Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Normk told us Miami was this bad, but I was happy to see that a good game from the whole team could make them look this bad. What an epic beatdown!!!

In the presser, Jon went out of his way to heap praise on Jeremy, saying he’s having an incredible season and that Duke fans need to appreciate the increasingly rare occurrence of having a senior this good.

He also singled out Flip for major praise, especially on defense.

They missed a lot of make-able shots but the D was stout! Our defense has come such a long way.

6 different players made 3s.

McCain’s dunk was the play of the game. Despite his regression from his insane FSU performance, he somehow managed to be +27.

Proctor looked as good as we could hope for, seemed 100% and quick and decisive with his drivea.

Mitchell dominated the first 5 minutes and kept producing throughout.

Very happy to see extensive bench usage.

When they showed Bilas and Shulman’s wives, I thought they were sisters. Smart move, ladies, to decide that Miami in February might be a good time to join the husbands for a work trip.

So glad to go 2-0 on the Florida swing. Let’s hope we’re at full health and strength for a big game in W-S on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Jumped to 8 in KenPom.

-jk
    Kenpom and Torvik are finally converging for us. We need to keep it up.

Flip played winning basketball from start to finish. That was really good to see.

Mitchell is a Swiss Army knife.

Roach was very good.

The defense really impressed me. Starting to gel. And on offense, gold ball sharing.

Once again, Coach S shows that his teams mature over the course of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I don't remember this much negativity about our coach and our players on this board in years past. Is it just me?
    Methinks it's just you and recency bias (no offense intended, just answering your question). Just for example, Remember Roach as a freshman? People wanted to run him out of town... until the tournament. Then he put it all together. It can happen for any player, something just clicks. Trouble is, no one knows when (or if) that it will happen. Of course, we all hope it will happen for all Devils.

Also, there's a difference between criticism and bashing. Both are negative, but there is a difference.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Methinks it's just you and recency bias (no offense intended, just answering your question). Just for example, Remember Roach as a freshman? People wanted to run him out of town... until the tournament. Then he put it all together. It can happen for any player, something just clicks.
    We didn’t play in the tournament in Roach’s freshman year.

If you’re talking about his sophomore year, I don’t remember anyone wanting to run him out. In fact, there was a small group, myself included, who thought the key to the season was to give Roach the keys aka living on Roach Island.

Congrats to Coach Scheyer for getting a winning road record. Here’s to adding another win this weekend.

Duke 84, Miami 55 (recap, box score, highlights, postgame presser)

Jeremy Roach scored a game-high 16 points, including 4-of-6 from beyond the arc – matching his season-high (at Virginia Tech, Jan. 29). Wednesday night was the 15th career game with at least three 3-pointers for Roach. Duke is now 13-2 in those games.

Mark Mitchell scored 15 total points, fueled by 10 in the first half. Mitchell now has 33 games in his career with at least 10 points. Duke is 30-3 in such games.

Kyle Filipowski poured in 15 points alongside six boards, four assists and three blocks, all while committing just one turnover.

Tyrese Proctor returned from a one-game absence (concussion protocol) and scored 12 points while dishing a team-high five assists.

Caleb Foster drilled three 3-pointers en route to 11 total points, while also snagging three caroms and distributing two assists.

Ryan Young matched his season-best rebounding effort with a team-best nine boards in under 10 minutes of action. He made both of his field goal attempts to finish with four points and dished out a pair of assists.

The postgame presser link above combines comments from Miami's Jim Larrañaga and Bensley Joseph and Duke's Jon Scheyer.

Nice game. I missed the first half but saw the McCain dunk highlight at half. Missed Flip’s slick reverse jam highlight until this morning. That kinda finish from Flip is praiseworthy! I hoped for 2 of 3 wins on the road so check that off. A win a Wake is gravy. However, I very much want Duke to win a regular season ACC title just because it has been so long so bring on the gravy! Mitchell is playing great, Proctor is working his way back into form and Stewart is adding some post depth. Fingers crossed but the plan seems to be coming together. Having so many shooters is a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Not to denigrate Foster, but the offense looks slower and more static with him at the point. Lots of dribbling and one on one play. Proctor is much more of a playmaker and the offense seems to flow better with him at the point. It's a luxury to have two options along with Roach and McCain who are good ball handlers in their own right.

One stat of note tonight was only one TO for Flip. He forced things less tonight and was more efficient.
    Have to say I've been thinking the same. Don't know that I noticed it much last night, but definitely in the past.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    And up to 9 in Bartovik
    Duke's ratings in KenPom and T-rank have converged, after being quite different for most of the season.

EDIT: simplyluvin beat me to it.
    Last edited by MChambers; 02-22-2024 at 07:52 AM.

I thought everyone played within themselves. I know that's a common one-liner, but I did not see anyone trying to do something out of the scope of THEIR game. Especially true with Flip, short of one or two spin moves. Ball movement was great and switching defense protected the drives to the lane. A few careless turnovers, and some lack of defense boarding at times, but overall, really good performance, albeit against a lesser team. Big test on Saturday but this momentum will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Not to denigrate Foster, but the offense looks slower and more static with him at the point. Lots of dribbling and one on one play. Proctor is much more of a playmaker and the offense seems to flow better with him at the point. It's a luxury to have two options along with Roach and McCain who are good ball handlers in their own right.

One stat of note tonight was only one TO for Flip. He forced things less tonight and was more efficient.
    From Flip himself in post-game comments:

On his thought process with possession in the post:
    “I'm just trying to read the defense, to be honest. Coach [Scheyer] has been saying and showing me a little bit with my turnovers the last few
    games, how teams have been game-planning for me passing out the post and in the short roll and stuff. I was just trying to be a lot more patient
    tonight. I think I did a good job of that.
    And like I said, it's really just about what I see in the defense. Read and react.”

Three thoughts:
    1) That highlight reel Brevity posted had some very "unbiased" editing that made it seem (if you couldn't see the score) like a tightly contested game between evenly matched teams;
    2) I didn't really know McClain could jam like that. Not on the same plane, but at the moment it happened I had a flashback to Phil Henderson over Mourning; and
    3) I live in Miami and went to last year's beatdown of our beloved Devils. So I didn't go this year, and we won handily. You're welcome. Feel free to vote for me for MOTM. (Apparently I am the Bizarro World NormK).

Just a daily reminder that Roach is now hitting 46% of his 3s on the year.

I want to state that I am here to eat my crow. I commented before the season that I was afraid this team's ceiling would be capped by Roach returning but I could not have been more wrong. The way that he's elevated his game AND been a leader for this team while not pushing his own game has been remarkable.

The metrics in this one look better than they "should", given that Miami was missing two key starters from a team that isn't very deep. Still, we did exactly what you'd hope to do against an undermanned opponent, which is all you can ask for. Great game from the Devils!

OFFENSE
    Possessions: 60.3 (a very slow pace)
    oRtg: 139.3 (142.4 adjusted; amazing, would be by far the #1 nationally)
    eFG%: 63.9% (outstanding)
    3pt%: 44.8% (very strong)
    2pt%: 60.0% (excellent)
    %threes: 53.7% (REALLY high, but we made a bunch)
    FT rate: 38.9% (middle of the road)
    OR%: 48.3% (outstanding)
    TO%: 16.6% (high for us, but still better than average)
    a/to: 1.90 (solid)
    %assisted: 67.9% (excellent)
    fast break pts: 12 (decent)

DEFENSE
    dRtg: 91.2 (88.2 adjusted; excellent, would be #2 nationally)
    eFG%: 36.1% (outstanding)
    3pt%: 24.0% (amazing)
    2pt%: 36.1% (poor)
    %threes: 41.0% (a bit high)
    FT rate: 23.0% (excellent)
    DR%: 63.6% (surprisingly poor, given we usually DRebound well and Miami isn't a good ORebound team)
    TO%: 14.9% (poor, but Miami is very good at avoiding turnovers)
    a/to: 1.22 (decent)
    stl%: 6.6% (poor)
    blk%: 11.1% (2pt shots) (decent)
    fast break pts: 4 (strong)

We slightly lost the turnover battle, we won the FT battle, we won the rebounding battle, and we dominated the eFG% battle. That is a recipe for a blowout win. Fantastic performance on everything except for defensive rebounding, where we let an undersized team get more second chances than they usually do and more than we usually allow. Aside from that though, pretty much everything else went the way we'd want it to go, and we even outrebounded them thanks to dominating our offensive glass.

Hopefully the team is ready for what should be a much tougher test this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Yes! Thanks. 7 rebounds in 11 minutes. The kid is playing hard.

I don't remember this much negativity about our coach and our players on this board in years past. Is it just me?
    The amount of hate Sean Stewart gets relative to the minutes he plays has to be an all time high. He's insanely athletic and plays hard but he's a step behind on defensive positioning....which is why he plays limited minutes. It's baffling to me that people write about him like he's playing 25-30 minutes and costing the team games. He probably was never taught proper help side positioning, there are a ton of high school and AAU coaches who defensive "instruction" is basically you guard that guy, and now he's trying to learn at the highest level. Can we cut the kid on our team a break?

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Just a daily reminder that Roach is now hitting 46% of his 3s on the year.

I want to state that I am here to eat my crow. I commented before the season that I was afraid this team's ceiling would be capped by Roach returning but I could not have been more wrong. The way that he's elevated his game AND been a leader for this team while not pushing his own game has been remarkable.
    Bilas called his game "mature" about 18 times during the broadcast. I'd use the term "solid" myself. I love his game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The metrics in this one look better than they "should", given that Miami was missing two key starters from a team that isn't very deep. Still, we did exactly what you'd hope to do against an undermanned opponent, which is all you can ask for. Great game from the Devils!

OFFENSE
    Possessions: 60.3 (a very slow pace)
    oRtg: 139.3 (142.4 adjusted; amazing, would be by far the #1 nationally)
    eFG%: 63.9% (outstanding)
    3pt%: 44.8% (very strong)
    2pt%: 60.0% (excellent)
    %threes: 53.7% (REALLY high, but we made a bunch)
    FT rate: 38.9% (middle of the road)
    OR%: 48.3% (outstanding)
    TO%: 16.6% (high for us, but still better than average)
    a/to: 1.90 (solid)
    %assisted: 67.9% (excellent)
    fast break pts: 12 (decent)

DEFENSE
    dRtg: 91.2 (88.2 adjusted; excellent, would be #2 nationally)
    eFG%: 36.1% (outstanding)
    3pt%: 24.0% (amazing)
    2pt%: 36.1% (poor)
    %threes: 41.0% (a bit high)
    FT rate: 23.0% (excellent)
    DR%: 63.6% (surprisingly poor, given we usually DRebound well and Miami isn't a good ORebound team)
    TO%: 14.9% (poor, but Miami is very good at avoiding turnovers)
    a/to: 1.22 (decent)
    stl%: 6.6% (poor)
    blk%: 11.1% (2pt shots) (decent)
    fast break pts: 4 (strong)

We slightly lost the turnover battle, we won the FT battle, we won the rebounding battle, and we dominated the eFG% battle. That is a recipe for a blowout win. Fantastic performance on everything except for defensive rebounding, where we let an undersized team get more second chances than they usually do and more than we usually allow. Aside from that though, pretty much everything else went the way we'd want it to go, and we even outrebounded them thanks to dominating our offensive glass.

Hopefully the team is ready for what should be a much tougher test this weekend.
    Thanks for the breakdown as always.

I think the poor defensive rebounding was the trade off for holding Miami to low EFG - the "switch everything" defense often had Flip or Mitchell contesting shots at the perimeter, leaving our guards to try to box out Miami's bigs. But then the Duke bigs did a good job recovering to contest the Miami put backs so everything worked out.

Also minor typo on Miami's 2pt % - it is poor for them but excellent for Duke!

IMG_1050.jpgIMG_1049.jpg

My favorite part of the game was the other players’ reaction to McCain’s dunk. I don’t think they knew he could do that!

I went to the BC game and saw Bego make 25 straight threes in warmups, barely touching the rim! Too bad to see him airball.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Not much to complain about, beat a shorthanded, overmatched team and beat them badly, the way a good team is supposed to. And this Duke team is very good and getting better.

If you had to nitpick, first ten minutes of the second half were a little rough with all the fouling and getting into the bonus (and double bonus) early, plus a brief flurry of sloppiness. But after the flagrant 1 on Omier, it was academic. I really liked the way we stepped on their necks at the end and built up the margin.

Defense looks miles better than it did to start the year, rarely made mistakes on the switches and when someone on Miami got a step on their man, the help defense was excellent.

All the Bilas praise for Roach was well deserved and not just the typical generic announcer-speak. Thought Flip played well and within himself despite a couple of ugly turnovers or near-turnovers. Rarely forced anything and took advantage of the chances he got when the defense opened up.

Jon’s mixing and matching with lineups has looked better as well now that the team is gelling. Double big lineup with Flip and Ryan worked considerably better than I would have expected, Ryan’s activity was very good.
    We've watched inferior teams beat us in recent years, usually because a veteran or two has stepped up and done what experienced, talented players do. Our guys with Jeremy-level talent don't often stick around.

He's the kind of player we've been needing. Time in the system, slowly eliminating the weaker parts of his game, and using all that experience to make us a better team. What would make a Duke fan want Jeremy to leave is beyond me. If he's game, we can certainly use him next year.

I'm a big fan, can you tell?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!