Jon Stewart to Return to the Daily Show

Jon Stewart is coming back to the Daily Show to host on Mondays and be an executive producer. Should be fun in an election year.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/enter...how/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Jon Stewart is coming back to the Daily Show to host on Mondays and be an executive producer. Should be fun in an election year.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/enter...how/index.html
    Oh, goodie!

Love it!! 🎉

I've always wondered if the results of the 2016 election would have been different had Stewart not left the Daily Show in early 2015. Would he have brought a different perspective to covering Trump? Or HRC's emails/Comey? Would he have increased election engagement and voting with a younger demographic? Or would nothing have been different?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I've always wondered if the results of the 2016 election would have been different had Stewart not left the Daily Show in early 2015. Would he have brought a different perspective to covering Trump? Or HRC's emails/Comey? Would he have increased election engagement and voting with a younger demographic? Or would nothing have been different?
    I love Jon Stewart. He mostly "preaches to the choir", though. I go over to watch Fox News every once in a while. I admit that I watch just to confirm my bias, and satisfaction is guaranteed. I think it's the Ted Baxter effect that finally sends me away.

At least I try. I suspect that most conservatives will dismiss Jon as a left-wing kook, and won't bother to tune in. And, to your point, I think it would have been that way in 2016. I hope I'm wrong.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I love Jon Stewart. He mostly "preaches to the choir", though. I go over to watch Fox News every once in a while. I admit that I watch just to confirm my bias, and satisfaction is guaranteed. I think it's the Ted Baxter effect that finally sends me away.

At least I try. I suspect that most conservatives will dismiss Jon as a left-wing kook, and won't bother to tune in. And, to your point, I think it would have been that way in 2016. I hope I'm wrong.
    I like Jon Stewart much more than Trevor Noah. However, I'll choose John Oliver over Stewart, unless Stewart has changed his methodology.

Stewart did a great job of taking the Craig Kilbourne model of "play it for jokes" and adding a level of gravitas to the format.

John Oliver made it an HBO show my adding MUCH more research, fewer laughs, and a fair amount of editorialism too.

Makes for a much more compelling show.

Both are definitely lefties, but both aren't afraid to expose hypocrisy on either side of the aisle.

His return is worth a watch. Glad to see his voice again.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    His return is worth a watch. Glad to see his voice again.
    So lip-reading is among your many talents? ( sorry, couldn't resist)

Agree. However, I can't believe his 1st guest (and he's only doing this once a week, so there won't be many) is a Brit who works for a British newspaper. I'm an Anglophile, but I don't need any of them, who elected Boris and Liz (among others), telling me who is capable of running our country.
    Past is gone, thou canst not that recall; Future is not, may not be at all;
    Present is, [so] improve the flying hour; Present only is within thy power. - Friar Park Clock Tower [author unknown]

just in the nick of time...

welcome back...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    So lip-reading is among your many talents? ( sorry, couldn't resist)

Agree. However, I can't believe his 1st guest (and he's only doing this once a week, so there won't be many) is a Brit who works for a British newspaper. I'm an Anglophile, but I don't need any of them, who elected Boris and Liz (among others), telling me who is capable of running our country.
    Not even intrepid BBC reporter Jonathan Pie?
    “You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know.” — GD

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not even intrepid BBC reporter Jonathan Pie?
    He would be a good guest for Stewart.

I had forgotten how Jon is definitely a lefty, but absolutely skewers both sides without apology.