Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    Interesting that other than Northwestern maybe, the cheats are our first challenge. Hopefully we can work out the kinks by then and not show too many wrinkles in the first few games so we can surprise Mack in that game.
    At his age, a well-timed sneeze could surprise Mack Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    be still my heart...one Saturday of embarrassing camera shots averted...
    Two Saturdays. No home game Thanksgiving weekend. How did we manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I have a wedding in New England October 5, with follow on time the next week with my mother in law.

I’m missing an away game and a bye weekend. The scheduling gods are making sure I look like a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Schedules are out

https://theacc.com/news/2024/1/24/ac...-schedule.aspx

Duke:

Aug. 30 Elon (Fri.)
    Sept. 7 at Northwestern
    Sept. 14 UConn
    Sept. 21 at Middle Tennessee
    Sept. 28 North Carolina *
    Oct. 5 at Georgia Tech *
    Oct. 12 OPEN
    Oct. 18 Florida State * (Fri.)
    Oct. 26 SMU *
    Nov. 2 at Miami *
    Nov. 9 at NC State *
    Nov. 16 OPEN
    Nov. 23 Virginia Tech *
    Nov. 30 at Wake Forest *
    Would it be crazy to think about a trip to Miami in early November? It’s close to my birthday, so maybe I could swing it as a birthday hall pass, but considering that my typical hall pass is a round of golf and drinks/food at the 19th hole with the guys . . . .

Speculating on January 25, 2024: I have us at 7-5 with a shot at 8-4.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I have a wedding in New England October 5, with follow on time the next week with my mother in law.

I’m missing an away game and a bye weekend. The scheduling gods are making sure I look like a good guy.
    depending upon where the wedding is, you might have some great foliage on October 5 (Northern New England).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    depending upon where the wedding is, you might have some great foliage on October 5 (Northern New England).
    We’ll be in Southern Maine so we do anticipate seeing some “color.”

Truth be told, Mr Tough Guy here and bride would still attend this wedding, even if the cheats were paying visit that weekend. One must pay proper respect to a great nephew who’s also a Duke fan per my influence

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Speculating on January 25, 2024: I have us at 7-5 with a shot at 8-4.
    Difficult to gauge what this team will look like on either side of the ball with a brand new coaching staff, but I do like the schedule and tend to agree that there are a number of winnable games (and really only a couple that might be considered long odds).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    What a joke. It's actually probably good for Duke, but the Cheaters are likely to roll in to Durham with at least a three game winning streak. They start on the road at Minnesota, so that's not a guaranteed win, but their next three are as follows.

Saturday, Sept. 7 vs. Charlotte

Saturday, Sept. 14 vs. NC Central

Saturday, Sept. 21 vs. James Madison

Yes, JMU showed promise last year, but that success cost them their coach. Charlotte sucks, and NCCU is a guaranteed blowout.

Like I said, this could be good for us, with their previous three weeks all being played against far lesser competition.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What a joke. It's actually probably good for Duke, but the Cheaters are likely to roll in to Durham with at least a three game winning streak. They start on the road at Minnesota, so that's not a guaranteed win, but their next three are as follows.

Saturday, Sept. 7 vs. Charlotte

Saturday, Sept. 14 vs. NC Central

Saturday, Sept. 21 vs. James Madison

Yes, JMU showed promise last year, but that success cost them their coach. Charlotte sucks, and NCCU is a guaranteed blowout.

Like I said, this could be good for us, with their previous three weeks all being played against far lesser competition.
    I mean, we could enter 4-0 as well, so...

What do you know that we don't??

HELL-I would sign up for anything 6-6 or better right now.

I am an eternal opt... hell, even I could not finish writing that sentence.

Dark Blue colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Maybe because of the combination of Labor Day and Thanksgiving creating an extra week to the season. I think 2025 will also have this, but then 2026 goes back to the more normal scheme. Every team has two open dates, except GT and FSU, who have 3 since they start a week early.

SMU is still looking for their 12th game. Hawaii might be the most likely partner as they only have 11 games scheduled right now.
    FAU and NMSU also need a 12th game, but they are probably looking for an FCS opponent.

What do you know that we don't??

HELL-I would sign up for anything 6-6 or better right now.
    I’d put the over/under for a winning season at 4.

As in, we need to find 4 more above-average starters and probably a couple more rotation guys. I like our returners a lot but there a lot of uncertainties when we’re trying to beat teams with top 25 talent.

I’d guess that’s most likely from the portal, though I’d be open to current player development or even finding the stray incoming freshman—though that seems less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Maybe because of the combination of Labor Day and Thanksgiving creating an extra week to the season. I think 2025 will also have this, but then 2026 goes back to the more normal scheme. Every team has two open dates, except GT and FSU, who have 3 since they start a week early.
    The ACC requires teams to have a game over Thanksgiving. The only teams that worked this year were SMU, @Wake, and @Miami thanks to ACC-SEC rivalries. Next year it's Wake, @Cal, and @Syracuse. TV probably doesn't want any of those games.

I'm going with 3-9 (0-8) right now and hoping for better, but I'm not making football plans in December or January. UConn is probably going to be a September noon game. Go hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

As in, we need to find 4 more above-average starters and probably a couple more rotation guys. I like our returners a lot but there a lot of uncertainties when we’re trying to beat teams with top 25 talent.

I’d guess that’s most likely from the portal, though I’d be open to current player development or even finding the stray incoming freshman—though that seems less likely.
    I’m usually pessimistic or a realist depending on other’s perspective. But I think over/under closer to 5.5 as I think we win either 3 or 4 OOC. Two ACC wins seems about right.

Wow, tough crowd. I think we return a lot of good football players and with David Feeley I expect linemen who are returning to be bigger and stronger. It's early still but I think Coach Diaz will bring in some more players to fill the gaps.

I expect 7-5 and could easily see 8-4. I don't see a lot of unbeatable teams on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Looking at our schedule, the biggest talent gap we face is FSU, Miami, and UNC. That's 3 games. The other 9 should present similar talent levels (and in some we will have a talent edge on paper).

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I'm going with 3-9 (0-8) right now and hoping for better, but I'm not making football plans in December or January. UConn is probably going to be a September noon game. Go hurricane.
    Ouch! Diaz is known as a defensive mastermind, so I'd wager our defense continues to be solid. Add to that the fact that we have an incoming, legit top-flight QB recruit (Maalik Murphy) who left Texas because he realized with Quinn Ewers returning and Arch Manning arriving, he'd be better off going elsewhere if he wants to play... Again, looking at the schedule I believe it's far more likely we end with a winning record than 3-9. But that's why they play the games, I guess...

I'd go with my annual cautious skepticism, but at this point we really don't know who we'll have on the team. More portalizing guys to be assessed and who knows how the numerous redshirt frosh are doing? We'll know more after Spring practice.

There are so many unknowns at this point. We don't know if the team will respond immediately to Diaz like they did with Elko.

The good news is that the schedule is more manageable. We replace ND, Clemson, Louisville, Pitt, and UVA with Miami, VT, GT, SMU, and MTSU. I'd be shocked if we beat FSU, but I could be talked into every other game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The ACC requires teams to have a game over Thanksgiving. The only teams that worked this year were SMU, @Wake, and @Miami thanks to ACC-SEC rivalries. Next year it's Wake, @Cal, and @Syracuse. TV probably doesn't want any of those games.

Somebody on the SMU boards thinks SMU and Cal will end every season playing each other under the current scheduling plan; I personally have no idea if that's true. If it is, the odds of a home game that dead post-Thanksgiving weekend go up from 33% to 50% in 2025...