Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Coach Larranaga either.
    Miami has the worst travel schedule in the conference next year.

Away games: Boston College, Cal, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, Pitt, Stanford

I don't see LarraŮaga making those flights to California and Boston next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow. What an amazing fall from Grace for Mike Davs.

The infamous 2002 Title Game run at IU, now 22 years later, 1-31 at Detroit Mercy.
    He was a really poor winner. Duke curse, karma, all that... couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Feel sorry for Nolan. I donít think it was the Homecoming he was looking for. He would have been a great holdover on Scheyerís staff.
    I'm sure Nolan learned a lot, e.g. what not to do? I don't think he wanted to be working under his old peer, Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Dusty already tops the list at Ohio State and Louisville. Woodson is no win situation at this point. IU giving him one more year without a contract extension pretty much guarantees failure. Not sure what his buyout is but seems like heís staying for money and theyíre keeping him for money. Louisville seems like the better of the 3 jobs to me.
    Yeah, NBA coaches shouldn't try to coach college and vice versa.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

A postmortem on the Louisville situation with an interesting note on Nolan Smith: https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...eca90e76a.html

But Smith was sensitive to criticism, had some contentious social media interactions with fans, and before the 2023-24 season interviewed with a G-League team, the Capital City GoGo. When athletics leadership concluded that Smith had been the source of a leak that resulted in national media reports saying Payne would be fired in December and Smith elevated to the head coaching job, Payne was advised to take the matter up with Smith.Smith remained on the staff, and what measures Payne may have taken were not known. Similarly, after his first season, Payne declined to shake up his staff after finishing 4-28, even when advised to by Heird

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    A postmortem on the Louisville situation with an interesting note on Nolan Smith: https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...eca90e76a.html
    This has evidently now been changed to
    ...Payne was told to discipline or even remove Smith from the staff.

I hope everyone knows what they are talking about, because this likely has done very real damage to Nolan's reputation. It's gaining significant traction on Xtwitter and certainly want help Smith land his next job, particularly as an assistant somewhere.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    This has evidently now been changed to
    ...Payne was told to discipline or even remove Smith from the staff.

I hope everyone knows what they are talking about, because this likely has done very real damage to Nolan's reputation. It's gaining significant traction on Xtwitter and certainly want help Smith land his next job, particularly as an assistant somewhere.
    Ouch, that's a terrible background story to take into a job hunt, especially coupled with a terrible record from the team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't think either guy would be interested in those jobs.
    Louisville, with a stellar history and very good community support would seem to be a pretty good job. I think that job is likely the best one available this season.

If you are a school that hires Dusty May this year you need to put a big ole buyout in that contract to prevent him from running off to Indiana the moment that job inevitably becomes open.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Speaking with some friends in Louisville circles the past couple of days, there are many fans who feel this is put out by people close to Payne, as he has been known to look to those around him as the cause of the problems instead of looking inward. They've also said he's had some beef with Nolan and has singled him out especially for blame, to the point where he wasn't talking to Nolan the past couple of months.

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. I think, just like the rumors that swirled when Nolan departed Duke, we should not rush to judgment over what's going on. The only thing we can confirm is that Louisville's program is an absolute mess, and they need someone who's willing to roll up their sleeves and clean it up.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Louisville, with a stellar history and very good community support would seem to be a pretty good job. I think that job is likely the best one available this season.

If you are a school that hires Dusty May this year you need to put a big ole buyout in that contract to prevent him from running off to Indiana the moment that job inevitably becomes open.
    Yeah but the problem is that Indiana job is highly likely to come open a year from today. It apparently was a close call for the administration to give Woodson another year. Then his best recruit decommitted. Then they didnít give Woodson a contract extension so he canít really recruit when kids donít know if heíll be around. Then Mgbako is gonna go pro. Woodson is doomed. Indiana woulda been smarter to just pull the plug on him now. Why waste a year? Itís the same mistake Louisville made with Payne.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

What other big jobs are likely to open up this season? Indiana said they would stick with Woodson, but they seem to be catching heat over that announcement. Michigan is roughly equivalent to Notre Dame and Georgia Tech this year, with ten times the drama and half as many wins. Ohio State doesn't feel quite on the same level as the others, but will still attract a lot of attention. The seats at Villanova and UCLA are heating up; I expect Neptune will get more time but Cronin might decide to start over somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    What other big jobs are likely to open up this season? Indiana said they would stick with Woodson, but they seem to be catching heat over that announcement. Michigan is roughly equivalent to Notre Dame and Georgia Tech this year, with ten times the drama and half as many wins. Ohio State doesn't feel quite on the same level as the others, but will still attract a lot of attention. The seats at Villanova and UCLA are heating up; I expect Neptune will get more time but Cronin might decide to start over somewhere else.
    Mick Cronin is a Cincinnati native and coached there for the better part of a quarter century. I could see Ohio State taking a run at him. Maybe heíd be interested. The NIL program at UCLA stinks. But heís making $4M per year and living in luxury in Southern California coaching at a program whose name still carries great cache. No snow shovels involved.

I think Michigan is gonna give Howard another year. One. But the roster is terrible and I donít think they have much coming in in terms of higher level HS recruits. And they had trouble in the portal with both Terrance Shannon and Caleb Love so Iím not sure what the plan is there really.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    What other big jobs are likely to open up this season?
    It's my opinion that the carousel will be unusually busy this year.

These are the post-alignment power conference teams that I think will see a coaching change (firing, resignation, voluntary move, retirement) this offseason. I'm including those openings (in bold) that have already been announced.

ACC: Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Florida State

Big 12: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Arizona State

Big East: DePaul

Big Ten: Ohio State, Washington, UCLA, Michigan, USC

Pac-2: Washington State

SEC: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma

Washington State is a good example of what I think will be an opening caused by a voluntary move. Kyle Smith is going to win Pac-12 Coach of the Year for taking a preseason 10th place prediction and finishing in 2nd place. He's coached in the Ivy League (Columbia) and in the Bay Area (USF). If/when the Stanford job opens up, his name makes a lot of sense, and I think he upgrades from a very uncertain Pac-2 situation. Welcome to the ACC.

I left off Central Florida because I thought Johnny Dawkins put together a minor miracle this season, if you saw how thin his personnel was late last summer and how tough the adjustment to the Big 12 was. The Knights were picked last in the conference's preseason poll, but they finished tied for 11th, with home wins over Kansas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma and road wins over Texas and TCU.

Speaking of Duke guys, I can't really gauge how serious Bobby Hurley is about moving on (or getting let go) from Arizona State. I think there's enough there -- the DePaul talk, the Sun Devils' move to the Big 12 -- to make me think a change is more likely than not.

Speaking of ASU, they just lost by 33 Wednesday night.

There are some really interesting coaches who may be available this year.

- Dusty May and Kyle Smith - mentioned upthread.
    - Danny Sprinkle has done an amazing job at Utah State, finishing 1st the Mountain West after having to totally rebuild his roster.
    - Speaking of one year turnarounds, Will Wade has pulled off one of the best ever at McNeese State. They've improved their win total by 19 games, which is apparently a tie for the NCAA record, and gone from 335 to 62 in KenPom. Wade was a rising star until losing his LSU job for paying players... something that everyone does now. He's spent a year in purgatory and I think some high-major will make a move for him this offseason.
    - If you want more of a stable program builder, Pat Kelsey has taken Charleston to two straight Tournaments, after winning the Big South 3 times at Winthrop (technically two NCAA trips because they were denied a chance in 2020).

If I'm an Indiana (or NC State) fan, I'm pretty bummed at the thought of sticking with my current guy when any of the above could be available.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Speaking with some friends in Louisville circles the past couple of days, there are many fans who feel this is put out by people close to Payne, as he has been known to look to those around him as the cause of the problems instead of looking inward. They've also said he's had some beef with Nolan and has singled him out especially for blame, to the point where he wasn't talking to Nolan the past couple of months.

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. I think, just like the rumors that swirled when Nolan departed Duke, we should not rush to judgment over what's going on. The only thing we can confirm is that Louisville's program is an absolute mess, and they need someone who's willing to roll up their sleeves and clean it up.
    Even if it's just finger pointing on the way out the door, everyone involved, including Nolan, set their careers back over the past two years.

For what it is worth Bar Stool is reporting that Nolan tried to get the coach fired so he could take the job during the season lol.

Mick Cronin is a Cincinnati native and coached there for the better part of a quarter century. I could see Ohio State taking a run at him. Maybe heíd be interested. The NIL program at UCLA stinks. But heís making $4M per year and living in luxury in Southern California coaching at a program whose name still carries great cache. No snow shovels involved.

I think Michigan is gonna give Howard another year. One. But the roster is terrible and I donít think they have much coming in in terms of higher level HS recruits. And they had trouble in the portal with both Terrance Shannon and Caleb Love so Iím not sure what the plan is there really.
    See post 14...I don't believe that Ohio State would ever hire Cronin.

Is Keatts coaching for his job tonight and in this tourney?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is Keatts coaching for his job tonight and in this tourney?
    Most definitely. Unless State somehow wins Saturday, I don't see him back next year. Winning tonight and tomorrow won't be enough. (And he ain't winning tonight.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

As I understand it, from a Louisville friend, Louisville could have saved $2 million on Payne's buyout if they had terminated him after April 1. If correct, this just shows how much booster, funny money is available to big time programs.

It's like $2 million is a trivial sum,so let's just dump him. Someone will by the the $2 million penalty for not waiting another 2.5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    As I understand it, from a Louisville friend, Louisville could have saved $2 million on Payne's buyout if they had terminated him after April 1. If correct, this just shows how much booster, funny money is available to big time programs.

It's like $2 million is a trivial sum,so let's just dump him. Someone will by the the $2 million penalty for not waiting another 2.5 weeks.
    2.5 weeks might equal missing out on your targeted choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    2.5 weeks might equal missing out on your targeted choices.
    That is true. I've assumed, maybe incorrectly, that most or all of their targeted choices have teams that will be going the NCAA tourney and that there could be not announcements of those hiring until the targeted choice's team is out of the tourney.

We'll see what develops but you could well be correct.