Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Everyone crashes at Jason's house!!!
    Dibs, Jason!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is a fascinating idea!! Here is a link to a story that is not behind a paywall -- https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...99989bb6e8292b



    3 ACC teams? That probably doesn't work. Houston and Kansas similarly might be problematic.

    The idea is that each school's collective would be given $1 mil to distribute to the players as it sees fit. The winning school would get an extra million, which effectively means these college basketball players would be playing for a large bonus check.

    This is a "change the face of college basketball" kind of idea.
    They're in talks with all those teams, but I imagine that not all of them will commit to that one. I assume that if we want to be in it, we'll be one of the first teams chosen. But, after Chicago, I'm sure Duke will be all over the NCAA to make absolutely certain that it's allowed and they can participate.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    A report has emerged that Duke will open the season on Monday, November 4th against Maine, as Cooper Flagg will play the team from his home state in his first official Duke game.

    https://x.com/madeformarch/status/1780218128850354332
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  4. #44
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    A report has emerged that Duke will open the season on Monday, November 4th against Maine, as Cooper Flagg will play the team from his home state in his first official Duke game.

    https://x.com/madeformarch/status/1780218128850354332
    Maine finished #231 in KenPom last year. This is a cool storyline to what otherwise would be a meaningless buy game, but hopefully the rest of our non-conference games are scheduled a touch more aggressively for March purposes...
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Maine finished #231 in KenPom last year. This is a cool storyline to what otherwise would be a meaningless buy game, but hopefully the rest of our non-conference games are scheduled a touch more aggressively for March purposes...
    I agree. You can do this for Flagg, but the rest of the non-con must be stout (<150 range).

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Maine finished #231 in KenPom last year. This is a cool storyline to what otherwise would be a meaningless buy game, but hopefully the rest of our non-conference games are scheduled a touch more aggressively for March purposes...
    Oh absolutely. Nice way to ease into the season, and I know we still have yet to hear definitive plans for the early season tournament we will play in, which should help with the non-con schedule. We got Arizona, Kentucky, and ACC/SEC (Arkansas?) coming. But, hopefully Maine is the only team we play in the 200s next season other than potentially Louisville
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  7. #47
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Oh absolutely. Nice way to ease into the season, and I know we still have yet to hear definitive plans for the early season tournament we will play in, which should help with the non-con schedule. We got Arizona, Kentucky, and ACC/SEC (Arkansas?) coming. But, hopefully Maine is the only team we play in the 200s next season other than potentially Louisville
    This is major wishcasting on my part, but how awesome would it be if we scheduled a home-and-home with UConn starting next year to get Flagg a game back close to home? UConn is the unofficial team of most of the New England region (or so I've learned in my few months here).

    Would this also give me the opportunity to see the team in person quite easily? Yes. But that's not why I'd like to see this, no sir...
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    There are 3 times when you want to schedule a Maine-like team for all Duke sports:

    1. The opener.
    2. Reading period (since this is usually tougher for Duke athletes than exam week).
    3. Right after exams.

    Of Duke's minimum 6 non-conference home teams every year, you've got 3 for higher quality opponents. 1 of those will be TBD-SEC. 2 of those really need to be better than Southern IN/Dartmouth/Bucknell.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    UConn is the unofficial team of most of the New England region (or so I've learned in my few months here).
    Nah, I am pretty sure the unofficial college basketball team of New England is Red Sox spring training. At least that's what you would believe if you listened to Boston sports radio in March.


    UConn basketball also appears to be behind Patriots mock-drafting, the Celtics, the Bruins, tunnel closures, complaining about the weather, college hockey, and (for one weekend, at least) the Boston Marathon.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    A report has emerged that Duke will open the season on Monday, November 4th against Maine, as Cooper Flagg will play the team from his home state in his first official Duke game.

    https://x.com/madeformarch/status/1780218128850354332
    If true, this would be Dukeís earliest start to a regular season since at least 2002-03, probably longer, and possibly ever.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  11. #51
    Like 8 above (I think thatís a cooler nickname than ScottDude, with respect), I would love to see a home and home series with UConn, or even a neutral site (Garden) game. Thatís what the fans want, and thatís where the early season eyeball-$$$ would be. Make it so, Number One!

    Go Duke! 9F
    Last edited by kidA; 04-16-2024 at 05:54 PM. Reason: One too many 8ís

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This is major wishcasting on my part, but how awesome would it be if we scheduled a home-and-home with UConn starting next year to get Flagg a game back close to home? UConn is the unofficial team of most of the New England region (or so I've learned in my few months here).

    Would this also give me the opportunity to see the team in person quite easily? Yes. But that's not why I'd like to see this, no sir...
    I have heard of another home-and-home that is potentially in the works that would be ginormous. If it gets across the finish line, the question will be whether it starts next season or two seasons after that.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I have heard of another home-and-home that is potentially in the works that would be ginormous. If it gets across the finish line, the question will be whether it starts next season or two seasons after that.
    I have always wanted a home-and-home with Gonzaga and Kansas. So far I like the scheduling Jon has done so far.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Maine finished #231 in KenPom last year. This is a cool storyline to what otherwise would be a meaningless buy game, but hopefully the rest of our non-conference games are scheduled a touch more aggressively for March purposes...
    This is a perfectly reasonable and normal season opener. Save for the season-opening Champions Classics, Duke generally plays a team like this right off the bat; last season it was Dartmouth, which was one of four such games Duke played prior to Jan. 1 against non-conference opponents worse than Maine was.

    Duke also hosted Maine in 16/17, which I believe was Tatum's first game for Duke after returning from injury.
    Last edited by BrummieDevil; 04-17-2024 at 07:21 AM.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Here's what I know/suspect:
    Additional Notes:
    Include ME in your next update.

    ACC-SEC. SC, KY, MS, AL, AR, Vandy, and Auburn owe road games to the ACC. You can take KY off the list for this year. TX and OK are new and could start on the road. 2 ACC teams will sit out.

    ACC schedule does not have to start before 12/30. No bye week is required this year with an even number of teams. I suspect the ACC will move 1-2 games before bowl season with the Stanford/Cal pair to have two games.

    Duke reading period and exams fall between 12/7-16.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I have heard of another home-and-home that is potentially in the works that would be ginormous. If it gets across the finish line, the question will be whether it starts next season or two seasons after that.
    Cat is out of the bag!!

    Duke is apparently going to play Kansas days after we play Arizona. Game will be in Vegas!

    https://x.com/stevewisemannc/status/...800858598?s=46
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cat is out of the bag!!

    Duke is apparently going to play Kansas days after we play Arizona. Game will be in Vegas!

    https://x.com/stevewisemannc/status/...800858598?s=46
    So Duke is playing Arizona, Kansas and Kentucky in the same season. Interesting, it will certainly give Cooper Flagg a chance to shine under the spotlight.

  18. #58
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cat is out of the bag!!

    Duke is apparently going to play Kansas days after we play Arizona. Game will be in Vegas!

    https://x.com/stevewisemannc/status/...800858598?s=46
    Love it! The fact that Jon is scheduling this aggressively says to me that he's psyched about the team he's going to have in the fall, and wants to leave no doubts come Selection Sunday.

    If this is an MTE (as Wiseman's tweet suggests) will be interesting to see what the other matchups are. Would love to see this marquee opportunity complimented with one (or more) additional borderline Q1/2 games.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  19. #59
    I love toughening up the schedule but playing Kansas in Vegas plus an 8-team tournament in Vegas?

    I'd still like to see a major non-conference home game.

    Update: Now I see that Duke may be adding a home game with Arkansas to the schedule. That would be separate from the ACC-SEC Challenge, wouldn't it? The ACC would be announcing the Challenge match-ups.
    Last edited by hallcity; 04-18-2024 at 03:51 PM.

  20. #60
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I love toughening up the schedule but playing Kansas in Vegas plus an 8-team tournament in Vegas?

    I'd still like to see a major non-conference home game.

    Update: Now I see that Duke may be adding a home game with Arkansas to the schedule. That would be separate from the ACC-SEC Challenge, wouldn't it? The ACC would be announcing the Challenge match-ups.
    Nope, that "probably Arkansas at home" is assuming that we'll get a "return" visit from Arkansas after we visited them last year as part of the Challenge. That's a big assumption, but that type of unofficial home and home ended up happening a lot during the ACC/Big 10 challenge.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke MBB 2023-24 schedule intel
    By geeveebee in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 07-20-2023, 04:25 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-20-2022, 11:18 AM
  3. Any intel on Stanford?
    By hurleyfor3 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
  4. Lax Schedule Intel
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
  5. Intel on Ed Davis, UNC commit
    By whereinthehellami in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •