New Durham-based Charity

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading posts on the forum for a long time, but I haven’t posted until now. I wanted to share the story of a Durham family, who is hoping to turn some adverse circumstances into a non-profit to benefit families with similar challenges.

In 2021, Harper, at 8 year’s old, was diagnosed with pre-B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. During her treatment, both Harper and her mom were grateful for the support from the Duke community and realized how fortunate they were to live just under 2 miles from Duke Children’s hospital. After long hospital stays for treatment, they were able to return to the comforts of home.

Harper, now 10, has done an incredible job of turning these life altering circumstances into something positive - at one point raising over $27,000 for cancer research through t-shirt sales. She and her mom (Heather) have turned their focus to providing housing for families with children in treatment at Duke Children’s Hospital through Harper’s Home - www.harpershomenc.org - which will support the construction of 8 short-term housing units in their backyard.

In launching in this project, Harper and Heather have received so much support and guidance from the Duke community, the Scheyer’s have been so gracious with their help, and I wanted to post here to continue to raise awareness for this cause. Harper is even going to be Scheyer’s Kid Captain at the Notre Dame on February 8 to coincide with her last dose of treatment.

If anyone has any thoughts, questions, or can help in anyway, please send me a direct message and I’d be happy to talk to you further!

Thank you all,

BD'09

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil2009 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading posts on the forum for a long time, but I haven’t posted until now. I wanted to share the story of a Durham family, who is hoping to turn some adverse circumstances into a non-profit to benefit families with similar challenges.

In 2021, Harper, at 8 year’s old, was diagnosed with pre-B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. During her treatment, both Harper and her mom were grateful for the support from the Duke community and realized how fortunate they were to live just under 2 miles from Duke Children’s hospital. After long hospital stays for treatment, they were able to return to the comforts of home.

Harper, now 10, has done an incredible job of turning these life altering circumstances into something positive - at one point raising over $27,000 for cancer research through t-shirt sales. She and her mom (Heather) have turned their focus to providing housing for families with children in treatment at Duke Children’s Hospital through Harper’s Home - www.harpershomenc.org - which will support the construction of 8 short-term housing units in their backyard.

In launching in this project, Harper and Heather have received so much support and guidance from the Duke community, the Scheyer’s have been so gracious with their help, and I wanted to post here to continue to raise awareness for this cause. Harper is even going to be Scheyer’s Kid Captain at the Notre Dame on February 8 to coincide with her last dose of treatment.

If anyone has any thoughts, questions, or can help in anyway, please send me a direct message and I’d be happy to talk to you further!

Thank you all,

BD'09
    A very inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.