Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Stays healthy. And can stay focused. And stay fit. And have a good coach. And solid offensive line. And a defense that can hold up their end of the bargain. And there's no divisional upstairs that come along.

There's SO many variables at play, which is part of what makes Tom's record so I believable.

I'm not saying that Mahomes can't do it. He's certainly got as good a shot as anyone does. But the fact is, the odds are against anyone doing it for a very long time.
    Fair points, all. I think the world of Tom Brady as a quarterback. I was once a QB myself, so I know a little bit about the position, though in saying this I fully understand that what I brought to the table as a QB was an absolute joke compared to the great Brady. Trust me, Iím not THAT delusional. Iím just saying I have sone measure of in-depth understanding of the position.

Anyway, in my not-so-humble opinion Tomís greatest strengths were: 1) his ability to dissect a defense quickly and find the best available target, 2) his accuracy on all throws, from short to intermediate to long, 3) his ability to consistently throw a very catchable ball under all weather conditions, 4) his tenacity and toughness, 5) his leadership ability, 6) his supreme confidence, 7) his work ethic and preparation, 8) his ability to avoid injury, 9) his clutch play under duress from the defense and under extreme mental pressure from game situation, 10) his fanatical adherence 365 days a year to an extremely healthy diet that allowed him to be at his physical and mental peak at all times, and 12) a burning 🔥 desire to WIN EVERY SINGLE GAME. And he has many other strengths as well, but I just listed the first ones that come readily to mind.

As far as Patrick Mahomes goes, I think he has all of these same abilities Tom has ó expect, perhaps, for the diet aspect. I donít have any knowledge of Mahomesí diet. And if he is dramatically deficient in that all-important area ó and most people are ó he likely will not surpass Tom as the greatest QB of all time.

However, Patrick has abilities at the quarterback position that Tom Brady can only dream of, principally his superior arm strength and his fantastic running ability. Based on this ó and all of the aforementionedó he has a higher ceiling than Tom. And thus far he has reached that ceiling. The key for him to becoming the greatest ever, though, will be MAINTAINING that ceiling. And that is something that can only be answered by time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Fair points, all. I think the world of Tom Brady as a quarterback. I was once a QB myself, so I know a little bit about the position, though in saying this I fully understand that what I brought to the table as a QB was an absolute joke compared to the great Brady. Trust me, Iím not THAT delusional. Iím just saying I have sone measure of in-depth understanding of the position.

Anyway, in my not-so-humble opinion Tomís greatest strengths were: 1) his ability to dissect a defense quickly and find the best available target, 2) his accuracy on all throws, from short to intermediate to long, 3) his ability to consistently throw a very catchable ball under all weather conditions, 4) his tenacity and toughness, 5) his leadership ability, 6) his supreme confidence, 7) his work ethic and preparation, 8) his ability to avoid injury, 9) his clutch play under duress from the defense and under extreme mental pressure from game situation, 10) his fanatical adherence 365 days a year to an extremely healthy diet that allowed him to be at his physical and mental peak at all times, and 12) a burning 🔥 desire to WIN EVERY SINGLE GAME. And he has many other strengths as well, but I just listed the first ones that come readily to mind.

As far as Patrick Mahomes goes, I think he has all of these same abilities Tom has ó expect, perhaps, for the diet aspect. I donít have any knowledge of Mahomesí diet. And if he is dramatically deficient in that all-important area ó and most people are ó he likely will not surpass Tom as the greatest QB of all time.

However, Patrick has abilities at the quarterback position that Tom Brady can only dream of, principally his superior arm strength and his fantastic running ability. Based on this ó and all of the aforementionedó he has a higher ceiling than Tom. And thus far he has reached that ceiling. The key for him to becoming the greatest ever, though, will be MAINTAINING that ceiling. And that is something that can only be answered by time.
    I agree that Mahomes has a better arm and more athletic ability. But, I also think that his propensity to run may make it much more difficult to have as long a career.

It just seems extremely premature to me to compare him to someone - anyone - whose longevity is such an extreme outlier.

Maybe Brady unlocked the key to playing into your mid-40s and we will see others follow his lead. But maybe not.

Mahomes is certainly not the greatest of all timeÖ..yet. But he is well on the way.

If he stays at least fairly healthy, itís just a matter of time.
    He's not the most accomplished of all time thanks to Tom's incredible skill and longevity.

That said, Mahomes has played the game at that position at a higher level than anyone in NFL history for his six seasons as a starter, and they were his FIRST six seasons as a starter. Mahomes is they only player in NFL history with two MVPs and three Super Bowls before the age of 30. Brady didn't win his first MVP until he was 30, in his 8th season in the league. Pat's 28. Brady played at an incredible level for an unthinkably long time, but Mahomes has played at a higher level as long as he's been a starter in the league.

The only question, I guess, is if 6 years at a higher level than Brady played, whether for his best 6 years, for the 15 years including and after he won an MVP or even all 22 years, including the early years of good Tom, bt not world destroyer Tom, outweighs the longevity. I think -- full disclosure, I am a life long Chiefs fan -- it's pretty darn close at this point.

One game for the fate of the world, you taking peak Tom or peak Pat? I'll take 15.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Counting playoff games, he is at 284 and Shula is at 347 - 63 wins. So I assume that means 5+ more years of doing really well - 4 years is possible but seems pretty ambitious. He turns 66 in March. It could get interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ll-ranked-wins
    The official records are only regular season, and Andy is 70 behind there. (If we counted playoff wins, Belichick would only be 14 behind Shula, instead of 26.) Reid/Mahomes have averaged 12.5 wins a season together, the last three with a 17th game. So that's 5-6 seasons if they keep the pace up. But it's already proving to be a slog. They only hit 11 this year. The AFC West certainly hasn't put up much of a fight in the last 6 years, so I'll assume they get better, which will push them.

I hear what people are saying about sticking through it if it's within range. The dude has no desire to do anything other than coach football, so it's certainly plausible. And while it makes me uncomfortable to speculate on someone's lifestyle from afar, he ain't exactly a picture of health.

But yea, if he looks up in 2027, hasn't hit 70 yet, has had no health scares, and is only ~35 wins short of Shula? Yea - I think he'd go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I don't know, but makes sense that they would switch ends of field - and start a new 15-minute clock.
    For the benefit of -- TA-DA -- the fans in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    The official records are only regular season, and Andy is 70 behind there. (If we counted playoff wins, Belichick would only be 14 behind Shula, instead of 26.) Reid/Mahomes have averaged 12.5 wins a season together, the last three with a 17th game. So that's 5-6 seasons if they keep the pace up. But it's already proving to be a slog. They only hit 11 this year. The AFC West certainly hasn't put up much of a fight in the last 6 years, so I'll assume they get better, which will push them.

I hear what people are saying about sticking through it if it's within range. The dude has no desire to do anything other than coach football, so it's certainly plausible. And while it makes me uncomfortable to speculate on someone's lifestyle from afar, he ain't exactly a picture of health.

But yea, if he looks up in 2027, hasn't hit 70 yet, has had no health scares, and is only ~35 wins short of Shula? Yea - I think he'd go for it.
    On the plus side for his health, though, he doesn't smoke or drink.

Chiefs team just took the stage. Noah Gray is on someone's shoulders and the team is chanting "NOAH GRAY NOAH GRAY". He gets off the shoulders and Mitch Holtus says "it's Noah Gray day".

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "Thanks for helping us get to the pinnacle of greatness! But yer fired."

After just one season as the San Francisco 49ers' defensive coordinator, Steve Wilks is out.

"This morning I relieved Steve Wilks of his duties," Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said in an impromptu conference call Wednesday that was scheduled just 10 minutes before it happened. "(We're) going to end up making a change here at defensive coordinator. A really tough decision, because [it] really says nothing about Steve as a man or as a football coach. I mean he's exactly what we wanted as a man. He is a great football coach."
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lks-one-season
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I mean, the Niners defense played a really good game.

Tough call to axe him.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Is this Shanahan trying to deflect the blame ó which from what Iíve heard and read is mostly falling on his shoulders ó for yet another Super Bowl loss?

A shooting at the SB parade. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    A shooting at the SB parade. Ugh.
    Unfortunately, this is true. First reports I heard were in a text from my nephew. He and his wife were about 150 feet from the initial shooting. They are fine. He said it appeared to be an argument and not a planned mass shooting.

1 dead, 10 injured. Some injuries are the result of fleeing the scene and not from gunshots. It is unclear if those injuries are included in the 10 or in addition to them.
    Last edited by DukieInKansas; 02-14-2024 at 07:19 PM.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Unfortunately, this is true. First reports I heard were in a text from my nephew. He and his wife were about 150 feet from the initial shooting. They are fine. He said it appeared to be an argument and not a planned mass shooting.

1 dead, 10 injured. Some injuries are the result of fleeing the scene and not from gunshots. It is unclear if those injuries are included in the 10 or in addition to them.
    Glad to see you posting - I was hoping you weren't there/were OK.

Despicable

One person is dead, and 21 others were wounded by gunfire at the end of the Chiefs' Super Bowl parade Wednesday, according to authorities.

Three people have been detained and are under investigation, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said during a news conference Wednesday evening.

Of the people wounded by gunfire, eight were in immediately life-threatening condition and seven were in life-threatening condition, Kansas City Fire Chief Ross Grundyson said at the news conference.

Is this Shanahan trying to deflect the blame ó which from what Iíve heard and read is mostly falling on his shoulders ó for yet another Super Bowl loss?
    No, he fired a DC who wasn't as good as the previous two and who Shanahan had to in-game micromanage more than his previous DCs.

There was an obvious disconnect that wasn't there previously between KS and the DC, which showed when KS had to make Wilks move from the booth to the sideline midseason.

It just wasn't the right fit. They asked Wilks to come in on his own and run a style of defense that wasn't his forte. So the Niners need to fix that rather than continue trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Shanahan hasn't aged like a president because he shirks responsibility. He's the HC and knows every loss is ultimately on him.

All good here too. My brother is close friends with the family of a member of the Chiefs (who you would definitely recognize), so he and my nephew got some prime access yesterday. They just saw a bunch of people running. Far away from the players and team, though some stayed in Union Station to help comfort kids who got separated from their families.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    All good here too. My brother is close friends with the family of a member of the Chiefs (who you would definitely recognize), so he and my nephew got some prime access yesterday. They just saw a bunch of people running. Far away from the players and team, though some stayed in Union Station to help comfort kids who got separated from their families.
    Was just wondering if you were there and if you and yours were ok. Our pastor remembers walking past the woman who died. A very scary day for so many. I hope they determine what exactly happened. I would hate to see this pit an end to celebratory parades.

Glad to hear that you are OK. I now work for a large accounting firm that is based in KC. I reached out to colleagues last night and was thrilled to hear that they all were also OK.