Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post

- The next four are huge: Wake, @ FSU, @ Miami, @ Wake. I'd be ecstatic if we could win 3 out of 4.
    Same. Though 1 out 4 wouldn’t be at all surprising given where the defense is right now. I’m not feeling great about Monday night at all.

Earl Grant’s postgame press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTs8163lCI

He is very complimentary of Duke’s game plan to put a “smaller, more mobile” guy on Post, and to front him. He actually called it an “awesome game plan” to negate Post. Interesting to hear him confirm what many here thought.

just wondering: is walking not called anymore? In both the pro and college game I'm seeing some four step layups...I probably missed the memo.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    just wondering: is walking not called anymore? In both the pro and college game I'm seeing some four step layups...I probably missed the memo.
    Caleb had a egregious one on a late breakaway vs ND.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I am happy with how the game went even with the uneven first half. Sean looks more and more comfortable out there. Jared didn't not shoot well but had a great game. Mark was sloppy with the ball in the first half, but very good in the second. I am still waiting for Duke's second complete game but they are trending in the right direction.

Small nit , the technical term is traveling

I've seen MANY uncalled travels in the ACC games I've watched. Most frequently when a player catches the ball.

“Eurostep” is another word for traveling. I guess the first quick step doesn’t count since it’s just to setup the next 2 or 3.

Metrics

A solid win in a game we were expected to win. I'll take it.

OFFENSE
    Possessions: 67.4 (a slowish pace)
    oRtg: 118.7 (118.0 adjusted; solid, would be #23 nationally)
    eFG%: 55.6% (strong)
    3pt%: 33.3% (mediocre to poor)
    2pt%: 60.6% (excellent)
    %threes: 47.6% (way too high, especially when our percentages were what they were)
    FT rate: 20.6% (awful, but not unexpected given the matchup)
    OR%: 26.5% (mediocre, but again not unexpected given the matchup)
    TO%: 10.4% (excellent, as usual)
    a/to: 2.71 (outstanding)
    %assisted: 63.3% (outstanding)
    fast break pts: 15 (quite good)

DEFENSE
    dRtg: 96.5 (93.1 adjusted; excellent, would be #7 nationally)
    eFG%: 44.9% (solid)
    3pt%: 19.2% (outstanding)
    2pt%: 57.6% (awful)
    %threes: 44.1% (quite high)
    FT rate: 27.1% (strong)
    DR%: 78.4% (excellent, though BC doesn't hit the offensive glass)
    TO%: 13.4% (poor, but BC is very good at avoiding turnovers)
    a/to: 1.67 (poor)
    stl%: 8.9% (mediocre)
    blk%: 15.2% (2pt shots) (solid)
    fast break pts: 9 (mediocre)

We won every phase of the game except for getting to the FT line. That is a recipe for a comfortable win, and we won comfortably. Hopefully we can carry over the defensive performance into tonight's game!

Listening to the DBR podcast recap game - in the postgame audio from Jon it sounds like he views Stewart and Mitchell as competing for the same playing time. He said that he wants to get Stewart on the floor more but that it's hard when Mitchell is also having a great game. So I wonder if having Mitchell defend the 5 is a way to get them both on the floor together, at the expense of Flip's minutes. Getting Flip some more rest is not a bad thing - he also misses so much time due to foul trouble so having alternate contingencies besides Ryan Young makes sense - and Mitchell and Stewart together make for a super versatile, switchable front court. Offensively it poses some issues, but I think Jon is really trying to get Stewart more minutes.

I'm not sure you'd prefer the alternative. Everything's a travel in the women's game. It's one of the reasons the turnover rate in the women's game is a lot higher. Trust me, it can be frustrating to watch a game in which every single travel is called strictly, and I really like the women's game in general.

I'm very pleased that Stewart has developed a little jump hook that he made twice vs. BC. I wish Flip would learn that shot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I'm very pleased that Stewart has developed a little jump hook that he made twice vs. BC. I wish Flip would learn that shot too.
    He needs to develop something else. His spin move can be effective, but he uses it so much that it's ineffective at times. He's not a great leaper, nor quite strong enough to just power through contact in the lane, so he ends up shooting his off-balance fade-away dying quail shot far too often. That jump hook would make a great substitution for the dying quail...

Nothing else to add about the game, other than to bring up the unending debate about Mitchell's jumper. He hit 2 of 2 from three vs BC, and after going 1 for his first 22 3pt attempts, over his last 8 games he's hit 5 of 9. That said, the form is still really off. During the game ESPN showed a close up slow mo of the three he hit with about a minute left, and Deb Antonelli was virtually speechless about his mechanics. Looking at that video, the source of the flat trajectory comes from how he jack-knifes his body at the apex of his jump, as if his upper body is disconnected from his lower body and none of the force from his push from the floor makes its way to the ball; as a result he has to create torque and almost throw the ball, rather than using the ground force to propel the ball and just release with is arms/hands. It just seems like his kinematic sequence is off, but not sure how to advise how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Nothing else to add about the game, other than to bring up the unending debate about Mitchell's jumper. He hit 2 of 2 from three vs BC, and after going 1 for his first 22 3pt attempts, over his last 8 games he's hit 5 of 9. That said, the form is still really off. During the game ESPN showed a close up slow mo of the three he hit with about a minute left, and Deb Antonelli was virtually speechless about his mechanics. Looking at that video, the source of the flat trajectory comes from how he jack-knifes his body at the apex of his jump, as if his upper body is disconnected from his lower body and none of the force from his push from the floor makes its way to the ball; as a result he has to create torque and almost throw the ball, rather than using the ground force to propel the ball and just release with is arms/hands. It just seems like his kinematic sequence is off, but not sure how to advise how to fix it.
    I consider this to be Exhibit A that MM did work on his 3pt shot in the offseason. Last year it was flat but repeatable, and he shot without hesitation. It looks like he tried to change his mechanics, which is always dangerous unless you get to point where the new shot is as natural as the old one was. He is still not there yet but is at least now not hesitating and overthinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Listening to the DBR podcast recap game - in the postgame audio from Jon it sounds like he views Stewart and Mitchell as competing for the same playing time. He said that he wants to get Stewart on the floor more but that it's hard when Mitchell is also having a great game. So I wonder if having Mitchell defend the 5 is a way to get them both on the floor together, at the expense of Flip's minutes.
    On Saturday it was pretty straightforward- Stewart backed up Mitchell, Young backed up Flip, and I don’t think* there was a time when Stewart and Young were on the floor together. I think a Stewart/ Mitchell front court would be a defensive problem. (It’s also problematic for spacing, but that’s true of Young/ Mitchell too.)

* I am old.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    On Saturday it was pretty straightforward- Stewart backed up Mitchell, Young backed up Flip, and I don’t think* there was a time when Stewart and Young were on the floor together. I think a Stewart/ Mitchell front court would be a defensive problem. (It’s also problematic for spacing, but that’s true of Young/ Mitchell too.)

* I am old.
    It seems to me the minutes are staggered such that we get (using very round numbers as a guideline) ~20 minutes of Flip + Mitchell, ~10 minutes of Young + Mitchell and ~10 minutes of Flip + Stewart

I finally got the opportunity to watch this game. There were some sparkling moments, but overall we’re gonna need to play more consistently better if we’re going to beat Wake tonight, and throughout the rest of the season if we want to go far in March

I know we played Mitchell and Stewart together against ND. I was really intrigued watching them on defense because they can both switch 1-5. But neither can shoot so offensively it's a disaster.

Sometimes seems like MM's best shot is a rebound/dunk. Jury still out on SS.