Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    For all the good work Elko did, he was fortunate to inherit two NFL draft pick OL who anchored the line in both of his seasons. I'm worried about how we replace them.
    Who knows where the Manny Era goes (personally, Iím hopeful), but itís amazing to me that one year ago today I was bullish on the Elko Era and today I doubt Iíll remember the guyís name in 10 years.

Coach Cut I will remember for sure. Maybe Midnight Mike (thatís pretty catchy) but not sure Iíll remember Elko unless he goes on to greatness or my aging brain ten years from now will remember Midnight Mikeís last name.

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke's in the teaser trailer for the new CFB game this July. We made it, fam!

Been waiting to see post-renovation Wallace Wade in video game form. Love to see it.

Saw some videos of loftis putting the off-season work in with sellers from s.carolina and another qb. Kids working hard which is a good thing.

NIL ranges for football

I realize this Bd understandably has more focus on BBall NIL, but the CBS article on football seems reasonably well sourced on the cost to acquire/keep players. The article also stresses that there are extreme outliers, such as the 2M to Great (negotiating) Osobor in hoops, but gives standard ranges.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-getting-paid/

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post

Unless my eyes deceived me, there's no powder blue team in there either! Double win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    Unless my eyes deceived me, there's no powder blue team in there either! Double win.
    These eyes didnít detect toilet bowl cleaner blue either. Maybe Cheats outsmarted themselves and refused to give game rights to use their team NIL?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    I realize this Bd understandably has more focus on BBall NIL, but the CBS article on football seems reasonably well sourced on the cost to acquire/keep players. The article also stresses that there are extreme outliers, such as the 2M to Great (negotiating) Osobor in hoops, but gives standard ranges.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-getting-paid/
    Thanks for this. Interesting that the average OL makes more than RB or QB according to the article.

The thing about this all that I don't really get...I recognize things are "market rate" these days with NIL, but typically in economics or whatever job we're talking about, the people/company paying their employees/workers are doing so with an expected financial return on their investment. Or they're bringing in revenues that offset the labor costs. For NIL, it's surprising to me that there's that much money out there of people VOLUNTEERING to give up their money for players with no expected financial return -- and that there's that many people out there prioritizing giving to college football players vs. other causes. I know athletic booster clubs had always been relatively well-funded, but to see that all P5 schools can bring in a few million each from boosters to pay their players is astonishing to me. I, for one, would have funding NIL collectives way way down my list of philanthropic efforts and I am clearly a huge huge fan of Duke basketball and Duke athletics. (Of course, I'm not as rich as most of these people.) But the fact that EVERY school basically has funding to this degree signifies that clearly others prioritize things differently (Which is fine, I just figured that there'd be a few outliers on schools that aren't even close to competitive -- for the record, seems like Duke is basically funded by just a few big pocketed people rather than getting money from a large cohort of individuals).

Am I the only one a bit confused by the above? Again, normal economic rules don't apply. These are monies with no expected financial return that people are willingly "giving up" in order to pay college athletes to come to their preferred school. I just didn't think there'd be that many people that prioritize that to this degree over using their money for other things. But perhaps I'm out of touch/out of the loop. I'd have to do the math on the above article to calculate the total salary pay of the full NCAA and divide that by football schools to simply see a calculated NIL football salary average for programs, but football has a LOT of players on their roster so it's quite a large number to give those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    These eyes didnít detect toilet bowl cleaner blue either. Maybe Cheats outsmarted themselves and refused to give game rights to use their team NIL?
    There's a simpler explanation. Back in the day, Mack Brown signed an exclusive lifetime video game deal with Atari. "They're gonna make a comeback," he said.

Notes:

1. It's interesting how I root automatically for the yellow team.
    2. The Atari people did a good job on Drake Maye. Ugly as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    There's a simpler explanation. Back in the day, Mack Brown signed an exclusive lifetime video game deal with Atari. "They're gonna make a comeback," he said.

Notes:

1. It's interesting how I root automatically for the yellow team.
    2. The Atari people did a good job on Drake Maye. Ugly as ever.
    This is great! I donít play these type games anymore; is the new EA game more sophisticated than its Atari grandfather?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    This is great! I don’t play these type games anymore; is the new EA game more sophisticated than its Atari grandfather?
    I haven't owned a video game console since the Sega Genesis, so my guess is, "Yeah, slightly."

---

CBS Sports does an annual offseason ranking of every head football coach from the (4 remaining) power conferences. #1-25 is here, while #26-68 is here.

Here's where the 17 ACC schools (plus Notre Dame) stand.

3. Dabo Swinney, Clemson
    8. Mike Norvell, FSU
    16. Dave Doeren, NC State
    19. Jeff Brohm, Louisville
    24. Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame
    30. Dave Clawson, Wake Forest
    35. Mario Cristobal, Miami
    37. Mack Brown, UNC
    38. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh
    45. Rhett Lashlee, SMU

48. Manny Diaz, Duke
    This marks a return to the rankings for the first time since 2021 when Diaz was at Miami. It didn't work out well for him in Coral Gables (though, who has it turned out well for there lately?), but after two seasons as Penn State's defensive coordinator, Diaz is getting another crack at Duke. It's not the easiest job in the country, but Mike Elko left him a solid foundation, which could help Diaz get the Blue Devils up and running quickly. 2023 rank: n/a
    50. Brent Pry, Virginia Tech
    51. Bill O'Brien, Boston College
    54. Brent Key, Georgia Tech
    57. Justin Wilcox, California
    60. Troy Taylor, Stanford
    62. Tony Elliott, Virginia
    67. Fran Brown, Syracuse

Dabo Swinney ranked as the 3rd best coach in the country?

Again, this year he has added 0 players through the portal transfer process. He has his reasons, but is this really the best approach currently?

Heard the stat recently that only 4 college football teams had 0 incoming portal transfers -- Army, Navy, Air Force, and Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Again, this year he has added 0 players through the portal transfer process. He has his reasons, but is this really the best approach currently?

Heard the stat recently that only 4 college football teams had 0 incoming portal transfers -- Army, Navy, Air Force, and Clemson.
    A salute to Clemson is in order for joining the service academies.

Please note that I used a emoji here.

How many did they lose?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Any ranking that includes Mack Brown in the top 50% is immediately suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    How many did they lose?
    247 shows 12 with one not having picked a school yet. The list includes two 4-stars, nine 3-stars and a 2-star recruit. I donít know the roster enough to have any idea if any are big losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Thanks for this. Interesting that the average OL makes more than RB or QB according to the article.

The thing about this all that I don't really get...I recognize things are "market rate" these days with NIL, but typically in economics or whatever job we're talking about, the people/company paying their employees/workers are doing so with an expected financial return on their investment. Or they're bringing in revenues that offset the labor costs. For NIL, it's surprising to me that there's that much money out there of people VOLUNTEERING to give up their money for players with no expected financial return -- and that there's that many people out there prioritizing giving to college football players vs. other causes. I know athletic booster clubs had always been relatively well-funded, but to see that all P5 schools can bring in a few million each from boosters to pay their players is astonishing to me. I, for one, would have funding NIL collectives way way down my list of philanthropic efforts and I am clearly a huge huge fan of Duke basketball and Duke athletics. (Of course, I'm not as rich as most of these people.) But the fact that EVERY school basically has funding to this degree signifies that clearly others prioritize things differently (Which is fine, I just figured that there'd be a few outliers on schools that aren't even close to competitive -- for the record, seems like Duke is basically funded by just a few big pocketed people rather than getting money from a large cohort of individuals).

Am I the only one a bit confused by the above? Again, normal economic rules don't apply. These are monies with no expected financial return that people are willingly "giving up" in order to pay college athletes to come to their preferred school. I just didn't think there'd be that many people that prioritize that to this degree over using their money for other things. But perhaps I'm out of touch/out of the loop. I'd have to do the math on the above article to calculate the total salary pay of the full NCAA and divide that by football schools to simply see a calculated NIL football salary average for programs, but football has a LOT of players on their roster so it's quite a large number to give those figures.
    I'm right with you on the surprise factor here. I've probably wasted more of my life's minutes on Duke basketball than I should have (hence my presence here), and my friends sometimes question my sanity during games, but my philanthropic dollars have, and never would, go to collegiate sports. Can't spend my money on jewels when there are too many groceries to be bought.

We have some game times!

Aug 30 - Duke v. Elon - 7:30

Sept 7 - Duke @ Northwestern - 9:00

Sept 14 - Duke v. UConn - 6:00

Oct 18 Duke v. FSU - 7:00

I don't know this for sure, but I'd bet last year's team set the program record for night games. We'll have at least 4 more this year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    We have some game times!

FRIDAY Aug 30 - Duke v. Elon - 7:30

FRIDAY Sept 6 - Duke @ Northwestern - 9:00

Sept 14 - Duke v. UConn - 6:00

FRIDAY Oct 18 Duke v. FSU - 7:00

I don't know this for sure, but I'd bet last year's team set the program record for night games. We'll have at least 4 more this year.
    Lotta Fridays.
    PS, here's the link from the ACC. And the game on "September 7th" is on the 6th at NU.

https://theacc.com/news/2024/5/30/ac...uujPzpGOgkbvoz
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."