Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! Any analysis of the team’s highest needs? Obviously that could change if people transfer out…
    Large, tough, experienced OL. And some DL as well, particularly at DT. We just had too many OL in the previous regimes who didn't work out for a variety of reasons. Let's grab some grad transfer Fuqua candidates until we can fill in with recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Large, tough, experienced OL. And some DL as well, particularly at DT. We just had too many OL in the previous regimes who didn't work out for a variety of reasons. Let's grab some grad transfer Fuqua candidates until we can fill in with recruiting.
    My impression is that our line hs recruits often didn't develop into starters, but we certainly did well with line transfers...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A reminder the Spring Game is today at 6 pm. Coverage is on ACCN. I’m very interested to see quarterback Maalik Murphy in action.

https://goduke.com/news/2024/4/20/du...-saturday.aspx
    I appreciate the reminder, Bob. Because I just visited DBR and saw your post I'll be watching it tonight from the comfort of my couch. Yes, I'm already getting excited for the season and am anxious to see new QB Murphy and the rest of the team in action (albeit very limited.)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    My impression is that our line hs recruits often didn't develop into starters, but we certainly did well with line transfers...
    we have, especially two years ago...our yield in recruited OL can hopefully improve, but for now we need assistance.

A few thoughts:

1. Offensive line depth is a HUGE problem. Coach Diaz needs to go get some talent in the portal.
    2. Grayson Loftis looked better than Maalik Murphy early but Murphy improved and ended up with the better stats. The big stat is Murphy threw a TD while Loftis threw an INT. Quarterback competition to continue…
    3. Wide receiver depth looks good. The transfer from ODU, Javon Harvey, has potential to make some noise.
    Bob Green

when one of the commentators mentioned to Manny that "you'll bring in a few guys via the portal" Manny quickly said more than a few.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Vis a vis point # 2, do you have prediction on who will win that competition in the offseason / preseason? Do you think it is Maalik's to lose, so to speak?
    I think that's "our" assumption, but hopefully Manny has a more open mind and may the best player win.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

To be clear I was not assuming the point, though I could easily fathom why some might. Bob, having a good nose for this stuff, maybe will weigh in on his thoughts.

Loftis ... played "big boy" football in SC at Gaffney High...interesting competition.
    As one of DBR's urban representatives, I'd like to take this off-season opportunity to mention that I had a stepfather who starred in football at Gaffney High before playing college ball at the Citadel. Ie, he and Grayson were teammates, 70 years apart.

Following up with the spring portal now closed.

In what appears to be the final roster shaping prior to fall camp, the outbound lane was modestly congested, having several players with minimal previous impact departing. This group includes River Hanson (safety), Quentin Ajiero (CB), Caleb Perez (OT), Isaiah Fisher-Smith (safety), Apollos Cook (WR), Mehki Wall (WR), and Ethan Hubbard (OT). Also, Da’Quan Johnson, who wasn’t on last season’s roster, is in the portal.

Now, announced recently, incoming LB, Alex Howard from Texas A&M. He’s listed at 6’ 2, 230 pounds out of Cincinnati. He started at Youngstown State in 2019. Transferred to A&M in December before committing to Duke.

Old friend Nicky Dalmolin whom I assumed was graduating and moving on announced yesterday he was coming back for one more season. My guess is, he saw the playbook, and saw how involved Jeremiah Hasley was in the passing game during the spring scrimmage.

Stay tuned. With the portal closed, and with a few already committed from earlier portal openings, I suspect Duke will be announcing several players over the next few weeks. In Manny I trust.

^ more than several. A lot.

To be clear I was not assuming the point, though I could easily fathom why some might. Bob, having a good nose for this stuff, maybe will weigh in on his thoughts.
    My apologies for taking so long to respond. IMO, the quarterback competition is wide open and we might not know the answer until a couple games into the season. I can envision a scenario where Coach Diaz says QB “A” will start against Elon but QB “B” will start the 2nd half because we are still trying to figure out who is QB1.

I’d caution you to take my opinion with a big grain of salt because I’m certainly not an expert I’m just a fan with an opinion.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Following up with the spring portal now closed.

In what appears to be the final roster shaping prior to fall camp, the outbound lane was modestly congested, having several players with minimal previous impact departing. This group includes River Hanson (safety), Quentin Ajiero (CB), Caleb Perez (OT), Isaiah Fisher-Smith (safety), Apollos Cook (WR), Mehki Wall (WR), and Ethan Hubbard (OT). Also, Da’Quan Johnson, who wasn’t on last season’s roster, is in the portal.

Now, announced recently, incoming LB, Alex Howard from Texas A&M. He’s listed at 6’ 2, 230 pounds out of Cincinnati. He started at Youngstown State in 2019. Transferred to A&M in December before committing to Duke.

Old friend Nicky Dalmolin whom I assumed was graduating and moving on announced yesterday he was coming back for one more season. My guess is, he saw the playbook, and saw how involved Jeremiah Hasley was in the passing game during the spring scrimmage.

Stay tuned. With the portal closed, and with a few already committed from earlier portal openings, I suspect Duke will be announcing several players over the next few weeks. In Manny I trust.
    Duke receives a commitment from a three star OL transfer from UCLA.

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...09942495563954

https://uclabruins.com/sports/footba...uno-fina/12651
    Last edited by chrishoke; 05-13-2024 at 04:27 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bruno Fina is a grad transfer who started every game last year for a very effective UCLA offensive line.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

From the UCLA link:

“Appeared in 13 games as a starter at left tackle.”
    Bob Green

From the UCLA link:

Fantastic portal transfer.

Bruno Fina is a grad transfer who started every game last year for a very effective UCLA offensive line.
    From the UCLA link:

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Fantastic portal transfer.
    Alternate theory: not a transfer at all. Duke traded Jake Bobo to UCLA in 2021 for a player to be named later, and that player turned out to be Bruno Fina.

brunofina.jpg
    (Source)

From the UCLA link:

Hard to see him not starting for us.

A fifth year guy who started all last season at LT? Wonder if he watched the recent NFL draft?

Plus, he knows his way around excellent football since his dad played 11 NFL seasons.

and he has two years of eligibility left, and his younger brother is a top prospect himself.

Sounds like a big get, and at a huge position of need.

For all the good work Elko did, he was fortunate to inherit two NFL draft pick OL who anchored the line in both of his seasons. I'm worried about how we replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Hard to see him not starting for us.

A fifth year guy who started all last season at LT? Wonder if he watched the recent NFL draft?

Plus, he knows his way around excellent football since his dad played 11 NFL seasons.
    Yeah, good news for sure.

What brought this West Coast guy into Duke's orbit?