won't want to be discussing what he knows about his pal's gambling (and quite possibly he doesn't know who the guy bets on). Still...

The whole story is very fishy. And I find it hard to believe that the interpreter is in the hole millions of dollars and still doesn’t bet on baseball (what he knows best) to try to dig out.

Lots of skeptics here -- and you have me convinced!

Lots of armchair sleuths with limited information speculating and projecting here — you do not have me convinced!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    The whole story is very fishy. And I find it hard to believe that the interpreter is in the hole millions of dollars and still doesn’t bet on baseball (what he knows best) to try to dig out.
    It was ransom money to free Kate Middleton. The internet's two conspiracy stories of the moment unite!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Apparently the Mets have decided that they don’t like any of their DH options, because they have agreed terms (signing pending a successful physical) with J.D. Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Lots of armchair sleuths with limited information speculating and projecting here — you do not have me convinced!
    we can be pretty sure the interpreter did not steal stuff when Ohtani freely gave him money,

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Maybe not, but he still has to be fired. You can't be that close to an active player and be involved with gambling. My very first thought on reading the story was, "$4.5 million?!? Are we sure those were the interpreter's wagers, or was he just the front man?" I'm not saying those were Ohtani's bets. I want to be really clear about that. But I'm also not sure they weren't, and that's a problem for baseball's biggest star.
    I'm not buying the theft story and whether they were the interpreter's bets or not, Shohei wiring money to an illegal bookie is a problem. Or at least it should be. I want to believe this bolded phrase is true but the Astros and Red Sox imply otherwise. No surprise here if Ohtani is considered too big to fail by Manfred and gets off scot-free. Looks like the Dodgers plan to stonewall the media and pretend nothing's even happening.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we can be pretty sure the interpreter did not steal stuff when Ohtani freely gave him money,
    You are making an assumption on the money being freely given (which is being openly disputed), and your conclusion is flawed regardless, as it is absolutely possible to defraud someone by misleading them into approving a transaction.

People should consider letting the facts come out before jumping to conclusions.

You are making an assumption on the money being freely given (which is being openly disputed), and your conclusion is flawed regardless, as it is absolutely possible to defraud someone by misleading them into approving a transaction.

People should consider letting the facts come out before jumping to conclusions.
    good luck with that theory. They tried leading with some semblance of the truth and when they realized what a mess they'd made, along came the massive theft allegation. As usual, it's the coverup.

The problem is that MLB has shown that it isn’t interested in punishing stars or getting to the bottom of what happened (see: the Astros, steroids, etc).

Conclusion jumping is my primary form of exercise.

Injured Redbirds!

The Cardinals will open the season with 2 of their starting outfielders and their best starter on the injured list. Leftfielder, Lars Nootbar (ribs), centerfielder, Tommy Edman (wrist) and #1 starter, Sonny Gray (hamstring) on the injured list. Gray is mostly recovered from his hamstring injury but hasn't pitched enough in spring training to help the big league club. They also have two relief pitchers that will be on the injured list as well. Not a good way to begin the season against a real good Dodger team in LA. The team had hoped to get off to good start to the season after their terrible 2023 last place finish in the NL Central. Starters acquired in the offseason, Kyle Gibson and Lance Lynn had very unimpressive spring trainings. So things don't look positive just now.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The Cardinals will open the season with 2 of their starting outfielders and their best starter on the injured list. Leftfielder, Lars Nootbar (ribs), centerfielder, Tommy Edman (wrist) and #1 starter, Sonny Gray (hamstring) on the injured list. Gray is mostly recovered from his hamstring injury but hasn't pitched enough in spring training to help the big league club. They also have two relief pitchers that will be on the injured list as well. Not a good way to begin the season against a real good Dodger team in LA. The team had hoped to get off to good start to the season after their terrible 2023 last place finish in the NL Central. Starters acquired in the offseason, Kyle Gibson and Lance Lynn had very unimpressive spring trainings. So things don't look positive just now.
    The Dodgers have five SPs and two RPs on the IL (not counting Ohtani):

Kershaw
    Buehler
    May
    Gonsolin
    Sheehan
    Treinen
    Graterol

It seems like a league-wide issue, with lots of high profile pitchers injured (deGrom, Scherzer, Cole, Giolito, Alcantara, Gausman, Verlander, Senga, etc.). I would be interested in seeing if there is a statistically significant link between pitcher injuries and the introduction of the pitch clock.

The Dodgers have five SPs and two RPs on the IL (not counting Ohtani):

Kershaw
    Buehler
    May
    Gonsolin
    Sheehan
    Treinen
    Graterol

It seems like a league-wide issue, with lots of high profile pitchers injured (deGrom, Scherzer, Cole, Giolito, Alcantara, Gausman, Verlander, Senga, etc.). I would be interested in seeing if there is a statistically significant link between pitcher injuries and the introduction of the pitch clock.
    I'll see if I can find a link, but pitching injuries in the minor leagues actually decreased slightly after the pitch clock was introduced. I think the most likely explanation is pitching labs. Maximizing velocity and spin is great for results, but we may have pushed past what the human body is actually capable of in the long term.

Ohtani let it be known today that he would address the facts — tomorrow.

He should have starved this of oxygen, if he could, before it became a big story. I look forward to what he has to say to the media tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39801744/ohtani-address-media-first-interpreter-fired

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Ohtani let it be known today that he would address the facts — tomorrow.

He should have starved this of oxygen, if he could, before it became a big story. I look forward to what he has to say to the media tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...erpreter-fired
    What he had to say was frankly not very believable. And in direct contrast to his original statement on the matter made before he had counsel coaching him. At the very least it appears to me that Ohtani agreed to pay this guys gambling debts. It could be worse than that but not enough info is out there yet to say. Baseball will
    do everything possible to avoid suspending the game’s greatest player but at some point its hand may be forced.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What he had to say was frankly not very believable. And in direct contrast to his original statement on the matter made before he had counsel coaching him. At the very least it appears to me that Ohtani agreed to pay this guys gambling debts. It could be worse than that but not enough info is out there yet to say. Baseball will
    do everything possible to avoid suspending the game’s greatest player but at some point its hand may be forced.
    You seem confused. This WAS Ohtani’s original statement on the matter. The first version was told by the alleged thief himself (Ippei) and omitted the part about the stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    yeah, the original story (bailing out a friend) was clear and made sense, then the lawyers got involved. Their version is so over the top that reporters openly asked Ohtani if he was just reading what they told him to say. Which it appeared he was doing.

Given that Ohtani is the sport's biggest star and there's no indication (that we know of) that he gambled, I don't see how the truth would jeopardize him. Interesting to see how this unfolds. I can see Ohtani and his pal making nice in private and going along with this version, but I don't see how the interpreter is going to accept being prosecuted for a "massive theft." That's when it gets tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, the original story (bailing out a friend) was clear and made sense, then the lawyers got involved. Their version is so over the top that reporters openly asked Ohtani if he was just reading what they told him to say. Which it appeared he was doing.

Given that Ohtani is the sport's biggest star and there's no indication (that we know of) that he gambled, I don't see how the truth would jeopardize him. Interesting to see how this unfolds. I can see Ohtani and his pal making nice in private and going along with this version, but I don't see how the interpreter is going to accept being prosecuted for a "massive theft." That's when it gets tricky.
    Yeah it may eve op being a question of whether the interpreter is willing to go to prison (potentially) in order to protect Ohtani.

Realistically there is no way that Ohtani wasn’t involved in this somehow. No bookie is gonna permit the interpreter to run up $4.5 MILLION dollars in debt without that debt being secured by somebody who reliably could come up with the kind of money to repay the debt. That’s where Ohtani — and his knowledge of the situation, not a “theft” — comes in.