Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 278
  1. #221
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Temporary structures holding thousands doesn't scream "safety".
    I see something like a 15k facility featuring the barest of aluminum bleachers.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I see something like a 15k facility featuring the barest of aluminum bleachers.
    If Duke already contracted to get 4-5k of those 15k, I assume NW fans are going to form the Wildcat Navy in Lake Michigan or maybe barge seating? I know the students won't be on campus, but I'm confused how they are going to get 14-15k parking there. Duke has more spaces.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    If Duke already contracted to get 4-5k of those 15k, I assume NW fans are going to form the Wildcat Navy in Lake Michigan or maybe barge seating? I know the students won't be on campus, but I'm confused how they are going to get 14-15k parking there. Duke has more spaces.
    you would think NW might accept an offer from Duke, but I imagine there are many considerations I'm not aware of...(and of course I made up the 15k figure)

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    What will the seating capacity be at the temporary structure?
    Some articles claim 15K. Going to have to get creative to make that happen. I assume they will probably run parking shuttles from the Ryan field parking lots.



    They stated they are going to use the existing soccer/lacrosse field (grass in background) and cannibalize some of the football practice field(foreground), but keep using the field hockey field (fake grass partly obscured by the building.)
    The current seating for the soccer field holds 3K.

    I'm guessing they shift the field south so they can put end zone seating on both ends. Probably also a slight shift west to make more room on the east. On the east side, I would guess they do an elevated stand so the participants can be below the seating and they can squeeze in a dozen or so rows.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    on the days when the winds howl off the lake, that place will be a mess. We sat in the upper deck one time at Ryan Field and almost got blown out of our seats.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    When I made that conjecture, I thought they would have realized the issue they would have by trying to start demo and construction now and having to find a place to play.
    I overestimated them.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Some articles claim 15K. Going to have to get creative to make that happen. I assume they will probably run parking shuttles from the Ryan field parking lots.

    I walked on that little path the last time I was up there. It's very sunny. Without putting stands in Lake Michigan, I think 5k max if they channel Midway Airport when they build up the endzones. They might have to rent parking at O'Hare for a bus or a local shopping mall for the cheese wagon/Magic School Bus shuttles they run.

    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    you would think NW might accept an offer from Duke, but I imagine there are many considerations I'm not aware of...(and of course I made up the 15k figure)
    My "offer" still sounds better. Duke makes two trips to their new stadium before say 2028, NW comes to Wally Wade this year with their 6 home games TBD in Chicago. They understandably will keep the Big 10 games in rotating venues in Chicago, and the other 2 non-conference games are 1-offs that would only be played @NW. You can get away with 5k for those two. It's an even exchange, and they have the money from the Big 10 to charter a 747.

  8. #228
    Man Northwestern’s B10 and Ryan Family football money is insane. We are so lucky it’s so miserably cold there, otherwise we’d lose every football recruiting battle (outside of kids that are wed to the southeast).

    If Duke and Stanford get left behind, it will be a massive win for Northwestern football

  9. #229
    I don’t know where to put this, but I was sad to see Steve Sloan, former Duke coach, passed away.

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ama-qb-dies-79

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I don’t know where to put this, but I was sad to see Steve Sloan, former Duke coach, passed away.

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ama-qb-dies-79
    Here's Steve Sloan's obituary from GoDuke.com.

    https://goduke.com/news/2024/4/15/football-former-duke-head-coach-steve-sloan-passes-away.aspx

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    The nucleus of Duke's 1989 ACC Championship team was recruited by Sloan and his top recruiter. I can't remember the recruiter's name. Tommy Something-or-Other?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Franklin TN
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The nucleus of Duke's 1989 ACC Championship team was recruited by Sloan and his top recruiter. I can't remember the recruiter's name. Tommy Something-or-Other?
    Obviously sorry to hear about any good person’s passing. Just could never forgive Sloan for how he failed to utilize the talents of Ben Bennett. The recruiter you reference was the same Tommy Limbaugh quoted in the article.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Obviously sorry to hear about any good person’s passing. Just could never forgive Sloan for how he failed to utilize the talents of Ben Bennett. The recruiter you reference was the same Tommy Limbaugh quoted in the article.
    Thanks, I obviously didn't read carefully enough.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Man Northwestern’s B10 and Ryan Family football money is insane. We are so lucky it’s so miserably cold there, otherwise we’d lose every football recruiting battle (outside of kids that are wed to the southeast).

    If Duke and Stanford get left behind, it will be a massive win for Northwestern football
    Yep, their lakefront PRACTICE facility (that Ryan sponsored of course) that has 50-foot glass walls looking onto the lake cost something like $600M.

    Here's a short video from a recruit from Lodon visiting their facility...He did end up committing to NU.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1M2lY9IKwO/

    And, yes, they're saying 15k for the temporary lakefront stadium. Does seem VERY tight and parking might be a mess, but I think it's a good call to have it on campus and will be picturesque vs. trying to cobble together stadium logistics that are an hour away...Soldier Field and Wrigley didn't have near the availability they needed so they were even looking at Lambeau in Wisconsin for the game vs. Wisconsin (That still might happne...). They're saying they got a feasibility study on the bleachers by the same company that did NASCAR in Chicago as well as a recent PGA Golf Event (16th hole somewhere I think??).

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Obviously sorry to hear about any good person’s passing. Just could never forgive Sloan for how he failed to utilize the talents of Ben Bennett. The recruiter you reference was the same Tommy Limbaugh quoted in the article.
    yes, sorry to hear about Steve...but yeah, a friend of mine still has a VCR tape of a win over Carolina in which Steve made every bad decision imaginable, and we still won the game (somehow).

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep, their lakefront PRACTICE facility (that Ryan sponsored of course) that has 50-foot glass walls looking onto the lake cost something like $600M.

    Here's a short video from a recruit from Lodon visiting their facility...He did end up committing to NU.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1M2lY9IKwO/

    And, yes, they're saying 15k for the temporary lakefront stadium. Does seem VERY tight and parking might be a mess, but I think it's a good call to have it on campus and will be picturesque vs. trying to cobble together stadium logistics that are an hour away...Soldier Field and Wrigley didn't have near the availability they needed so they were even looking at Lambeau in Wisconsin for the game vs. Wisconsin (That still might happne...). They're saying they got a feasibility study on the bleachers by the same company that did NASCAR in Chicago as well as a recent PGA Golf Event (16th hole somewhere I think??).
    Seat Geek in Bridgeview would be even less convenient although at 28K it is probably the best fit size-wise and likely available. This does seem to be the "least bad" temporary solution. Parking will likely be a mess, but per Mapquest, it looks like the site is a ~15 minute walk from the CTA station at Noyes and ~30 minutes from either Metra station.

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Seat Geek in Bridgeview would be even less convenient although at 28K it is probably the best fit size-wise and likely available. This does seem to be the "least bad" temporary solution. Parking will likely be a mess, but per Mapquest, it looks like the site is a ~15 minute walk from the CTA station at Noyes and ~30 minutes from either Metra station.
    Wow, bringing it back in time with the MapQuest reference, haha. 😉

    I think even SeatGeek had conflicts and, as you noted, far away. I think the hope is Northwestern students and nearby faculty will fill the stadium due to convenience/novelty factor and then big boosters/fans from afar will be much fewer. As it stands, they even run shuttles today from downtown Evanston to Ryan Field. I don't think too many folks are commuting via the L except for when Ohio St, Michigan come to town and a lot of those graduates come to Evanston from the city. But yeah, it's not a bad walk at all and more convenient than Ryan Field from that perspective. I'll try to walk and catch a game, the Duke one!

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Spring transfer portal has opened (as of yesterday) for football. It runs from April 16th through the 30th. With practice ending this weekend, keep an eye out on movement either direction. Duke players should have a better idea of if and how they'll fit into Diaz's system, and the coaching staff will have a better idea on what holes need filled.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Spring transfer portal has opened (as of yesterday) for football. It runs from April 16th through the 30th. With practice ending this weekend, keep an eye out on movement either direction. Duke players should have a better idea of if and how they'll fit into Diaz's system, and the coaching staff will have a better idea on what holes need filled.
    Thanks for the heads-up! Any analysis of the team’s highest needs? Obviously that could change if people transfer out…

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    A reminder the Spring Game is today at 6 pm. Coverage is on ACCN. I’m very interested to see quarterback Maalik Murphy in action.

    https://goduke.com/news/2024/4/20/du...-saturday.aspx
    Bob Green

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Baseball 2024
    By Luke102452 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1259
    Last Post: Today, 09:18 AM
  2. Duke Softball 2024
    By DoubleBlue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1477
    Last Post: Yesterday, 10:44 PM
  3. 2024 Duke Football Recruiting
    By johnb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 02-06-2024, 08:59 PM
  4. Football coaching staff (2024)
    By OldPhiKap in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 01-10-2024, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •