Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    That is true. I've assumed, maybe incorrectly, that most or all of their targeted choices have teams that will be going the NCAA tourney and that there could be not announcements of those hiring until the targeted choice's team is out of the tourney.

We'll see what develops but you could well be correct.
    Often that's the case, but especially if you are looking at a up and coming mid-major coach it would make sense to start reaching out now at least.

Or you could be like Bobby Hurley; I think it's clear that even though his season isn't done he's ready to move. Aside from reporting that he's been involved in at least the DePaul search, ASU has a contract extension on the table for him that he's yet to sign.

As fans we don't like the idea of our coach talking to anyone before the season is over, but reality is shady. See one Mike Elko for proof.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I wonder if Payne agreed to waive that fee? $2 mil is not insignificant (you can land a few high-end portal dudes or recruits for that kind of money) and Lou would have been bonkers not to wait a couple weeks to officially terminate his deal. If Payne cares about the success of the program -- he's an alumnus and seems to love his school -- then maybe he would allow Louisville to get their search underway in a timely fashion and waive the payment (he's still going to make $6 mil in his buyout). Or perhaps he agreed to a lesser payment to allow things to progress faster.

That would really be the honorable thing to do. I mean, Louisville could have begun looking at candidates, doing interviews, and even making offers to folks with the caveat that you cannot actually take the job until April 1 after we fire Kenny Payne at 12:01am that day. If they just paid him $2 mil for no reason at all that seems crazy.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    As I understand it, from a Louisville friend, Louisville could have saved $2 million on Payne's buyout if they had terminated him after April 1. If correct, this just shows how much booster, funny money is available to big time programs.

It's like $2 million is a trivial sum,so let's just dump him. Someone will by the the $2 million penalty for not waiting another 2.5 weeks.
    How do we know it isn't termination effective after April 1? AD just said he will not be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Often that's the case, but especially if you are looking at a up and coming mid-major coach it would make sense to start reaching out now at least.

Or you could be like Bobby Hurley; I think it's clear that even though his season isn't done he's ready to move. Aside from reporting that he's been involved in at least the DePaul search, ASU has a contract extension on the table for him that he's yet to sign.

As fans we don't like the idea of our coach talking to anyone before the season is over, but reality is shady. See one Mike Elko for proof.
    All coaches have agents. All agents are willing to talk to ADs (or their headhunters). Why does the coach need to talk directly to any other schools?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    All coaches have agents. All agents are willing to talk to ADs (or their headhunters). Why does the coach need to talk directly to any other schools?
    Same difference.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stackhouse fired

Multiple news reports that Jerry Stackhouse is out at Vandy. They owe him something like $15 mil.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...13636156477939
    https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...15185926935036
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-14-2024 at 12:39 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Mike Boynton has been fired at Oklahoma State. Seems like there could be a lot of movement in power conference jobs this off-season.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...01004225671392
    https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...02342552637707

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mike Boynton has been fired at Oklahoma State. Seems like there could be a lot of movement in power conference jobs this off-season.
    Which is why I can't see Louisville waiting that two and a half weeks. If nothing else, they prevent their fanbase from raising hell.
    Those poor people have been tortured enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

ACC: Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Florida State

Big 12: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Arizona State

Big East: DePaul

Big Ten: Ohio State, Washington, UCLA, Michigan, USC

Pac-2: Washington State

SEC: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
    Do you think MSU will see a change? I personally think Izzo is tired of it all.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    There are some really interesting coaches who may be available this year.

- Dusty May and Kyle Smith - mentioned upthread.
    - Danny Sprinkle has done an amazing job at Utah State, finishing 1st the Mountain West after having to totally rebuild his roster.
    - Speaking of one year turnarounds, Will Wade has pulled off one of the best ever at McNeese State. They've improved their win total by 19 games, which is apparently a tie for the NCAA record, and gone from 335 to 62 in KenPom. Wade was a rising star until losing his LSU job for paying players... something that everyone does now. He's spent a year in purgatory and I think some high-major will make a move for him this offseason.
    - If you want more of a stable program builder, Pat Kelsey has taken Charleston to two straight Tournaments, after winning the Big South 3 times at Winthrop (technically two NCAA trips because they were denied a chance in 2020).

If I'm an Indiana (or NC State) fan, I'm pretty bummed at the thought of sticking with my current guy when any of the above could be available.
    Amir Abdur-Rahim at South Florida is getting a lot of attention. It's only his first year at USF, so what he's done is the very definition of a quick turnaround. After losing 4 of his first 6 games, he's only lost twice after Dec 2nd.

Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon may also get some looks after a 26-4 season, even though he struggled at Vanderbilt. I hear his brother Scott Drew mentioned for the Louisville job, but that sounds nuts to think that you can lure away a coach from a school where he has already won a national championship.

But to your point, Will Wade seems like the perfect cultural fit at Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Do you think MSU will see a change? I personally think Izzo is tired of it all.

- Chillin
    I debated including Michigan State. But under my criterion of more-likely-than-not, I couldn’t quite do it. Coach Izzo’s imminent retirement is a 50/50 proposition.

If he doesn’t leave now, one season of West Coast travel might convince him to retire in 2025. I think Drew Valentine waits either way.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Amir Abdur-Rahim at South Florida is getting a lot of attention. It's only his first year at USF, so what he's done is the very definition of a quick turnaround. After losing 4 of his first 6 games, he's only lost twice after Dec 2nd.

Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon may also get some looks after a 26-4 season, even though he struggled at Vanderbilt. I hear his brother Scott Drew mentioned for the Louisville job, but that sounds nuts to think that you can lure away a coach from a school where he has already won a national championship.

But to your point, Will Wade seems like the perfect cultural fit at Louisville.
    Amir Abdur-Rahim did a fantastic job at Kennesaw the few years prior too. Not sure he’s ready to move on after one year, but a name to watch for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Which is why I can't see Louisville waiting that two and a half weeks. If nothing else, they prevent their fanbase from raising hell.
    Those poor people have been tortured enough.
    No they haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    No they haven't.
    ‘86 still hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    No they haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ‘86 still hurts.
    I offer my retraction.

Looks like DePaul is going to be hiring former Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann. Seems like a pretty lousy job to me -- glad Hurley won't be subjecting himself to that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Multiple news reports that Jerry Stackhouse is out at Vandy. They owe him something like $15 mil.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...13636156477939
    https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...15185926935036
    Awfully tough job considering the academic restrictions, the very tough SEC competition, and the lack of a robust NIL program there. This year was terrible, but he did win 22 games last year and 19 the year before. Does Vanderbilt realistically expect better than that? Sheesh . . .

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I debated including Michigan State. But under my criterion of more-likely-than-not, I couldn’t quite do it. Coach Izzo’s imminent retirement is a 50/50 proposition.

If he doesn’t leave now, one season of West Coast travel might convince him to retire in 2025. I think Drew Valentine waits either way.
    Kind of surprised that you left off Keats. The Hurricanes have lodged a complaint with the Wolfpack Club that his seat is making it hard to keep the ice frozen in PNC.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Awfully tough job considering the academic restrictions, the very tough SEC competition, and the lack of a robust NIL program there. This year was terrible, but he did win 22 games last year and 19 the year before. Does Vanderbilt realistically expect better than that? Sheesh . . .
    As a Vandy alum, I wanted him to succeed. He is an good on court coach and showed he could develop players (see Scotty Pippen Jr., Dylan Disu, Aaron Nesmith, Saben Lee). He was deficient in scouting/recruiting and in general building the program. And it took him a while to figure out his lineups/rotations that would lead to success. But his teams didn't quit on him like they did in Bryce Drew's 3rd season. I really think his pre-Vandy gig as a G League coach may actually be the ideal job for him. He didn't have to recruit or program build, just focus on player development and in game coaching. I hope he realizes this and finds an opportunity at whatever level that capitalizes on those strengths.

Regarding 22 and 19 wins, during those two seasons they also lost 32 games, so a .561 win percentage. Overall he was 70-92. For better or worse, memories of peak Kevin Stallings era are still in people's minds. During that time( '06 to '12) they averaged 25 wins with a .701 win percentage, made The Big Dance 5 times in 6 years, one Sweet Sixteen and a 2012 SEC Tourney title over eventual national champion Kentucky. The goal is to get back to that level of success, particularly given how difficult it is to field a 8-9 win SEC football team. With all that said, the decision to sign him to an extension after last season was a clear mistake. It was a move that baffled many a Vandy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    As a Vandy alum, I wanted him to succeed. He is an good on court coach and showed he could develop players (see Scotty Pippen Jr., Dylan Disu, Aaron Nesmith, Saben Lee). He was deficient in scouting/recruiting and in general building the program. And it took him a while to figure out his lineups/rotations that would lead to success. But his teams didn't quit on him like they did in Bryce Drew's 3rd season. I really think his pre-Vandy gig as a G League coach may actually be the ideal job for him. He didn't have to recruit or program build, just focus on player development and in game coaching. I hope he realizes this and finds an opportunity at whatever level that capitalizes on those strengths.

Regarding 22 and 19 wins, during those two seasons they also lost 32 games, so a .561 win percentage. Overall he was 70-92. For better or worse, memories of peak Kevin Stallings era are still in people's minds. During that time( '06 to '12) they averaged 25 wins with a .701 win percentage, made The Big Dance 5 times in 6 years, one Sweet Sixteen and a 2012 SEC Tourney title over eventual national champion Kentucky. The goal is to get back to that level of success, particularly given how difficult it is to field a 8-9 win SEC football team. With all that said, the decision to sign him to an extension after last season was a clear mistake. It was a move that baffled many a Vandy fan.
    Yes they had a lot of success in the Stallings era. But then again, most of the SEC wasn’t really trying yet. Different level of commitment now.