Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, Soto's "down" years have still been worth 5+ WAR per season. That's amazing. He doesn't always have a high average, but he is always on base and hits a ton of HR. He's on the upper end of the elite offensive players in baseball, every year. Even in 2022, when his average was just .242, his offensive value was still 45% greater than the average hitter. He was 8th in wRC+ in 2023, 10th in wRC+ in 2023, 3rd in 2021, 1st in 2020, 12th in 2019. And that's at ages 20-24.
    Having his 400 OBP in front of Judge is going to be very interesting.

Orioles for sale?

Duke grad in talks to buy the Orioles: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...html#comments

The ongoing “is he/isn’t he” media saga today about Ohtani and the Blue Jays has been hysterical. One source said he was on a private plane to Toronto, then another refuted it. And someone else confirmed it was one of the Shark Tank guys instead. I did not have “Ohtani gets confused for a Shark Tank guy” on my offseason bingo card.

The articles crying about how Ohtani wants to keep it quiet are pretty ridiculous too. As if he hasn’t earned the right to do things his way.

Ohtani to the Dodgers.

10 years / $700 million.

Biggest contract in North American sports history.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Ohtani to the Dodgers.

10 years / $700 million.

Biggest contract in North American sports history.
    Maybe it’s just me but I think this is a terrible contract for the Dodgers. 10 years for a 29 year old guy? They will be paying him $70 million a year when he’s 37, 38, and 39 years old! And what if he gets seriously injured at some point? It is just a huge risk.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but I think this is a terrible contract for the Dodgers. 10 years for a 29 year old guy? They will be paying him $70 million a year when he’s 37, 38, and 39 years old! And what if he gets seriously injured at some point? It is just a huge risk.
    Isn’t he already seriously injured?

-jk

Well

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    It's going to look terrible in those last three years, yes, but in the short run he's a great hitter who will make the Dodgers' lineup amazing. And he'll make the Dodgers must-see TV. The Dodgers' ownership is pretty sophisticated finally, so I'm sure they've done the analysis to show that they'll make more money with Otani on board, even after paying his enormous salary.

I don't like any of this, mind you.

Apparently more than half of Ohtani’s salary is deferred, significantly mitigating the competitive balance tax hit. It is something his camp supposedly suggested in order to give the Dodgers more long term financial flexibility.

I will be doing my part and buying an authentic jersey as soon as it goes on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Apparently more than half of Ohtani’s salary is deferred, significantly mitigating the competitive balance tax hit. It is something his camp supposedly suggested in order to give the Dodgers more long term financial flexibility.

I will be doing my part and buying an authentic jersey as soon as it goes on sale!
    Shohei Ohtani Day will still be celebrated when Bobby Bonilla Day is just a faded memory.

Thr rest of the industry will spin this as “see, there are some things Steve Cohen’s money can’t buy.” If the Mets sign Yamamoto and extend Alonso instead of giving all that money to Ohtani, then the correct spin will be “Steve’s not only richer than y’all, he’s smarter.”

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Shohei Ohtani Day will still be celebrated when Bobby Bonilla Day is just a faded memory.

Thr rest of the industry will spin this as “see, there are some things Steve Cohen’s money can’t buy.” If the Mets sign Yamamoto and extend Alonso instead of giving all that money to Ohtani, then the correct spin will be “Steve’s not only richer than y’all, he’s smarter.”
    No one’s going to be spinning anything of the sort about Cohen. The Mets didn’t even make an offer to Ohtani.