Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    You are definitely not the only one that caresÖ.but Duke is rarely hopeless in traditional non-revenue sports that it should compete if not excel in. The season feels like womenís hoops under McCallie
    Thatís a great analog. There is also a bit of the end of the Rennie reign in there (sans hardware of course)

Duke at #4 Syracuse and it's 5-0 Orange in the first few minutes of the first quarter. I cut it off. Hopeless. Calling Nina - please help.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I was in and out, but bailed for good at 13-4 Quite simply...non-competitive. Really hard to watch.

The start of this season has been terrible. Unfortunately, not a surprise for those that have been following the program of late. There were a lot of excuses being made for last year's disaster of a season. It's time to stop with the excuses.

15-8 final.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Huge win for Duke, 15-13 over previously unbeaten Harvard. Itís the Blue Devilsí first win over a ranked opponent since 2022. Combined with Saturdayís win over Pitt, Duke has a modest winning streak.

A 3-0 run in the last 6:33, with goals from DeSimone (her fourth of the game), Carner, and Shearer (a long-range bomb as the shot clock expired). Huge d-mid performance from McCorkle, with four CTs and three GBs. Duke with a 21-10 draw advantage, led by Neaseís 16 (!).

Next up: a winnable game at VaTech on Saturday.

Duke 9, VaTech 8. Everson stops a FP attempt with less than two minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke 9, VaTech 8. Everson stops a FP attempt with less than two minutes to go.
    As if it couldnít get worseÖif I could see it coming, why couldnít Nina?

Quote Originally Posted by Deke1990 View Post
    As if it couldn’t get worse…if I could see it coming, why couldn’t Nina?
    You wouldn’t like my answer to that question. But i will ask you to identify at least one gettable potential successor (I have one in mind).

You wouldnít like my answer to that question. But i will ask you to identify at least one gettable potential successor (I have one in mind).
    At this point, I wouldnít be picky but I think you could grab any good Ivy League coach and wave scholarships money in front of her face and get a bite. Like Stanford did.

You wouldnít like my answer to that question. But i will ask you to identify at least one gettable potential successor (I have one in mind).

I know you are against a coaching change, in part because you feel Duke could not attract a good candidate as a replacement. You have said as much here.

I think that is a really poor argument. If you have the resources that Duke has, you can get a quality coach, including in women's lacrosse.

But putting that aside, what would your solution be for resuscitating the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukegrid View Post

I know you are against a coaching change, in part because you feel Duke could not attract a good candidate as a replacement. You have said as much here.

I think that is a really poor argument. If you have the resources that Duke has, you can get a quality coach, including in women's lacrosse.

But putting that aside, what would your solution be for resuscitating the program?
    Yup crazy to think Duke could not be elite in Wlax given type of player and where she comes from.

Not wrestling or menís track type situation

Quote Originally Posted by Dukegrid View Post

Iím only against a coaching change if itís not an upgrade. I donít think Duke should have to settle.

I also think that a number of posters here havenít fully understood how the landscape of D1 womenís lacrosse has changed.

Iím only against a coaching change if itís not an upgrade. I donít think Duke should have to settle.

I also think that a number of posters here havenít fully understood how the landscape of D1 womenís lacrosse has changed.
    Well aware. But no excuse that we canít be competitive with Northwestern, BC, UNC etc. Many of the best players come from places like Darien, New Canaan, Baltimore private schools, Long Island. Seems like fertile areas for Duke to recruit.

Plus this has been an issue for many years. If you talk to people in girls hs lacrosse, our coach is not considered a good recruiter at all. And I mean at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deke1990 View Post
    Well aware. But no excuse that we canít be competitive with Northwestern, BC, UNC etc. Many of the best players come from places like Darien, New Canaan, Baltimore private schools, Long Island. Seems like fertile areas for Duke to recruit.

Plus this has been an issue for many years. If you talk to people in girls hs lacrosse, our coach is not considered a good recruiter at all. And I mean at all.
    I don't follow women's lax nearly as much as others here but have friends whose daughter is fairly talented middle school lax player in Darien. We saw our friends last summer and they were telling us that the starting goalie at Darien HS is going to Duke. Which led me to google the recruiting rankings. The Duke-bound goalie is ranked 39 and the 5th best goalie in the class. Interestingly, the 7th best goalie also goes to Darien, is going to Princeton and is named Elizabeth Gonnella - wonder if she is related to former Duke men's star Jim Gonnella (one of my favorite players to watch at Duke - our time at Duke largely overlapped).

Anyway, our overall recruiting for class of 24 looks kind of meh. A middie who is #27 (also from Darien), a middie at 37, the goalie at 39 and a D at 47.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recru...5?position=all

They only show the top 10 signed 2025 players and none are going to Duke. From what I understand, the lead time on lax recruiting is pretty long - players start having conversations and commit fairly early.

I have some preliminary thoughts on the state of the program but as noted above, I do not follow it that closely so do not feel qualified to opine. But I thought this data would be helpful.

Can you please elaborate? What has changed and why do you think that implies Duke is in a challenging position?

Your position doesn't make sense. It's like saying you're only against a strategy if it ends up not working.

While Nina would certainly have a list of targets, you aren't able to offer the job to anyone until you make the change. You can't know with certainty who you would be able to hire. Look, Walker isn't walking through that door, Hiller isn't walking through that door, but there is no reason to believe you couldn't get a quality hire. At this point, the bar for what constitutes an "upgrade" is low.

What you feel should be done at this point?

Dukeoff to a quick start against ECU, 4-0 after five minutes. Nease-o is five-for-five on draws.

Duke lrf 12-5 at half. It's now 13-11 w/ 8 to go. Painful to watch.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We squeak out a 14-12 win over a bad ECU team.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I donít often second-guess coaching decisions, but going to White at the draw late in Q2 when Nease was 16-for-16 backfired. The two goals right before halftime gave ECU momentum that carried over into a dominant third quarter.