Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And there was the game when the court was showered with flying Trojans. (And we weren't playing USC)

I think my parents had to explain a few things unexpectedly to me after that one.
    That was the infamous game against Maryland and Herman Veal in 1984. Veal was accused of sexually assaulting a female Maryland student. There were ads in the Chronicle that week encouraging students to bring condoms and panties to the game to throw on the court. The resulting blowback against the Cameron Crazies was intense. Ken Denlinger of the Washington Post wrote a column about poor old Herman and those mean Duke students whom he referred to as "Six thousand spoiled brats majoring in smartass". After that game every Duke student received an "Avuncular Letter" from Duke President Terry Sanford telling us to clean up our act which was done in the next home game against Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    When was the switch from students being on both sides of the court?
    My son graduated in 2002, and all throughout his 4 years, he said the "bench side" bleachers were always full of students, just like the "TV side". He sat on the "bench side"... the *real* crazies (painted, etc) were on the "TV side". So... at least through the 2002 season, students on both sides of the court in the bleachers.

What is/was BOG?
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwGT2 View Post
    BUNCH OF GUYS. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
    Correct. It was a non-fraternity fraternity/living group (on West when I was there). They would get on both sides of the court. No cheer sheets, etc. — just original stuff with lots of energy and synergy. The ones I knew were a hell of a lot of fun when they wandered over to our enclave on East. And I always enjoyed parties over there. (You could still have kegs on campus, and yes — you could stand on the quad grass).

Oh, and they threw tennis balls back and forth over the court. Usually only before games but I can’t swear to that.
    “You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know.” — GD

Bunch of Guys is correct, but my future (and still current) wife at the time called it Bordering on Greek. It was one of the first, if not the first, organized, selective independent houses.

This whole thread is incredibly disturbing. Everyone on the Duke
    Campus should
    Know what BOG was, and represents.

I did not live in BOG, but I had many friends there, sat with them for games I wasn’t in the band or doing games on WXDU, and have several Lefty and NCSU taunting stories from sitting in that section. BOG is iconic, it is a major piece of Duke University history, it fostered the “good trouble” on campus and in Cameron, and gave overall life to the university in the later part of the century. BOG was well-publicized by Dickie V, calling the residents the B-O-Gers” as he got passed up their section of Cameron.
    One time I came over to say hi. The section and the entire hallway had turned into one gigantic slip and slide. Flooding the dorm was a necessity.
    Like all other Duke grads, those Boggers who did not end up with felony records actually went on to fairly productive lives and contributed to society. 😂
    So…”what’s BOG” should never be stated again. It is an essential part Of Duke University history and full of warm memories. I’m sure Dean Sue could confirm the love-hate-yeah, really love. BOGers need to chime in and help the next generation work toward a better, more obnoxious and Entertaining Cameron for tomorrow.

Oh, and so YES to
    speedo guy. If it’s so wrong it’s right.

Now, I’m off to the Pits for friday chocolate cookies and Texas straw Hat.”
    Did I just hear someone ask “ what’s the Pits?!”

I always tried to sit behind the buffer section - comparatively better seats for my place in line, compared to what would be open at the same time on what we called the "TV slut" side, I could see what was going on in the visitor huddle, and it was ALWAYS entertaining to be near BOG.

I've had so many thoughts over the years about the important parts of Cameron that are less intense/interesting now than they used to be, but I've tried to keep them to myself, because who wants to hear middle-aged people talking like that? My kid is a freshman this year, though, and I've found myself lecturing him about how being loud is more important than anything, and being loud for good defensive plays is also more important than anything, and that the students need to save their "stand up" chants for times that make sense in the flow of the game, and that the crazy acceleration of LGD just makes it less effective. And also, being loud is more important than anything. Probably need to rein it in, but for now, he's listening.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is your "stay off my lawn" notice one of those small wicket signs or do you have a full banner over your garage?
    I have it tattooed on my forehead!

Mitch84 is exactly right. In the mid 70s BOG was an incredibly selective living group. Great students, Solid IMs, Varsity athletes. Terry Sanford often ate breakfast at the BOG table in the pits, that’s great leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by DeweyDevil View Post
    That was the infamous game against Maryland and Herman Veal in 1984. Veal was accused of sexually assaulting a female Maryland student. There were ads in the Chronicle that week encouraging students to bring condoms and panties to the game to throw on the court. The resulting blowback against the Cameron Crazies was intense. Ken Denlinger of the Washington Post wrote a column about poor old Herman and those mean Duke students whom he referred to as "Six thousand spoiled brats majoring in smartass". After that game every Duke student received an "Avuncular Letter" from Duke President Terry Sanford telling us to clean up our act which was done in the next home game against Carolina.
    And the home game against the holes that soon followed introduced the "WE BEG TO DIFFER" chant and the poster that said, "WE'RE SO GOOD WE'RE SCARY!!!" Students wearing haloes. This was all in reaction to the chastising letter to the students from Uncle Terry.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    And the home game against the holes that soon followed introduced the "WE BEG TO DIFFER" chant and the poster that said, "WE'RE SO GOOD WE'RE SCARY!!!" Students wearing haloes. This was all in reaction to the chastising letter to the students from Uncle Terry.
    And then Saint Dean hits the scorer and the scoreboard controls to give the cheats 20 extra points, but K is the one who ultimately gets a T.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Not to mention 'welcome, honored guests.'🤣

When was the switch from students being on both sides of the court?
    I was there from 2001-2005, overlapping with several of the other posters in this thread recalling the situation in the 2000s. For context, I attended every home game I could, only missing two outside of my fall semester abroad. My anecdotal recollection is that the TV side was populated by the general student population (i.e. the "Crazies", including all the tenters). The bench side was populated by the opposing team's contingent (several rows behind the visiting bench), Duke team family/friends/guests/former players (behind the Duke bench), and - in-between the benches - a mix of both, some students, and some ticketed entry (especially for less-prominent games, e.g. the Southern Indiana's of the world). The student spaces on the bench side were often, I believe, reserved for student groups invited to the game (e.g. an acapella or chorale group that sang the national anthem at that particular game, student groups being honored at a timeout or halftime for whatever reason, etc.), and rarely were the "Crazies".

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Once BOG went away, things declined.
    Trinity '99 here. Crazie from 95-99.

I am sure BOG was great, and for the record, I know what BOG was. Although they had been disbanded by this point, there was a BOG crest still hanging in the CI along with other frat and student org crests when I was at Duke.

I just want to stand up for the Cameron Crazies from my years: we were really loud and creative. The '98 unc game was the loudest experience of my life. It was like standing in a jet wash... pure white noise. After the game, we stormed the court and a senior, upstairs Crazie, from the looks of it in his late 60s/70s, grabbed me and yelled "That's the loudest it's ever been in this damn building and I've been coming here since the 60s!"
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Trinity '99 here. Crazie from 95-99.

I am sure BOG was great, and for the record, I know what BOG was. Although they had been disbanded by this point, there was a BOG crest still hanging in the CI along with other frat and student org crests when I was at Duke.

I just want to stand up for the Cameron Crazies from my years: we were really loud and creative. The '98 unc game was the loudest experience of my life. It was like standing in a jet wash... pure white noise. After the game, we stormed the court and a senior, upstairs Crazie, from the looks of it in his late 60s/70s, grabbed me and yelled "That's the loudest it's ever been in this damn building and I've been coming here since the 60s!"
    Yeah, we don't get enough credit for "You shot the sheriff!" (probably because it was an exhibition but the shooter laughed with us and missed). I'm also T'99 and outside of a game or two around exams the Crazies always represented even coming off that 95 season. The world was smaller then as was the ACC. Back then the Crazies were more familiar with the opponents and we had some superstars come through multiple times. All the Duke classes before the early 2000s did. That type of intimacy has been reduced with each round of expansion. Everybody from a pre A/C, pre video board, pre NBA style introduction will think their time was better than now but as Cameron has change so has the student body. We've talked on other threads about how new students are looking for a difference experience especially after the pandemic. Some of what they are looking for revolves around athletics so maybe the student body is ready for another reflection in the near term.

2003-04 HLM checking in here to clarify what the setup was like downstairs at least through 2006-07.

Section 17 (TV side) - all undergrads
    Section 18 (Band end) - The band was where they currently are. Next to the band was the Duke Dancing Devils as well as random guests of the team. This included recruits and families, some groups like national anthem singers, and other Duke athletes who got designated tickets, like football players
    Section 19 (non-TV side) - behind the visitors bench, 2 rows would be reserved for the opposing team. There were then 2 rows of students called the Buffer Zone. That Buffer Zone consisted of Duke Student Government leaders, leaders of other major groups like Panhellenic Council, National Panhellenic Council, and even some school administrators like some of the deans. These people got those tickets if they promised to keep the peace and make sure that nothing got onto the court or would stop anyone else from berating the opposing team fans. Behind that buffer zone was about 3-4 rows of undergrads and they could fill in that part of the section all the way to midcourt. Sometimes, we were even given the last couple of rows behind the Duke bench if we needed it to squeeze as many fans in there as possible.
    Section 20 (Grad student end) - all grad students

I was told this past season that I still hold the record for getting the most undergrads into Cameron for 1 game: the Wake game in 2004. The official capacity of Section 17 was 900 seated, 1200 standing. Section 17 that night held 1950 students, and that's not counting the non-TV side and every other nook and cranny we put students in that day!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Ah, the memories!

Thank you, everyone, for recalling the spectacular and sometimes off-color cheers that are part of Cameron's lore. My favorite, hands down, was Speedo Guy... Coach K wasn't thrilled with him and said that people shouldn't go around in their underwear, but he made a Tar Heel (Vince Carter, maybe) miss two free throws.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day. GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yeah, we don't get enough credit for "You shot the sheriff!" (probably because it was an exhibition but the shooter laughed with us and missed). I'm also T'99 and outside of a game or two around exams the Crazies always represented even coming off that 95 season. The world was smaller then as was the ACC. Back then the Crazies were more familiar with the opponents and we had some superstars come through multiple times. All the Duke classes before the early 2000s did. That type of intimacy has been reduced with each round of expansion. Everybody from a pre A/C, pre video board, pre NBA style introduction will think their time was better than now but as Cameron has change so has the student body. We've talked on other threads about how new students are looking for a difference experience especially after the pandemic. Some of what they are looking for revolves around athletics so maybe the student body is ready for another reflection in the near term.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for recalling the spectacular and sometimes off-color cheers that are part of Cameron's lore. My favorite, hands down, was Speedo Guy... Coach K wasn't thrilled with him and said that people shouldn't go around in their underwear, but he made a Tar Heel (Vince Carter, maybe) miss two free throws.

VC predates Speedo Guy by a bit.

And to pick up where Kdogg left off, we certainly had our share of superstars pass through during our time: Vince and Antawn, 'Sheed and Stackhouse, Baron Davis, Tractor Trailer, Steve Francis, Tim Duncan, Stephon Marbury, Matt Harpring, Mike Miller off the top of my head. They were all treated to some serious trash talk during warmups.

"You shot the Sheriff" was indeed one of our finest moments.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post

I believe Jackie Manual was the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    VC predates Speedo Guy by a bit.

And to pick up where Kdogg left off, we certainly had our share of superstars pass through during our time: Vince and Antawn, 'Sheed and Stackhouse, Baron Davis, Tractor Trailer, Steve Francis, Tim Duncan, Stephon Marbury, Matt Harpring, Mike Miller off the top of my head. They were all treated to some serious trash talk during warmups.

"You shot the Sheriff" was indeed one of our finest moments.
    I’ll take my era (82-85) over yours for opponents:

Jordan, Worthy, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, Brad Daugherty, Len Bias, Ralph Sampson, Mark Price, John Salley, Horace Grant, Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Detlef Schrempf off the top of my head

Early K era so the energy, hostility and creativity of the crowd was arguably a bit more important for our competitiveness. And as noted up thread, also the era of the WaPo editorial and “avuncular letter” from Terry Sanford.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I’ll take my era (82-85) over yours for opponents:

Jordan, Worthy, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, Brad Daugherty, Len Bias, Ralph Sampson, Mark Price, John Salley, Horace Grant, Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Detlef Schrempf off the top of my head

Early K era so the energy, hostility and creativity of the crowd was arguably a bit more important for our competitiveness. And as noted up thread, also the era of the WaPo editorial and “avuncular letter” from Terry Sanford.
    Also an '85 grad, don't forget we had the Wolfies and heels win NCs plus had a who's who of coaches: V, Leftie, Cremins, the Schnoz, T Holland.
    Louisville visited in '83 "Doctors of Dunk" with Darrell Griffith, the McCray brothers, Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson. Coach Denny Crum.

NPOY: Ralph, Ralph, Ralph, MJ, then JD in '86.

I remember a few frisbees to go with the tennis balls.

The BOGgers were priceless, couthless, relentless. Lefty wigs and all!!