Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Iíll take my era (82-85) over yours for opponents:

Jordan, Worthy, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, Brad Daugherty, Len Bias, Ralph Sampson, Mark Price, John Salley, Horace Grant, Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Detlef Schrempf off the top of my head

Early K era so the energy, hostility and creativity of the crowd was arguably a bit more important for our competitiveness. And as noted up thread, also the era of the WaPo editorial and ďavuncular letterĒ from Terry Sanford.
    I'm not sure there's a better four year period for opponents, quite honestly, that 1981-82 through 1984-85.

You left off John Salley too, off the top of my head.

I'd say the crowd was pretty important for Coach K's return in '95 and the subsequent years when we worked to get back to the mountaintop, as well.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Iíll take my era (82-85) over yours for opponents:

Jordan, Worthy, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, Brad Daugherty, Len Bias, Ralph Sampson, Mark Price, John Salley, Horace Grant, Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Detlef Schrempf off the top of my head

Early K era so the energy, hostility and creativity of the crowd was arguably a bit more important for our competitiveness. And as noted up thread, also the era of the WaPo editorial and ďavuncular letterĒ from Terry Sanford.
    Sure. Thatís the thing. Since what 2005? 2010? can any former student say they had a constant, regular follow of superstars come through that were not Duke player? Changes in the NBA and the conference prevent that now. We alway cheer for the front of the jersey but it adds to the excitement and effort if you know and even grudgingly respect your opponent. Thatís especially true for the more causal fan. Now I barely know our roster let allow the rest of the ACC. Iím sure student are the same.

ďHave a drink, Norm Sloan, have a drink!Ē - while students waved large inflated plastic replicas of various liquor bottles. Normís face was a brighter red than his sweater.

This after Sloan had been quoted as saying that the Duke students showed up at games drunk (or something to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Trinity '99 here. Crazie from 95-99.

I am sure BOG was great, and for the record, I know what BOG was. Although they had been disbanded by this point, there was a BOG crest still hanging in the CI along with other frat and student org crests when I was at Duke.

I just want to stand up for the Cameron Crazies from my years: we were really loud and creative. The '98 unc game was the loudest experience of my life. It was like standing in a jet wash... pure white noise. After the game, we stormed the court and a senior, upstairs Crazie, from the looks of it in his late 60s/70s, grabbed me and yelled "That's the loudest it's ever been in this damn building and I've been coming here since the 60s!"
    I think OPK was saying this a little tongue in cheek, but even if he wasnít, this isnít a zero sum game. No defense is necessary. Each class/decade/generation thinks theirs was the best. Itís like trying to compare Bob Verga to JJ, or Dawkins to JWill, Tatum to Hill, etc., etc. It canít really be done. Each was outstanding in their own time against their own levels of competition. BOG was the beginning of what evolved into The Cameron Crazies. Itís hard to argue whether we were better or worse than those that came after, but we were the beginning. I will point out that we didnít have the benefit of the internet nor organized cheer sheets to distribute throughout the student section. Not that everthing was spontaneous, but pretty close. I will also point out that I walked to class barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    I will also point out that I walked to class barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways. Just sayin.
    Did you carry your blind neighbor as I did? 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Did you carry your blind neighbor as I did? 😎
    Was he Roger Ayers?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Also an '85 grad, don't forget we had the Wolfies and heels win NCs plus had a who's who of coaches: V, Leftie, Cremins, the Schnoz, T Holland.
    Louisville visited in '83 "Doctors of Dunk" with Darrell Griffith, the McCray brothers, Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson. Coach Denny Crum.

NPOY: Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, MJ, then JD in '86.

I remember a few frisbees to go with the tennis balls.

The BOGgers were priceless, couthless, relentless. Lefty wigs and all!!
    All very good points! Pretty sure Griffith was in the NBA at that point but that Louisville team was still very formidable - made it to the Final Four where they lost to Houston in one of the most entertaining FF games ever; Cards led at halftime but succumbed to a Phi Slamma Jamma dunkfest in the second half. We played them tough in Cameron after getting mauled at Freedom Hall the prior year, showing the potential of the Class of '86 even if they hadn't quite matured yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Sure. Thatís the thing. Since what 2005? 2010? can any former student say they had a constant, regular follow of superstars come through that were not Duke player? Changes in the NBA and the conference prevent that now. We alway cheer for the front of the jersey but it adds to the excitement and effort if you know and even grudgingly respect your opponent. Thatís especially true for the more causal fan. Now I barely know our roster let allow the rest of the ACC. Iím sure student are the same.
    No doubt. And I actually tend to defend the current students and crowd for exactly those reasons, as well as the difference in urgency. We generally expect a W in every home game these days, other than against the very toughest opponents. That was not the case early in the K era, or in the '95 and immediately post era, as noted by EDouble.

I believe Jackie Manual was the shooter.
    In that case Speedo Guy was probably superfluous.

You are absolutely correct!

I believe Jackie Manual was the shooter.
    I was laughing so hard that I didn't focus on the shooter, but it was--certainly was--Jackie Manuel. And if you want to see one of the funniest YouTube videos of all time (especially if you weren't around in those glory days!), go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmJKJ2Pm7Y

Enjoy yourselves and GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb