Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Matt Norlander's Court Report has an interview with Trilly Donovan
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...at-could-open/

One of the juicy tidbits was as follows:

Are you sitting on at least one piece of coaching carousel intel right now that you believe is greater than 95% to materialize in the next month?
    TD: Yes

Let's reveal the corner of that blind item: the conference it's related to.
    TD: ACC

A few days ago, Trilly published a coaching carousel breakdown
    https://burnerball.com/march-coachin...sel-breakdown/

It includes the following:

Coaches on Retirement Watch:
    Tony Bennett (Virginia) - the full list is longer and has many of the usual suspects discussed in the Jeff Goodman post upthread.

If he's listed Bennett, I guess it's not a blind item...but do you guys think he would walk away right now? All signs to him being unhappy with the new world of transfers and NIL, and the Virginia faithful that post here seem to agree that his championship blueprint isn't made for these times. That would be a real gut punch to the conference as we can't afford one of our tentpole programs to regress.

Trilly wielding his Vague Stick as well as ever. Yeah, when you have a team of, what., 15 teams, pretty easy to say there will be turnover...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Matt Norlander's Court Report has an interview with Trilly Donovan
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...at-could-open/

One of the juicy tidbits was as follows:

Are you sitting on at least one piece of coaching carousel intel right now that you believe is greater than 95% to materialize in the next month?
    TD: Yes

Let's reveal the corner of that blind item: the conference it's related to.
    TD: ACC

A few days ago, Trilly published a coaching carousel breakdown
    https://burnerball.com/march-coachin...sel-breakdown/

It includes the following:

Coaches on Retirement Watch:
    Tony Bennett (Virginia) - the full list is longer and has many of the usual suspects discussed in the Jeff Goodman post upthread.

If he's listed Bennett, I guess it's not a blind item...but do you guys think he would walk away right now? All signs to him being unhappy with the new world of transfers and NIL, and the Virginia faithful that post here seem to agree that his championship blueprint isn't made for these times. That would be a real gut punch to the conference as we can't afford one of our tentpole programs to regress.
    That would be one heck of a scoop if true... That said, I cannot imagine Bennett is even remotely contemplating retirement. He's simply far too young and too competitive. Now if he's contemplating a different type of coaching challenge, that would make more sense... Leonard Hamilton, on the other hand, I can totally see retiring at any point in time. Granted, I think he found the fountain of youth somewhere down there in Florida and will be coaching ACC hoops forever... But it wouldn't totally shock me if he decided to hang up his clipboard and whistle...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    That would be one heck of a scoop if true... That said, I cannot imagine Bennett is even remotely contemplating retirement. He's simply far too young and too competitive. Now if he's contemplating a different type of coaching challenge, that would make more sense... Leonard Hamilton, on the other hand, I can totally see retiring at any point in time. Granted, I think he found the fountain of youth somewhere down there in Florida and will be coaching ACC hoops forever... But it wouldn't totally shock me if he decided to hang up his clipboard and whistle...
    Coach Larranaga either.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Trilly wielding his Vague Stick as well as ever. Yeah, when you have a team of, what., 15 teams, pretty easy to say there will be turnover...
    And one of them is Kenny Payne at Louisville which is a forgone conclusion.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    And one of them is Kenny Payne at Louisville which is a forgone conclusion.
    I'd add Keats. The ACC could (and should) be pretty active this hiring cycle.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Matt Norlander of CBS Sports is reporting that Indiana will likely keep Mike Woodson as their head coach:

The one bit of news on Wednesday came as little surprise after the signals out of Bloomington, Indiana, in the past week. Hoosiers athletic director Scott Dolson decided to stick with Mike Woodson, meaning he'll return for Year 4. Woodson is 60-39 at IU and made the NCAAs in his first two seasons.
    This is significant, and not just for Indiana. Florida Atlantic coach Dusty May was a Hoosier undergrad and a student manager toward the end of Bob Knight's tenure, and has been an assistant for Mike Davis at other schools. If he's only looking to leave FAU for the Indiana job, he'll have to wait longer. His current job is still interesting; 5 of his top 8 players have at least one more year of eligibility, and could return, again, if they elect not to go pro or transfer out.

But if the band breaks up, expect a lot of national interest for both Coach May and his players.

detroit-mercy-parts-mike-davis-1-31-season

Detroit Mercy has mutually agreed to part ways with men's basketball coach Mike Davis after six seasons, the school announced Thursday.

The Titans went 1-31 this past season, finishing their campaign with a loss to Milwaukee on Tuesday in the Horizon League tournament.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-07-2024 at 06:21 PM. Reason: context

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Wow. What an amazing fall from Grace for Mike Davs.

The infamous 2002 Title Game run at IU, now 22 years later, 1-31 at Detroit Mercy.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow. What an amazing fall from Grace for Mike Davs.

The infamous 2002 Title Game run at IU, now 22 years later, 1-31 at Detroit Mercy.
    What a fall from grace for the U. of D., which long ago produced first round picks Terry Tyler and John Long, as well as Earl the Twirl, and of course was the launching pad for Dickie V . . .

WCU Losing Their Coach

Heard yesterday that WCU is now looking for a new coach. Justin Gray headed to Coastal Carolina. Bummer for the Cats

https://hoopdirt.com/report-coastal-...s-justin-gray/

Not sure what the Men's BBall web page looked like as of Saturday night's OT loss to Furman, but this morning it lists all coaches, their titles, email addresses and phone numbers..., but for Head Coach is just says Justin Gray, but nothing else; no email or phone #.

Column in the Indianapolis Star Tribune calls for Mike Woodson to resign as IU head coach: https://www.indystar.com/story/opini...g/72929876007/

The national media are piling on by mocking Woodson’s outdated style of play and his public comments. There are also rumors of player unhappiness, including some people close to the players who did not like Woodson calling certain players “awful.” There is a nonzero chance we will see a mass exodus and full rebuild.

The mismanagement of the program and lack of effort on the recruiting trail is understandable for someone with no college head coaching experience, but it's unacceptable for someone making more than $4 million a year, especially since Woodson has advantages no previous IU coach has had: most notably, the ability to recruit athletes who are openly receiving money via NIL funds.

Woodson should step down for the good of the program.
    Dusty May awaits a decision...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This isn't in the men's game, but it's a bizarre story. It was a couple years ago that a football coach got fired in his endzone while on his way to the locker room. This is another one of those classless acts by an AD.

In her post game presser, Utah State's Kayla Ard was asked about rebuilding the team for next season, to which she basically replied "Hell if I know, it won't be me doing it, I just got fired". That pretty much brought the questioning to a close.

Utah State women's basketball head coach Kayla Ard went through an awkward moment Sunday night, announcing her firing during a postgame news conference.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e/72930658007/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I wondered in the ACCT thread if Louisville would wait until the team got back to campus to pull the trigger. The answer is yes, but barely.

Louisville plans to fire men's basketball coach Kenny Payne on Wednesday, a source confirmed to CBS Sports. Barring any unforeseen delay, the process will be official after Payne and the team return to Louisville.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...rming-seasons/

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wondered in the ACCT thread if Louisville would wait until the team got back to campus to pull the trigger. The answer is yes, but barely.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...rming-seasons/
    Feel sorry for Nolan. I don’t think it was the Homecoming he was looking for. He would have been a great holdover on Scheyer’s staff.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Feel sorry for Nolan. I don’t think it was the Homecoming he was looking for. He would have been a great holdover on Scheyer’s staff.
    I do too. But ambitious people make choices, sometimes they take chances, looking for an opportunity to move up. Sometimes those choices just don't work out. He'll get another opportunity somewhere I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Column in the Indianapolis Star Tribune calls for Mike Woodson to resign as IU head coach: https://www.indystar.com/story/opini...g/72929876007/

Dusty May awaits a decision...
    Dusty already tops the list at Ohio State and Louisville. Woodson is no win situation at this point. IU giving him one more year without a contract extension pretty much guarantees failure. Not sure what his buyout is but seems like he’s staying for money and they’re keeping him for money. Louisville seems like the better of the 3 jobs to me.

One candidate named in an ESPN+ article about potential Louisville candidates is Chris Collins. That's not bad for a guy that just a few seasons ago was on the proverbial hot seat himself.
    The article says "Another coach mentioned by a source or two", which means that his name being floated is more than nothing.
    Another name mentioned but in a lesser way is Bobby Hurley, as a possibility for DePaul.
    Sorry, can't link the article, but it's easily findable on ESPN's MBB page.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One candidate named in an ESPN+ article about potential Louisville candidates is Chris Collins. That's not bad for a guy that just a few seasons ago was on the proverbial hot seat himself.
    The article says "Another coach mentioned by a source or two", which means that his name being floated is more than nothing.
    Another name mentioned but in a lesser way is Bobby Hurley, as a possibility for DePaul.
    Sorry, can't link the article, but it's easily findable on ESPN's MBB page.
    I don't think either guy would be interested in those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't think either guy would be interested in those jobs.
    Well according to the article "We listed Arizona State's Bobby Hurley, James Madison's Mark Byington and UAB's Andy Kennedy as potential candidates, and all three have been involved in the process."

To me, that spells interest from Hurley.