View Poll Results: Which sucks the most?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 for 18

7 7.00%
  • 103-73

3 3.00%
  • Pervis Ellison

23 23.00%
  • Jim Calhoun

23 23.00%
  • Boozer was fouled!

15 15.00%
  • Tony Lang can't reach Scotty Thurman

16 16.00%
  • Tampa/St. Pete general ennui

8 8.00%
  • Losing to NC State on Thursday

5 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which sucks the most?

Everyone's so happy today, I thought it would be useful to rank recent events on the continuum of sucktitude.

Tampa

I hope DUKE never plays there again!!

What is 3-18?
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    What is 3-18?
    How soon we 4-get.

Ha, ha. Nice hint.

I hate UConn so it received my vote.

I still have nightmares about Scotty Thurman's shot in '94.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    How soon we 4-get.
    Thanks.

Perv. gets my vote. No loss hurts as much as a champioship game loss, IMHO. But I do feel so bad for JJ. When I think of him coming out of the game for the last time I get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Well, I can't bear to think about it much so I have never dwelt on the stats of that game.
    The Gordog

The Arkansas game. I was standing DIRECTLY under our 3 banners watching that game, and it was EASILY the worst moment of my four years at Duke.

3 banners? In 1994?

It's been over 20 years, and Pervis Ellison's name still gives me chills. That year was rightfully ours, and it still hurts...

It wasn't just that Boozer was fouled, it was that JWill missed the preceeding free throw... ugh, still hurts to this day.

No FINAL FOURS 95-98

My 4 years of school. I grew up in NC fending off all my UNC friends and went to Duke to becomet the only class to matriculate at Duke since 1982 in which we didn't make the Final Four in one of the years. A streak that's ongoing...

'86, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '94, '99, '01, '04. A glaring set...at least to me...of "missing years"...

But if we don't make it next year, the class of '98 is not alone anymore...

Boozer

Brings the most pain for me. Not only was he fouled, costing us the chance to possibly repeat, but on a personal level, I stayed up with the flu to watch the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon98er View Post
    My 4 years of school. I grew up in NC fending off all my UNC friends and went to Duke to becomet the only class to matriculate at Duke since 1982 in which we didn't make the Final Four in one of the years. A streak that's ongoing...

'86, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '94, '99, '01, '04. A glaring set...at least to me...of "missing years"...

But if we don't make it next year, the class of '98 is not alone anymore...
    I didn't realize it... but Markie is "on the clock" for next year... presuming we don't pull our own version of George Mason this season.

Quote Originally Posted by duke24/7 View Post
    Brings the most pain for me. Not only was he fouled, costing us the chance to possibly repeat, but on a personal level, I stayed up with the flu to watch the entire game.
    i was packing for my near-annual trip to VEGAS with my Nicholas School classmates while watching the Boozer/Indiana game. UGH UGH UGH.

However, I voted for St. Pete. I got on a plane in Mexico on March 22, 1998 bound for RDU (heading back to campus) just before halftime, up quite a bit, and feeling pretty comfortable about going to the FF in my final year of grad school at Duke. I landed with my headphones on, to catch the postgame presser on the radio, and hear Coach K saying, "I just feel really bad for our seniors." Now THAT was one painful memory I won't soon forget.

Possibly the worst part was my plane was 3 hours late taking off, so i was supposed to be back in time for most of the game, if not the entire game. :-( I blame myself for that loss.
    Last edited by MattyB.; 03-09-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Pervis Ellison

It is an easy choice for me. In 1986, as a 26 year old man, I sat on the floor in my San Diego apartment, with tears in my eyes, as time expired. I was soooooooooooo disappointed! Just thinking about it makes me hurt.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

You couldn't have... we only had two banners then! A bit of wishful thinking...
    DukeDevilDeb

i voted for 86 but that uconn loss was pretty bad.

Tough, tough call

This was a tough poll, because 4 of the choices really resonated with me:

1) The 1986 loss was my first championship loss as a Duke fan.
    2) The 1994 loss really hurt because I loved Grant and thought we were the better team.
    3) The Boozer play was a killer because he definitely was fouled, big time, and we should have won that game and gone on to repeat.

4) MY VOTE WENT TO "JIM CALHOUN" for a simple reason: The guy denied us, not one but, two freakin' championships!!! I can't think of anything that can top that since I've been following Duke basketball.

I still get sick when I think that the '99 team, perhaps the most dominant Duke team in history, didn't win. I was so unbelievably confident that they'd cut down the nets that year that it's not even funny. That cured me from ever thinking something in sports is a "sure thing." Even though UConn was the second best team in the country that year, I had no doubt they couldn't hang with us and championship #3 was in the bag. God that hurt.

Gary

1986!

1986 gets my vote. Man, that was such a downer! I was home in Durham on spring break sitting on my Mom's coach with my girlfriend watching the game and when it ended I went outside and screamed at the top of my lungs for several minutes. I was so bummed! Trying to explain the feeling to my girlfriend was impossible.

Actually, all those things sucked! Its a good thing I don't get so emotionally invested in the games anymore... oh, wait... yes I do.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil