Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thatís gotta be a flagrant foul on Miami.

Might need to use the bench to protect our starters

LarraŮaga looks disinterested and constipated. Or both. Itís past his bedtime probably. He looks miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    ďTo begin a basketball game, a tip-off is typically used to determine the first possession of the game. Then, in the second half, the team that did not start with the ball in the first half gets the first possession (or TeamA-TeamB-TeamB-TeamA format for a 4 quarter game).Ē

https://sports.stackexchange.com/que...ent-possession

Iíve seen many games where there have been multiple alternating possessions in the first half, and regardless of who has the possession arrow, the team that didnít win the tipoff got the ball first in the second half. I canít find a rule to the contrary and this is the best Iíve got. I prefer to be correct than right, so if Iím wrong someone please correct me.

Go Duke! 9F
    Straight to the source, Rule 6, Section 3 (my bold):

Section 3. Alternating-Possession Procedure
    Art. 1. The alternating-possession procedure is a method of putting the ball in play with a throw-in rather than a jump ball.
    Art. 2. The alternating-possession procedure starts when an official places the ball at the disposal of a player for a throw-in. The alternating-possession procedure ends and the arrow is reversed immediately when a passed ball legally touches an inbounds player, when a player, who is located on the playing court, touches and causes the ball to be out of bounds, or when the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation.
    Art. 3. The team to be awarded the ball for the alternating-possession throw-in shall be indicated by the alternating-possession arrow.
    Art. 4. The team that does not obtain control of the initial jump ball shall start the alternating-possession procedure, when the next alternating-possession situation occurs, by being awarded the ball at a designated spot nearest to where the held ball occurred.
    Art. 5. After the initial jump ball or a jump ball at the start of an extra period(s), when control is not gained by either team that would establish the alternating possession procedure, a jump ball shall take place between any two opponents.
    Art. 6. Before the start of the second half, the direction of the possession arrow shall be changed to account for the teams switching ends of the court. The second half shall start with the team that controlled the alternating-possession arrow at the end of the first half given disposal of the ball at the division line opposite the scorers' table.
    Art. 7. The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in shall be lost when the throw-in team violates any throw-in provisions. (See Rule 9-4.)
    Art. 8. A foul by either team during an alternating-possession throw-in shall not cause the throw-in team to lose the alternating-possession arrow. However, if a warning or foul occurs before the throw-in ends, in which the penalty requires play to be resumed from the point of interruption, the subsequent throw-in is still an alternating possession throw-in.

-jk

Fair enough. Thanks

“To begin a basketball game, a tip-off is typically used to determine the first possession of the game. Then, in the second half, the team that did not start with the ball in the first half gets the first possession (or TeamA-TeamB-TeamB-TeamA format for a 4 quarter game).”

https://sports.stackexchange.com/que...ent-possession

I’ve seen many games where there have been multiple alternating possessions in the first half, and regardless of who has the possession arrow, the team that didn’t win the tipoff got the ball first in the second half. I can’t find a rule to the contrary and this is the best I’ve got. I prefer to be correct than right, so if I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Go Duke! 9F
    Rule 6, Section 3, Article 6 of the NCAA rulebook. Hope that's definitive enough for you. (edit: nm beat by a minute)

Before the start of the second half, the direction of the possession arrow shall be changed to account for the teams switching ends of the court. The second half shall start with the team that controlled the alternating-possession arrow at the end of the first half given disposal of the ball at the division line opposite the scorer’s table.

The rulebook PDF cost 10 bucks.
    I stand (sit) corrected.
    -cheap and easy

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    LarraŮaga looks disinterested and constipated. Or both. Itís past his bedtime probably. He looks miserable.
    I know he is a good guy outside of games, but his game face is that of a guy who yells at kids to keep off his lawn

The rulebook PDF cost 10 bucks.
    I stand (sit) corrected.
    -cheap and easy
    Free here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-46...line-only.aspx

Case book, free, too: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-46...line-only.aspx

Fun reads.

-jk

Coach S needs to take Flip out before the cane players hurt him. He is getting mauled!

67-42 good guys. 7:05 left. The fat lady is belting out chords like Bing Crosby in coral gables. Turn out the lights. This one is over!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I went to that page and could swear it had a $10 price tag. Thank you.
    -cheap and easy and Internet-challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Coach S needs to take Flip out before the cane players hurt him. He is getting mauled!
    Game over, but with selection metric crap, do we need to run up the score??

I went to that page and could swear it had a $10 price tag. Thank you.
    -cheap and easy and Internet-challenged
    Enjoy!

-jk

Donít take the foot off the gas. The metrics lurk. Need to win this by 30+.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Donít take the foot off the gas. The metrics lurk. Need to win this by 30+.
    I agree. But I think Scheyer is wired like Coach K, and doesnít want to embarrass anyone.

Glad to see Power get some burn. I hope Scheyer can find a few more minutes for him. I think he will be a good player for us next year if we can keep him.

Why no Stanley Borden ever?

DDMF!

-jk