Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Amazing comeback by the Octopus, and it's always nice to see Zverev lose, especially like that.
    I didnít know Medvedev had a nickname; thatís a funny one. 😂

Looking forward to watching some selective games from the match later today. Iím not a fan of either Zverev or Medvedev, but someone had to win.

While I expect the Russian to somewhat be cannon fodder for the Italian in the final, Medvedev does have the edge in experience, including being a 3-time Australian Open finalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I didnít know Medvedev had a nickname; thatís a funny one. 😂

Looking forward to watching some selective games from the match later today. Iím not a fan of either Zverev or Medvedev, but someone had to win.

While I expect the Russian to somewhat be cannon fodder for the Italian in the final, Medvedev does have the edge in experience, including being a 3-time Australian Open finalist.
    Medvedev leads Sinner 6-3 but Sinner has won the last 3, including two finals. Those 3 matches featured two 3-setters (all non-majors are 3 sets max) and the one 2-setter was tiebreak/tiebreak.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Medvedev leads Sinner 6-3 but Sinner has won the last 3, including two finals. Those 3 matches featured two 3-setters (all non-majors are 3 sets max) and the one 2-setter was tiebreak/tiebreak.
    Alcaraz showed everyone perhaps the best weapon against Medvedev last season - heavy deployment of good drop shots to pull him forward instead of letting him run around 15 feet behind the baseline all day - and Sinner's become pretty deft with the dropper, which is probably a part of his recent dominance over Medvedev.

I think the freshness and form will seriously favor Jannik this weekend. Medvedev's been running a lot this tournament while Sinner's dropped just one set. When Daniil's serve is on he's very tough to break, so that could be a factor. But Sinner's serve was on fire last night, too (Djokovic played as poorly as I've ever seen him play, but nonetheless never getting a single break point over four sets is pretty eye opening), so on balance I think he has to be the heavy favorite.

@Steven43, I think Rublev is the one who dubbed him the octopus. It's incredibly apt - he's all limbs out there.

I'll probably be rooting for Sinner in the finals just because I'm happy he took out Djokovich
    Can someone help Medvedev make it to a proper barber or salon? Guy makes millions and can't afford a decent haircut (quality not quantity)?

Well, Sabalenka wins her second grand slam. The score wasnít particularly close, but Zheng had her chances. I like her game more than that of Sabalenka; she has more variety and nuance. Sabalenka is full power, full throttle on literally every point. But it certainly worked for her today.

I think Zheng has a bright future. And in comparison to the big muscular players like Sabalenka, Zheng is much more graceful and light on her feet. Plus, she doesnít do that obscenely loud grunting that Sabs was doing today (and every day).

Is anyone else bothered by players that do exaggerated, unnecessary screaming every time they hit the ball or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, Sabalenka wins her second grand slam. The score wasnít particularly close, but Zheng had her chances. I like her game more than that of Sabalenka; she has more variety and nuance. Sabalenka is full power, full throttle on literally every point. But it certainly worked for her today.

I think Zheng has a bright future. And in comparison to the big muscular players like Sabalenka, Zheng is much more graceful and light on her feet. Plus, she doesnít do that obscenely loud grunting that Sabs was doing today (and every day).

Is anyone else bothered by players that do exaggerated, unnecessary screaming every time they hit the ball or is it just me?
    I think most are used to it on the women's circuit. Started with Monica Seles it seems, but Serena , Venus, Sharapova et al also did it consistently.

On the men's side, Sinner came back from two sets down to down Medvedev to take the championship. Great first Grand Slam for him and at a very young age (22). I'm sure Italy is proud. Has a bright future obviously. The top match of the US Open when Alcaraz won was against Sinner IMHO. That match was a clash of titans on that night and was absurd to witness what they were doing on the court. I didn't stay up to watch this one though given the time of it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think most are used to it on the women's circuit. Started with Monica Seles it seems, but Serena , Venus, Sharapova et al also did it consistently.
    Grunting started before Seles, but she doubled up, grunting TWICE on almost every shot, a rising voice as she wound up, and a falling voice as she actually hit the ball. That, in particular, drove me crazy. Grunting was something explicitly taught in the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, which is where many of the top players (including Seles) trained back as far as the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Grunting started before Seles, but she doubled up, grunting TWICE on almost every shot, a rising voice as she wound up, and a falling voice as she actually hit the ball. That, in particular, drove me crazy. Grunting was something explicitly taught in the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, which is where many of the top players (including Seles) trained back as far as the '80s.
    Sure, for many years now there have been male and female players loudly emoting on nearly every shot. But that doesnít make it any less annoying for the fans. It clearly takes away from the viewing experience.

The Serena Williams v Victoria Azarenka match in the semis at the 2020 U.S. Open may have been the all-time scream fest. It was basically unwatchable. I decided to torture myself a bit and rewatch a portion of it this morning to see if my memory was correct. It was really strange, because Serena started out in the first couple of games hardly making a peep ó in marked contrast to Azarenka, who was screaming with every shot right from the start. But then, as the match progressed, Serena began grunting louder and louder to where it became almost comical to hear the two of them going back-and-forth.

It was especially painful because I had just purchased a Sonos set of speakers for the tv in my theater room, including a center-channel speaker, rear speakers, and a powerful subwoofer. Watching the match with those speakers was surrealÖ.. and painful.

Go to like the 12-14 minute mark. Thatís when they were especially seeming to try and outdo each other vocally. Watch if you dare, and make sure the volume is high!

https://youtu.be/hW5wByHb_GU?si=LyHQxTIvSwcgNpTE
    Last edited by Steven43; 01-28-2024 at 05:23 PM.

Was it to taught to disquise the hit so the opponent couldn't hear the sound of ball on racquet? Or was there another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Was it to taught to disquise the hit so the opponent couldn't hear the sound of ball on racquet? Or was there another reason?
    The belief was that it helped release tension so that you would stay loose and power all the way through your shot. Bollettieri was so successful that the technique became standard.

The belief was that it helped release tension so that you would stay loose and power all the way through your shot. Bollettieri was so successful that the technique became standard.
    The technique works better if you teach it to someone with gobs of talent.

I can grunt all I want and the ball still heads straight for the net.

If you enjoy tennis, make sure you take 5 minutes to watch this from ATP Media:

The Tour: A Reality Show | The BIGGEST Secret In Tennis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0DgmkI2FiE

Soooo many jokes crammed in there if you know what to look for!

(Apologies for not commenting on this thread during the AO itself, but as I've mentioned previously, I'm always watching the next day(s) on DVR so I can never view this until after the tournament is over in order to avoid spoilers)
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Apologies for not commenting on this thread during the AO itself, but as I've mentioned previously, I'm always watching the next day(s) on DVR so I can never view this until after the tournament is over in order to avoid spoilers.
    Were you sad when you found out, after the fact, that Djokovic had lost?

If so, that would be in marked contrast to the joyous celebration we had at my house! 🎉