Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    My biggest excitement is the chance to see Duke play at State for the first time in forever.
    I think they played at state during the 2020 season but I can't remember. The last one I remember 100% for sure is when Rad Thad outdueled Russell Wilson for a 28-14 win in 2009.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My biggest excitement is the chance to see Duke play at State for the first time in forever.
    Good point. The last time we played there, we won. I remember proudly wearing a Duke Football shirt the next day here in New Bern and at the store was greeted by a woman wearing a similar shirt and a huge smile. It was one of the early signs that Cutcliffe was changing the scene around the program.

Edit...this is the one I'm referencing. So fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I think they played at state during the 2020 season but I can't remember. The last one I remember 100% for sure is when Rad Thad outdueled Russell Wilson for a 28-14 win in 2009.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    No fans were allowed for that game. This is the first time since that 2009 game that fans can attend. And that 2009 game was actually 48-29. It was probably the best QB performance I've ever seen from a Duke QB. Thad went 40-50 for 459 yards and 5 TDs with no picks, this with zero help from the running game.

i was last there when Thad had his career day and we kicked their butts.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Exciting to be reading about Duke football in early January. Hopefully the excitement around the program is contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Seat Geek is a better size at 28k and would be a lot cheaper to rent, but is also hard to get to and has fewer amenities (though the concessions at Soldier Field are generally terrible). Either of these would be pretty easy trips for Duke fans staying in downtown Chicago though.
    FWIW Seat Geek is very close to Midway, which is a much easier airport to navigate than O'Hare. And yes, it is served by the CTA's Orange Line which connects to Downtown.

ACC Dates will be announced on 1/31 at 9 PM on the network.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    One of my favorite Duke games ever...
    And my favorite Duke quarterback ever. Thad had a fast-load cannon, and he really needed one. Good thing he was a sturdy lad.

No fans were allowed for that game. This is the first time since that 2009 game that fans can attend. And that 2009 game was actually 48-29. It was probably the best QB performance I've ever seen from a Duke QB. Thad went 40-50 for 459 yards and 5 TDs with no picks, this with zero help from the running game.
    was that the game where Duke had TDs on two consecutive pick sixes? And IIRC (dangerous) Duke has done that twice, no other school has done it once.

I share the tendency to look for the next shiny penny, but Duke football 2024 should also be about the guys who have stuck around.

Hereís one, Terry Moore:

https://www.thewashingtondailynews.c...eakout-season/

https://goduke.com/news/2024/1/12/fo...-of-staff.aspx

Now that the on field positions coaches slots have been filled, Manny is building the infrastructure. Justin Wells has a lengthy history with Manny from their time at Miami. It certainly takes a village and, right or wrong, the budget is there for said village to be constructed.
    Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    was that the game where Duke had TDs on two consecutive pick sixes? And IIRC (dangerous) Duke has done that twice, no other school has done it once.
    FL and one of UVA/Pitt have done it for sure. There might be others. It was Duke, Duke, etc. (not the obscene Duke cheer).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Santucci to Georgia Tech as DC. Hearty best wishes to him and a big thanks for making Duke damn tough to score on.

Noah Gray

Making plays for KC tonight. Glad to see Duke FB product on display for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Santucci to Georgia Tech as DC. Hearty best wishes to him and a big thanks for making Duke damn tough to score on.
    Crap. In a perfect world Duke did everything they could to keep Mr. Santucci on board as our defense was very impressive at times this past season...but apparently Duke dinero<GT dinero (no surprise I guess). On second thought - in a perfect world, we would have been able to keep Tyler on the payroll...sigh. Congrats to him and yes, we appreciate very much what he did with the defensive unit.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Crap. In a perfect world Duke did everything they could to keep Mr. Santucci on board as our defense was very impressive at times this past season...but apparently Duke dinero<GT dinero (no surprise I guess). On second thought - in a perfect world, we would have been able to keep Tyler on the payroll...sigh. Congrats to him and yes, we appreciate very much what he did with the defensive unit.
    Am I missing something? Diaz announced his DC hire 12/27. I assumed that meant Santucci was out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Am I missing something? Diaz announced his DC hire 12/27. I assumed that meant Santucci was out of a job.
    I would be interested in learning the full story concerning Santucci. He seemed to do a great job with the defense. He was an Elko guy. Yet Elko went with someone else as his DC at A & M. We donít know if Elko offered him anything. Then, despite the success of Dukeís defense under Santucci, Diaz went with someone else, someone he had previously worked with. Again, we donít know if Diaz offered him anything. But my initial reaction was that Diaz should have tried to keep him because of the success.

I think Georgia Tech made a great hire. Of course you have to have the players, but I predict Tech defense will be great next year. Sorry to see this guy go.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    With all due respect, I believe this is completely wrong. (and I completely agree, Santucci did a great job for us). Diaz is a defensive coach (e.g. at Penn State) and he wants to run his kind of defense...which differs from the Elko style defense Santucci ran at Duke. If I had to guess, I would be that Duke is paying more now for assistants than GT does...Nina knows what has to be done, we're no longer trying to slide by on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    With all due respect, I believe this is completely wrong. (and I completely agree, Santucci did a great job for us). Diaz is a defensive coach (e.g. at Penn State) and he wants to run his kind of defense...which differs from the Elko style defense Santucci ran at Duke. If I had to guess, I would be that Duke is paying more now for assistants than GT does...Nina knows what has to be done, we're no longer trying to slide by on the cheap.
    From what has been reported Santucci is the CO-defensive coordinator, not the sole defensive coordinator.

While some on here did not care for Kevin Johns, he seemed to be a competent OC. Has he been hired anywhere? Elko not only deserted Duke, he deserted most of his staff who made him successful. I have empathy for all those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    From what has been reported Santucci is the CO-defensive coordinator, not the sole defensive coordinator.

While some on here did not care for Kevin Johns, he seemed to be a competent OC. Has he been hired anywhere? Elko not only deserted Duke, he deserted most of his staff who made him successful. I have empathy for all those guys.
    I think Johns (who I agree is good) may still be under contract with Duke since Pantful got some of his assistants two year deals I have read. I think he will do just fine, seems like everyone else has found a home as good assistants generally do.