Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 278
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah, but -- yeah, but -- the trailing team gets to use all four downs -- and KC needed 4th down twice.

    Also, when SF kicked the field goal, was it on the 4-yd line? I thought they might have tried for the TD, leaving KC on their own goal line if they failed.
    I think KC had only one fourth down on the ot drive and it was 4th and half a yard in 49ers territory which I'd imagine they'd have gone for regardless. But yeah, knowing if you need to go for it on 4th certainly can help.

    I think if it was 4th and 2 or so, SF would have gone for it, but it was more like 4 or 5, after running a play that went nowhere.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    You have to know that if you settle for 3 on that first possession of OT, the chances are astronomical that the Chiefs will go down and actually put up the winning touchdown.
    Astronomical? Shanahan's defense had stopped Mahomes from scoring TDs 11/12 times he touched the ball by that point. The one time he did score one, he only had to go 15 yards. They held him to 3 points four times! And made him punt five!

    The "humming" Chiefs offense had gone TD (15 yards), FG, FG the last 3 times they had the ball. A TD is far far from a certainty given how both teams had played.

    Yes - SF was probably tired. Yes - I understand the logic that knowing what they needed, that gave KC an extra down to work with, but calling that KC offense "inevitable" just doesn't map to reality.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Also, when SF kicked the field goal, was it on the 4-yd line? I thought they might have tried for the TD, leaving KC on their own goal line if they failed.
    It was 4th-and-4 from the 9. Doesn't change your point though.

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Astronomical? Shanahan's defense had stopped Mahomes from scoring TDs 11/12 times he touched the ball by that point. The one time he did score one, he only had to go 15 yards. They held him to 3 points four times! And made him punt five!

    The "humming" Chiefs offense had gone TD (15 yards), FG, FG the last 3 times they had the ball. A TD is far far from a certainty given how both teams had played.

    Yes - SF was probably tired. Yes - I understand the logic that knowing what they needed, that gave KC an extra down to work with, but calling that KC offense "inevitable" just doesn't map to reality.
    And yet thatís exactly what happened. Funny how it works that way. 🙄

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Bill Barnwell of ESPN, who is a lot smarter than the rest of us, thinks it was probably the right call when you factor in everything that was in play at the moment (scroll down), but there is no clear right answer. I know this might be satisfactory for those who see the world only in black and white (which seems to be a growing portion of the population), but I think "not sure" is the right answer.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rises-shanahan

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And yet thatís exactly what happened. Funny how it works that way. 🙄
    Itís trivially easy to Monday morning quarterback after you know the outcome of a decision. But itís not a valid way to evaluate the wisdom of the decision when it was made. Great decisions can result in bad outcomes. And vice-versa.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And yet thatís exactly what happened. Funny how it works that way. 🙄
    Just because it happened doesn't mean it was likely to happen.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I had just one more question abiut the overtime. Why did they have a game clock running? It has no meaning, right? In other words, if the clock had run to zero before the KC touchdown, they would just have started another 15-minute clock, right?

    If so, my conclusion is that there was absolutely no need to have a game clock. They could continue the play clock without the game clock, and then must play until the game was decided.

    Am I missing something?

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Itís trivially easy to Monday morning quarterback after you know the outcome of a decision. But itís not a valid way to evaluate the wisdom of the decision when it was made. Great decisions can result in bad outcomes. And vice-versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just because it happened doesn't mean it was likely to happen.
    I can only say that in a large room full of people I stated, before SF even started their OT drive, that they could not settle for a FG because if they did the Chiefs would surely go down and end the game with a TD. And that's exactly how it played out. Not because I'm Nostradamus, but because Mahomes was in a groove throughout the 4th quarter and the Niners defense was gassed. And one other note, it's not a perfect point to bring up TD, FG, FG for the Chiefs before OT. Why? Because the only reason they kicked that last FG is because time was running out, not because the Niners D held them. So the fact is KC was on a roll and it was clear - at least to me - that they weren't going to be stopped.

    To summarize: Shanahan made the right call to receive first in OT for all the reasons we've discussed. But I still maintain it was the wrong call to take the FG.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    More discussion on the overtime than the Duke win over Wake in the EK board.

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    More discussion on the overtime than the Duke win over Wake in the EK board.
    Because this game had Taylor Swift in attendance. Yay. [insert sarcasm emoji here]

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I had just one more question abiut the overtime. Why did they have a game clock running? It has no meaning, right? In other words, if the clock had run to zero before the KC touchdown, they would just have started another 15-minute clock, right?

    If so, my conclusion is that there was absolutely no need to have a game clock. They could continue the play clock without the game clock, and then must play until the game was decided.

    Am I missing something?
    I think you are correct. They might have switched directions which is pretty meaningless in an indoor stadium. And it determined when the end of the quarter would have been, which would have provided a built in break for the players/coaches/commercials. And people are used to seeing it. But on the whole, it didn't accomplish a lot.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Country, New York State
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I had just one more question abiut the overtime. Why did they have a game clock running? It has no meaning, right? In other words, if the clock had run to zero before the KC touchdown, they would just have started another 15-minute clock, right?

    If so, my conclusion is that there was absolutely no need to have a game clock. They could continue the play clock without the game clock, and then must play until the game was decided.

    Am I missing something?
    I don't know, but makes sense that they would switch ends of field - and start a new 15-minute clock.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think you are correct. They might have switched directions which is pretty meaningless in an indoor stadium. And it determined when the end of the quarter would have been, which would have provided a built in break for the players/coaches/commercials. And people are used to seeing it. But on the whole, it didn't accomplish a lot.
    Huh. It sure "felt" like the clock was as important as the down marker as they matched down the field. Might just be muscle memory.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I don't know, but makes sense that they would switch ends of field - and start a new 15-minute clock.
    They could switch without a clock.

    For example, let's say team X gets the ball first and scores a field goal. Team Y than gets their possession, and also gets a field goal. At that point, they could switch directions and allow team X to have its second possession.

    Problem solved, and no game clock required.


    Running the game clock gave a false sense of urgency, based on precedent, that is not required by the new rules.

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I can only say that in a large room full of people I stated, before SF even started their OT drive, that they could not settle for a FG because if they did the Chiefs would surely go down and end the game with a TD. And that's exactly how it played out. Not because I'm NostradamusÖÖ..
    I beg to differ, sir. You clearly have a psychic connection with the football team from Kansas City, and maybe with Patrick Mahomes himself.

    I strongly urge you should to consider changing your DBR moniker to ďNostradamusChiefĒ or something like that. Yes?

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    More discussion on the overtime than the Duke win over Wake in the EK board.
    Well, sure, and the reasons are many:
    1. Wake v Duke didnít go down to the wire and was just another regular season ACC game
    2. San Francisco v Kansas City was the freaking Super Bowl, and it was an intense and close game
    3. A furious Travis Kelce almost knocked his 68-year-old head coach to the ground
    4. Taylor Swift

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, sure, and the reasons are many:
    1. Wake v Duke didnít go down to the wire and was just another regular season ACC game
    2. San Francisco v Kansas City was the freaking Super Bowl, and it was an intense and close game
    3. A furious Travis Kelce almost knocked his 68-year-old head coach to the ground
    4. Taylor Swift
    Good points, but it is a Duke site and not a Taylor Swift site.

  19. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Good points, but it is a Duke site and not a Taylor Swift site.
    Right! And if we are going to bring up female celebs, let's stick with tried and true ones like Phoebe Cates.

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Right! And if we are going to bring up female celebs, let's stick with tried and true ones like Phoebe Cates.
    Gremlins was some serious art! That was the first movie I saw in a movie theater without the parents. I remember freaking out when the film burnt out wondering what to do. It was EPIC!

Similar Threads

  1. Super Bowl LV Ads
    By devildeac in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 02-09-2021, 05:02 PM
  2. Super Bowl LIV
    By Acymetric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-03-2020, 04:27 PM
  3. Super Bowl ads
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM
  4. Harbaugh Bowl II (aka Super Bowl XLVII)
    By brevity in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 01:05 AM
  5. Super Bowl Predictions
    By Chris Randolph in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •