Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Great win against an undermanned Miami team. Flip looked really good. Thought Roach played one of his best games of the year, Mitchell solid as well. Good to see Tyrese back and he played well too, love the way he runs the offense. Stewart has a lot of natural talent, but he needs to grow up a bit. Didn’t like the way he sulked when Scheyer took him out after another senseless foul. But, good road win. Got a tough one in Winston Salem on Sat. Need to be ready! Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Great win against an undermanned Miami team. Flip looked really good. Thought Roach played one of his best games of the year, Mitchell solid as well. Good to see Tyrese back and he played well too, love the way he runs the offense. Stewart has a lot of natural talent, but he needs to grow up a bit. Didn’t like the way he sulked when Scheyer took him out after another senseless foul. But, good road win. Got a tough one in Winston Salem on Sat. Need to be ready! Go Duke!
    I thoroughly enjoyed last night as well, but always be careful of outliers. This was a game score of 100 like the game @Pitt. See if you can find the 2nd Pitt game on Torvik's chart. I do like Torvik's trend line.

Link: https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duke&year=2024

PS - I like the road "revenge" tour theme with VT and Miami. I hope NCSU is next since UVA isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    The fouls were actually 10-2 early in the 2nd; I remember because I mentioned it in the in-game thread. They were in the double bonus, while they had only been whistled for 2 fouls.

And those commenting in the in-game thread definitely noticed.
    Yep. It was actually 8-1 and 10-2 at points. Heck, I think it may have been 15-5 as well (although once Miami got into the double bonus I couldn't keep track so I was guessing on the last one). But it was really ridiculous, especially considering Miami was playing D like FSU and really going at it hard. We dismantled them well, but they were handsy and all over the place. They sure as heck were committing more fouls than they were being called for in that 2nd half.

In his postgame presser, Coach Jon Scheyer said statistically, Roach quietly is having an all time great Duke senior guard year. He compared Roach’s stats to Quinn Cook’s senior year stats in 2014-2015.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed last night as well, but always be careful of outliers. This was a game score of 100 like the game @Pitt. See if you can find the 2nd Pitt game on Torvik's chart. I do like Torvik's trend line.

PS - I like the road "revenge" tour theme with VT and Miami. I hope NCSU is next since UVA isn't an option.
    I don't know the intricacies of Torvik's methodology, but it's interesting (and encouraging?) that 3 of our 5 losses were MAJOR outliers in our overall performance on the year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I don't know the intricacies of Torvik's methodology, but it's interesting (and encouraging?) that 3 of our 5 losses were MAJOR outliers in our overall performance on the year.
    3/5 major negative outliers (SIU, AR, GT) also were consecutive games, which is even more encouraging...even if had the misfortune of seeing 2/3 in person.

That was the best we've played the whole season! I was so impressed with our hustle and unselfish play. This team seems to be clicking at the right time. We may drop another game or 2 before it's over, but we're playing the way we need to play to reach this team's ceiling. We didn't force anything on offense, trusted each other, and moved the ball so well. Beautiful basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    This last point. Roach isn't typically a high-usage player and he doesn't force things. Last night, he had more open looks than typical, so he took the shots (And knocked them down). But in other games where maybe he doesn't put up gaudy numbers he doesn't HURT the team by forcing shots and trying to "get his." Very unselfish player. Very consistent.
    I 100% agree that Roach has been great at not forcing things, and has been content to let others "get theirs". Unfortunately as a result I don't think Jerm is getting enough recognition for what a great year he is having, as there is virtually no All ACC buzz for him. But look at his numbers next to RJ Davis:

Name Shooting MPG FGA Rebs Assist TO Steals Pts
    Roach 0.493/0.448/0.864 31.7 10.0 2.4 3.2 1.2 1.2 14.0
    Davis 0.451/0.410/0.904 34.8 16.4 3.6 3.6 1.5 1.2 21.3
    Roach is shooting better everywhere but the FT line. Davis is scoring 52% more than Roach in 10% more minutes and on 64% more shot attempts. Davis has 13% more assists per game but 25% more TOs. Davis is a better rebounder. Overall, yes it is harder to maintain efficiency on increased shot volume so no argument from me that Davis is having a better year, but for Davis to be frontrunner for POY and Roach to not be on the radar I think under-sells Roach's excellent performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Just compared Jeremy's stats to Quinn Cook's senior year. Very, very similar. Biggest difference is Quinn shot 39% from 3 and Jeremy is shooting 46%.

Quinn made some good money playing in the NBA. Won championships. Will Jeremy get a shot?
    Here is Roach's senior year statistically compared to Cook's senior year:

Cook 0.536/0.395/0.891 35.8 11.3 3.4 2.6 1.2 1.0 15.3
    Overall good comp - Cook shot better from 2 and the line; Roach better from 3. Cook rebounded better; Roach assists better.

Additionally, I think Jeremy's aspirational NBA comp might be someone like Kyle Lowry, who played at Villanova at 6'0 175 compared to Roach's 6'1 175. Final college season stats as follows:

Lowry 0.468/0.444/0.786 29.3 7.6 4.3 3.7 2.1 2.3 11.0
    Roach is a slightly better shooter on higher volume, with slightly fewer assists but also fewer TOs; Lowry superior in rebounding and steals. And what stats don't is that Lowry was exceptionally strong and a plus defender. But Lowry was also a 6 time All Star - not saying that is the future for Roach but I think there is a chance he could contribute in the NBA given his improved shooting this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Stewart has a lot of natural talent, but he needs to grow up a bit. Didn’t like the way he sulked when Scheyer took him out after another senseless foul.
    If I'm thinking of the same play, I saw it as him being upset with himself for his errors more so than being pulled. But agreed, Stewart just needs to work on little stuff because his natural talent is very apparent. I think he will be a really good player in a few years

Quote Originally Posted by Mrezt View Post
    If I'm thinking of the same play, I saw it as him being upset with himself for his errors more so than being pulled. But agreed, Stewart just needs to work on little stuff because his natural talent is very apparent. I think he will be a really good player in a few years
    Here's a good statistical summary of Stewart's year at Duke:

Per 40 minutes (excluding Reeves and walk ons):
    15.3 Rebounds - leads team
    3.0 Steals - leads team
    2.1 Blocks - 2nd to Flip at 2.3
    4.3 Fouls - leads team
    1.8 TOs - 4th

So this just confirms what we see with our eyes - super high energy and very productive in his role, but just in need of some refinement and discipline. I have high hopes for him.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That's true of most good team's performances. If a good team plays to its ability, they are likely to win. What would be more encouraging is if our losses came in better performances (i.e., having a profile without those 5 games with sub-60 game scores; Torvik's scale for game scores is 0-100).

What IS encouraging is that 2 of those losses came with us missing key players.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

3.0 Steals - leads team
    4.3 Fouls - leads team
    1.8 TOs - 4th

So this just confirms what we see with our eyes - super high energy and very productive in his role, but just in need of some refinement and discipline. I have high hopes for him.
    What I noticed more in the game I attended, and have noticed some on TV, is that Stewart is very hard on himself. He can make some plays no one else on the team can make but then hang his head when he makes a mistake (that, possibly, no one else on the team would make). In terms of interaction with the coaches, I saw them trying to encourage him and lift his spirits. I didn't see Stewart disrespecting the coaches at all. I love the energy and enthusiasm he brings.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

For all of his greatness, I think there was a perception that many of Coach K's later teams peaked somewhat early in the season. There is some evidence to support this in Torvik's season long game score trendlines.

Only 2 of Coach K's final 15 teams ended the season with a game score "upslope" (+0.2 or greater). These were a) the 2010 Championship team and b) the weird 2021 COVID season. 9 of Coach K's final 15 seasons finished with a game score "downslope" (lower than -0.2).

It is way too early to draw any conclusions, but Jon's first two teams have both tended to play better games as the season progress. Last year's team had a slope of +0.2 and this year's team currently has a slope of +0.53. To some extent this makes sense as Jon's teams are particularly young in this age of 5th and 6th year seniors. There are still a bunch of games left this year*, but here's hoping that this trend continues.

Here is a summary of the slope of Duke's yearlong game scores going back to 2008. A positive slope (green) indicates improvement. A negative slope (red) shows a team which played better games early in the season.

Torvik Game Scores.jpg

*Due to the nature of a one-and-done tourney, most teams end the season with a below average game so it is a bit unfair to compare this year with other seasons which ended with a loss.
    Last edited by House P; 02-22-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Effort, energy & focus!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Loved our defensive strategy to switch on everything against a Miami team that historically tears us up on the high PNR. Even when they got a mismatch with one of our guards defending Omier, they couldn't take advantage because of our help and recovery. The effort and energy was great all game long. On offense we moved the ball and got everyone involved. Made the Miami defenders look like NBA All Stars... at the All Star game.
    Some of us have be kvetching about intensity, energy focus -- for good reason, we think. This game shows what it's like when everyone is really hustling. Our O moved with purpose and more crispness, and our D was lively and intense. Miami's missing two key players certainly affected the score, but regardless of score I loved watching our team. They began with intensity, as though they were down with a couple of minutes left at the end of the game.

Flip played strong and with more care and poise. Again loved Ryan's steady contribution. Mark was in good Beast Mode. And then there's Jeremy. Love his poise.

It's fun watching our team when they play with this kind of intensity and focus. Thanks, team!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

3.0 Steals - leads team
    4.3 Fouls - leads team
    1.8 TOs - 4th

I'm getting 7.2 fouls per 40 minutes (32/178*40). He has only 2 assists for the season. He's got a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gaap View Post
    I'm getting 7.2 fouls per 40 minutes (32/178*40). He has only 2 assists for the season. He's got a ways to go.
    D’oh! Stupid typo. Actual is 7.3 according to this site.

Very interesting stats!

3.0 Steals - leads team
    4.3 Fouls - leads team
    1.8 TOs - 4th

mkirsh, thanks for these Wow! Stewart stats. Very confirming: Our eyeballs did see Stewart's impact when he is on the court. Evidently, he's very coachable. Fouls and TOs can be reduced. Deploying his leaping ability effectively can be coached. I am encouraged that he leads the team in rebounds, given that we have Flip, Ryan and Mark on the team, and given that great rebounding requires savvy, skill and heart. Sean's development will be fun to watch!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I know we've mentioned Stewart here, but I want to mention what a great game Ryan Young had, as well. In only 10 minutes, he grabbed 9 boards, had a couple baskets, 2 assists, and did a fantastic job on Omier.

And of course the hustle play to break up Miami's fast break was just phenomenal.
    That was Ryan Young’s best game of the season. Doing the things that he was good at last year.

And who expects the 6’10 YMCA pickup game guy to break up a 4 on zero break? That was my play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    That was Ryan Young’s best game of the season. Doing the things that he was good at last year.

And who expects the 6’10 YMCA pickup game guy to break up a 4 on zero break? That was my play of the game.
    An A++ effort play. He saw the break developing and sprinted to make a difference. The announcers even focused on it.

Got to give him credit.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    An A++ effort play. He saw the break developing and sprinted to make a difference. The announcers even focused on it.

Got to give him credit.
    He can run! I loved his hustle, and he was great the whole game.