Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco

    2024-25 Schedule Intel

    In the post-game presser after Michigan State, Scheyer was asked whether he preferred the Champions' Classic being the first game of the season (as it was in 2021) vs. third game of the season (as it was this year). In his comments, Scheyer said that the Champions Classic next year will be the third game of the season (which Scheyer prefers). This got me thinking that it might be time to get this thread started!

    Here's what I know/suspect:

    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. 14: vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic); @Atlanta, GA
    Nov. 21: @ Arizona
    Week of November 25: [Holiday Tournament?]

    A few initial thoughts:

    1. It will be interesting to see what approach Scheyer takes with that second game. Will he feel we were burned by the Arizona experience this year and schedule soft? Or, will he value the reality check we got and schedule tough? Given the Arizona trip

    2. The Arizona game is a week and a half later next year than it was this year, and will put us in Arizona the Thursday before Thanksgiving. This seems to make a West Coast, Vegas, or Hawaii (I'm not sure what the status of the Maui Invitational is going forward) holiday tournament a no-brainer.

    3. Will there be an ACC/SEC Challenge? If so, when will it be? We are due for a home game. It won't precede the Champions Classic, so that leaves either sandwiched between Kentucky and Arizona (which would be brutal), or, more likely, the first week of December. My guess is we'll have a soft opponent between Kentucky and Arizona to implement whatever learnings come out of the Kentucky game.

    That's all I got.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Arizona

    I think when Scheyer met with the press before the Arizona game he said he would have preferred to have that game later in the season and not quite so early, but scheduling is difficult. So expect the first two games to be easier than this year.

  3. #3
    The graphic I saw said the Classic would be November 12 (a Tuesday) not the 14.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    The graphic I saw said the Classic would be November 12 (a Tuesday) not the 14.
    You are correct. My mistake.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    In the post-game presser after Michigan State, Scheyer was asked whether he preferred the Champions' Classic being the first game of the season (as it was in 2021) vs. third game of the season (as it was this year). In his comments, Scheyer said that the Champions Classic next year will be the third game of the season (which Scheyer prefers). This got me thinking that it might be time to get this thread started!

    Here's what I know/suspect:

    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. 14: vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic); @Atlanta, GA
    Nov. 21: @ Arizona
    Week of November 25: [Holiday Tournament?]

    A few initial thoughts:

    1. It will be interesting to see what approach Scheyer takes with that second game. Will he feel we were burned by the Arizona experience this year and schedule soft? Or, will he value the reality check we got and schedule tough? Given the Arizona trip

    2. The Arizona game is a week and a half later next year than it was this year, and will put us in Arizona the Thursday before Thanksgiving. This seems to make a West Coast, Vegas, or Hawaii (I'm not sure what the status of the Maui Invitational is going forward) holiday tournament a no-brainer.

    3. Will there be an ACC/SEC Challenge? If so, when will it be? We are due for a home game. It won't precede the Champions Classic, so that leaves either sandwiched between Kentucky and Arizona (which would be brutal), or, more likely, the first week of December. My guess is we'll have a soft opponent between Kentucky and Arizona to implement whatever learnings come out of the Kentucky game.
    On #3, I would say it's a 99.99% certainty the ACC/SEC Challenge will continue given ESPN's deep investment in both leagues. And given past practice for the various Challenges, which have for 20 years been the Tues/Wed. after Thanksgiving, I'd say it's a good bet it will be Dec. 3-4.

    On #2, I'd love it to see Duke back in a real challenging MTE instead of the dreck this year. But, the MTEs for next season are already filling up (the Maui and Atlantis and San Diego fields are already full), and the pool of good teams to potentially play against is kind of shrinking:


    Maui: North Carolina, U.Conn, Michigan St., Auburn, Memphis, Colorado, Iowa St., Dayton

    Atlantis: Arizona, Gonzaga, Indiana, Creighton, West Virginia, Louisville, Oklahoma, Davidson

    San Diego: Arkansas, Purdue, Notre Dame, BYU

    Bahamas: St. John’s, Baylor, Tennessee, TBD

    The open spot in the Bahamas field seems kind of enticing, though if our rumored game against St. John's at Arthur Ashe Stadium comes to pass then maybe that tournament wouldn't work.

    The next best alternative might be to try to set up one of the 4 team, 2 game events in Vegas with some combination of Kansas/Houston (Big 12), UCLA/USC/Michigan/Ohio St. (Big 10), and Texas/Bama (SEC) or Villanova/Marquette (Big East)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of Travis County
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    On #3, I would say it's a 99.99% certainty the ACC/SEC Challenge will continue given ESPN's deep investment in both leagues. And given past practice for the various Challenges, which have for 20 years been the Tues/Wed. after Thanksgiving, I'd say it's a good bet it will be Dec. 3-4.

    On #2, I'd love it to see Duke back in a real challenging MTE instead of the dreck this year. But, the MTEs for next season are already filling up (the Maui and Atlantis and San Diego fields are already full), and the pool of good teams to potentially play against is kind of shrinking:


    Maui: North Carolina, U.Conn, Michigan St., Auburn, Memphis, Colorado, Iowa St., Dayton

    Atlantis: Arizona, Gonzaga, Indiana, Creighton, West Virginia, Louisville, Oklahoma, Davidson

    San Diego: Arkansas, Purdue, Notre Dame, BYU

    Bahamas: St. John’s, Baylor, Tennessee, TBD

    The open spot in the Bahamas field seems kind of enticing, though if our rumored game against St. John's at Arthur Ashe Stadium comes to pass then maybe that tournament wouldn't work.

    The next best alternative might be to try to set up one of the 4 team, 2 game events in Vegas with some combination of Kansas/Houston (Big 12), UCLA/USC/Michigan/Ohio St. (Big 10), and Texas/Bama (SEC) or Villanova/Marquette (Big East)
    I agree with you and am worried we will have Duke Classic dreck again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Don't we play St. John's in the tennis stadium next year in theory?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I agree with you and am worried we will have Duke Classic dreck again.
    I am pretty sure the MTE rules only allow you to run your own event every 3 or 4 years.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    On #3, I would say it's a 99.99% certainty the ACC/SEC Challenge will continue given ESPN's deep investment in both leagues. And given past practice for the various Challenges, which have for 20 years been the Tues/Wed. after Thanksgiving, I'd say it's a good bet it will be Dec. 3-4.

    On #2, I'd love it to see Duke back in a real challenging MTE instead of the dreck this year. But, the MTEs for next season are already filling up (the Maui and Atlantis and San Diego fields are already full), and the pool of good teams to potentially play against is kind of shrinking:


    Maui: North Carolina, U.Conn, Michigan St., Auburn, Memphis, Colorado, Iowa St., Dayton

    Atlantis: Arizona, Gonzaga, Indiana, Creighton, West Virginia, Louisville, Oklahoma, Davidson

    San Diego: Arkansas, Purdue, Notre Dame, BYU

    Bahamas: St. John’s, Baylor, Tennessee, TBD

    The open spot in the Bahamas field seems kind of enticing, though if our rumored game against St. John's at Arthur Ashe Stadium comes to pass then maybe that tournament wouldn't work.

    The next best alternative might be to try to set up one of the 4 team, 2 game events in Vegas with some combination of Kansas/Houston (Big 12), UCLA/USC/Michigan/Ohio St. (Big 10), and Texas/Bama (SEC) or Villanova/Marquette (Big East)
    There's also the Charleston Classic. It looked as if Duke was going this year but announced its own MTE at the last minute. I don't think any teams have been announced so far for the 2024 Charleston Classic Tournament.

  10. #10
    Duke has skipped a major MTE in 2 of the last 3 years. Hopefully next year will be different. Given the state of the ACC, I think we need more than 4 challenging OOC games.

    Also, aren't we overdue for a foreign tour? I believe the last one was 18-19.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Duke has skipped a major MTE in 2 of the last 3 years. Hopefully next year will be different. Given the state of the ACC, I think we need more than 4 challenging OOC games.

    Also, aren't we overdue for a foreign tour? I believe the last one was 18-19.
    I suspect that COVID made lots of this type of planning complicated in the last several years. Hoping we can get back to these events that serve as a great rest of a team, as well as some opportunities for building cohesion for our players.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Updated Draft 2024-25 Schedule

    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. __: _________
    Nov. 12: vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic); @ Atlanta, GA
    Nov. 21: @ Arizona
    Week of November 25: [Holiday Tournament or Duke Dreck Challenge?]
    [Dec. 3/4: ACC-SEC Challenge?]
    [TBD: vs. St. John's; @ Flushing, NY, Arthur Ashe Stadium]
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Duke has skipped a major MTE in 2 of the last 3 years. Hopefully next year will be different. Given the state of the ACC, I think we need more than 4 challenging OOC games.

    Also, aren't we overdue for a foreign tour? I believe the last one was 18-19.
    A foreign tour would help with the Flagg raising.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I agree with you and am worried we will have Duke Classic dreck again.
    In Scheyers LaSalle post game presser, he said that next year the team wont be in Durham during Thanksgiving week, so it sounds like this years Blue Devil Challenge is a one-off.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    In Scheyer’s LaSalle post game presser, he said that next year the team won’t be in Durham during Thanksgiving week, so it sounds like this year’s Blue Devil Challenge is a one-off.
    Duke is long overdue for the PNIT. The last trip was 2013 when Duke let ECU hang around in Cameron way too long. The Charleston Classic referenced above conflicts with the AZ road trip.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Determining Duke's 2024 Thanksgiving plans could be just a matter of process of elimination. For example, they won't play the Battle 4 Atlantis:



    Weird to see two Big 12 teams in the field, neither of which is Oklahoma.

    ETA: I see Nugget posted the list of teams earlier. Apologies. It was officially announced yesterday.
    Last edited by brevity; 11-30-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke MBB 2023-24 schedule intel
    By geeveebee in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 07-20-2023, 05:25 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-20-2022, 12:18 PM
  3. Any intel on Stanford?
    By hurleyfor3 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
  4. Lax Schedule Intel
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
  5. Intel on Ed Davis, UNC commit
    By whereinthehellami in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •