Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

2023-2024 DWBB Season

With the 1st game (exhibition) tomorrow, I think it’s time to move on from the preseason thread. So I’ll kick it off with my opinion of the team.

We’re predicted to finish 7th in the ACC after finishing 2nd (barely missing T1) last year. We're getting no love from the pollsters nationally (7 votes AP, big fat 0 from the coaches) after getting as high as 9th last year. In preseason last year the AP gave us 2 and the coaches another 0...you'd think they'd learn.

We will have a whole new look, but I think these predictions are selling us short. I think we’ll be better this year, and the following is in no way meant to denigrate any players or their contributions last year.

The problem is depth, but that is oversold. Very, very few teams go 8 or 9 players deep once conference season starts. We went 10 deep last year, which should not be expected to be our norm. This year, by “position”:

Center: Kennedy Brown should be better than last year. Centers need a point guard who can get them the ball, and Taina Mair is that player. Camilla Emsbo (14.1 PPG/10.2 RPG/1.3 APG at Yale 2 years ago) has a chance to be better than the combo of Corosdale/Heide (6.5/5.8/1.1), and will be if she is fully recovered from her injury. In fact she should push Kennedy, which is good.

Power forward: Balogun is a loss, but she was painfully inconsistent. Can freshmen Delaney Thomas and Jordan Wood fill the gap? I think this is the biggest question of the year. If not, expect to see more of Kennedy/Camilla on the court at the same time, or Jadyn Donovan here if we go small.

Small forward/wing: Taylor leaving, after saying a month earlier that she was coming back, was hugely disappointing. That said, Jadyn is an upgrade in all things but experience…which is no small thing. But there is no substitute for raw talent, and having a top-5 recruit in the fold is a huge step for this program. I expect Jadyn to be the alpha dog for this program over the next 4 years. Delaney/Jordan/Reigan Richardson will give her some rest.

Shooting guard: Expect Reigan to start here, with Ashlon Jackson breathing down her neck. And to see them both on the floor at the same time. Both should be improved, and I’m expecting an all-ACC year from Reigan and hoping for a sophomore leap from Ashlon. Am also hoping for surprises from freshman Oluchi Okananwa and contributions from Emma Koabel.

Point guard: I liked Day-Wilson’s (8.1/2.9/2.5) attitude, but I think Taina (11.1/4.7/6.6 at Boston College) is an upgrade. Look at that assist number! She should make everyone on the team better. Vanessa de Jesus would have been so important here, but she will be an extra coach on the bench. Luckily, Taina is a high usage player (36.7 MPG) and our plethora of guards should be able to spell her for 5-8 minutes a game, which apparently will be plenty of rest for her.

I think there’s a lot of proven talent at 1 through 6. Kennedy/Camilla/Jadyn/Reigan/Ashlon/Taina don’t have a lot of experience playing together, but Kara has shown she can build team chemistry quickly. The unknowns are Delaney/Jordan/Oluchi/Emma, but if we can get solid contributions from a combination of them we will be very good.

We may (may!) take a step back defensively, but should be significantly better offensively. I’d say we’re a top-4 ACC team and a Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament Team. I’m ready to find out.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Watching the team try and struggle to score last season was a frustrating experience. I was delighted to see the Duke women's team back in the national spotlight after an extended absence. I'm hoping to see the foundation for sustained success planted this year. There's lots of young talent on this team. It will be fun to see them grow.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    We’re predicted to finish 7th in the ACC after finishing 2nd (barely missing T1) last year. We're getting no love from the pollsters nationally (7 votes AP, big fat 0 from the coaches) after getting as high as 9th last year. In preseason last year the AP gave us 2 and the coaches another 0...you'd think they'd learn.
    Sorry to get in the way of your us-against-the-world approach, but the preseason Coaches Poll has Duke ranked at #19, with 152 voting points. I can't be sure, but my theory is that you looked at the Others Receiving Votes section and saw that Duke wasn't listed.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Sorry to get in the way of your us-against-the-world approach, but the preseason Coaches Poll has Duke ranked at #19, with 152 voting points. I can't be sure, but my theory is that you looked at the Others Receiving Votes section and saw that Duke wasn't listed.
    OMG, seriously? How did I miss that? You're right, I don't think I even looked after all the preseason espn articles didn't have us listed (we were dropped as soon as Taylor transferred, and bracketology (which I hate, but can't look away) has us as a last 4 bye) and the AP came out first and has us at #32 (and the coaches never (rarely? I better be careful after this flub) had us as high as the AP last year.

Thanks for the correction.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    OMG, seriously? How did I miss that? You're right, I don't think I even looked after all the preseason espn articles didn't have us listed (we were dropped as soon as Taylor transferred, and bracketology (which I hate, but can't look away) has us as a last 4 bye) and the AP came out first and has us at #32 (and the coaches never (rarely? I better be careful after this flub) had us as high as the AP last year.

Thanks for the correction.
    Well to be fair, the voting coaches probably all grimaced as they ticked a box for Duke. I'm looking forward to seeing the freshmen in action, and hoping that Donovan shows more than she did in her USA outing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well to be fair, the voting coaches probably all grimaced as they ticked a box for Duke. I'm looking forward to seeing the freshmen in action, and hoping that Donovan shows more than she did in her USA outing.
    I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly, but my view of Jadyn right now is that she is pretty close to a Celeste replacement. She's longer and more athletic than Celeste, and will be better at getting to the rim, but I think ultimately, like Celeste, it's going to be her defense that is her calling card. If she has anything like the motor Celeste had, she'll be really important to this team. But I don't expect much of an outside game from her on the offensive end at any point this year.

But hey, we haven't even had the exhibition game, yet. I'm looking forward to seeing #4 in action at 1:00 today.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly, but my view of Jadyn right now is that she is pretty close to a Celeste replacement. She's longer and more athletic than Celeste, and will be better at getting to the rim, but I think ultimately, like Celeste, it's going to be her defense that is her calling card. If she has anything like the motor Celeste had, she'll be really important to this team. But I don't expect much of an outside game from her on the offensive end at any point this year.

But hey, we haven't even had the exhibition game, yet. I'm looking forward to seeing #4 in action at 1:00 today.
    We're counting on you for the report since it's only available on radio. My worry stems from her being so hyped, then essentially being a place holder during team USA games this summer. The latter fact doesn't get my optimism revved up like I would expect from a McDonalds AA with the #3 recruiting ranking.
    I'm not talking about minor minutes in games, I'm talking about flat out DNP-Coach's decision sit outs. (And the only one on the team, at that.)

She did play of course, but she had the second least amount of minutes for the whole team.
    https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u1.../2023/team/USA
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Starting lineup for the exhibition against Wingate:
    Donovan, Mair, Jackson, Richardson and Brown.

9-0 to start, and a Wingate TO.

Baskets by Donovan posting up the shorter guard, the she slashes to the basket hit with a pass from Jackson from almost mid court, a Richardson three and Jackson on a give and go to Brown. Oh, and a nice block by Donovan. Very nice start.

32-7 after one quarter.

Some early notes…Emsbo is good near the basket (her height obviously helps against a D2 team, but looks smooth.

Our guards have good height, so we’re posting them up inside.

Number 5, double O (I will learn how to spell her name) comes in, gets two quick steals and forces a turnover.

Emma was the first sub off the bench. Wood comes in, but a couple of quick fouls/mistakes goes out ear,Kershaw than planned. And she is thin! Thomas is the last player off the bench, a nice run to the basket, but two fouls and she sits.

50-15. We are 3=-7 for three.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    50-15. We are 3=-7 for three.
    Make that 4 for 8 as Jackson hits one at the buzzer for a 55-15 halftime lead.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Make that 4 for 8 as Jackson hits one at the buzzer for a 55-15 halftime lead.
    Thanks for the updates. Richardson has 15 and has not missed, including 2 threes.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

106-33 is your final.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Takeaways:

First and foremost, there can't be too many takeaways when the opponent is that far over-matched. We were bigger, stronger, and faster at every single position, even off the bench. So, there are limited lessons to be learned. But, among the lessons:

We're still going to be defined by our defense. Our ball pressure was relentless and came from everyone, and often started the moment the ball changed hands. The passing lanes were full of Blue Devils pretty much at all times. Jadyn Donovan comes to play, and on the defensive end, especially. Her hands are lightning quick, and she is an aggressive rebounder. With the exception of returning player Emma Koabel, everyone seems to know where to be on the defensive side of the ball. It did help that we were significantly faster, and that did erase some of the few mistakes we did make. But overall, this is a very good defensive team. I don't think we'll be quite up to last year's standards, but that's hardly a surprise. We'll be significantly above average on defense, however. A notable improved player on the defensive end, BTW, was Ashlon Jackson. She seemed to have a much better awareness of where to be when, and how to harass a ball-handler without picking up a foul.

Going the other way, Reigan Richardson seems to have made some strides. She very quietly scored 17 points on 7-8 (2-2) shooting. If her efficiency is anything approaching that when the competition gets real, that's really good news. Now granted, her shots today did not face a lot of pressure. But she looked comfortable and smooth and was just selective enough for me to think she may have taken an important step forward. Kennedy Brown's finishing, on the other hand, looked to have regressed from the open practice. I had hopes for greater strength from her, but she didn't make a lot of post moves, and she didn't really finish strong through contact. She'll score some, but her main contributions look to still be on the defensive end. On the other hand, our other pure post isn't nearly the defender that Kennedy is, but is a very good finisher on the offensive end. Ken and Cam are going to be a good, complementary 1-2 punch. Jordan Wood still looks to have a nice stroke, but doesn't seem to have caught up with the speed of the college game, yet, and hesitates when she shouldn't. She passed up an open look today and I thought Kara was going to burst a gasket. Neither Delany Thomas nor Jadyn Donovan can shoot much out past six feet or so, but unlike Thomas, Jadyn Donovan was able to get to the rim almost at will. She really has some good moves, and is an excellent finisher through contact. She's going to get her points, and if she develops a pull-up game, look out.

Overall, a better team than last year on offense and a worse team on defense, but still a team with a defensive identity. It's not clear yet how much better or how much worse we will really be on each end. We won't know until we get a few real games under our belts. But there's a decent chance that this team is a bit better than the pundits might think it is.

Takeaways:

First and foremost, there can't be too many takeaways when the opponent is that far over-matched. We were bigger, stronger, and faster at every single position, even off the bench. So, there are limited lessons to be learned. But, among the lessons:

We're still going to be defined by our defense. Our ball pressure was relentless and came from everyone, and often started the moment the ball changed hands. The passing lanes were full of Blue Devils pretty much at all times. Jadyn Donovan comes to play, and on the defensive end, especially. Her hands are lightning quick, and she is an aggressive rebounder. With the exception of returning player Emma Koabel, everyone seems to know where to be on the defensive side of the ball. It did help that we were significantly faster, and that did erase some of the few mistakes we did make. But overall, this is a very good defensive team. I don't think we'll be quite up to last year's standards, but that's hardly a surprise. We'll be significantly above average on defense, however. A notable improved player on the defensive end, BTW, was Ashlon Jackson. She seemed to have a much better awareness of where to be when, and how to harass a ball-handler without picking up a foul.

Going the other way, Reigan Richardson seems to have made some strides. She very quietly scored 17 points on 7-8 (2-2) shooting. If her efficiency is anything approaching that when the competition gets real, that's really good news. Now granted, her shots today did not face a lot of pressure. But she looked comfortable and smooth and was just selective enough for me to think she may have taken an important step forward. Kennedy Brown's finishing, on the other hand, looked to have regressed from the open practice. I had hopes for greater strength from her, but she didn't make a lot of post moves, and she didn't really finish strong through contact. She'll score some, but her main contributions look to still be on the defensive end. On the other hand, our other pure post isn't nearly the defender that Kennedy is, but is a very good finisher on the offensive end. Ken and Cam are going to be a good, complementary 1-2 punch. Jordan Wood still looks to have a nice stroke, but doesn't seem to have caught up with the speed of the college game, yet, and hesitates when she shouldn't. She passed up an open look today and I thought Kara was going to burst a gasket. Neither Delany Thomas nor Jadyn Donovan can shoot much out past six feet or so, but unlike Thomas, Jadyn Donovan was able to get to the rim almost at will. She really has some good moves, and is an excellent finisher through contact. She's going to get her points, and if she develops a pull-up game, look out.

Overall, a better team than last year on offense and a worse team on defense, but still a team with a defensive identity. It's not clear yet how much better or how much worse we will really be on each end. We won't know until we get a few real games under our belts. But there's a decent chance that this team is a bit better than the pundits might think it is.
    Thanks very much for the on site wrap up. Sporks your way.

Ari Roberson was at the exhibition game on an unofficial visit. Looks like a good sign...

Takeaways:

Can’t spork you, but just wanted to say thanks for this great summary. I couldn’t make the game this weekend, but you’ve got me feeling optimistic and looking forward to the rest of the season.

I doubt I'll do this for every game, but here are some articles about Richmond, Duke's opponent in their season opener (Monday, 11am ET, ACCNX, Live Stats).

RichmondSpiders.com: WBB Game Notes: Spiders Open 2023-24 Season at Duke Monday Morning (PDF)

Duke enters the game with a 7-1 advantage over the Spiders. This year, Richmond will look for redemption as the Blue Devils posted a 100-49 win inside the Robins Center in 2022-23. In the game, Rachel Ullstrom paced the team with 11 points while Grace Townsend had a team-high four assists. The Blue Devils out-rebounded the Spiders 50-22 and was the first meeting between the two teams since 1996-97. Richmond recorded its only win versus Duke during the 1988-89 season, where the Spiders picked up a 87-70 win at home (1/31/89).
    The Spiders are coming off a successful season in 2022-23 as the Spiders ended the year with a 21-11 overall record, an 8-6 mark in Atlantic
    10 conference play and secured a spot in the A-10 Championship semifinals for the first time since 2008-09, as well as a home WNIT bid for the first time since 2014-15.
    RichmondSpiders.com: Spiders Picked Fourth in A-10 WBB Preseason Poll; Budnik and Doogan Named to Preseason All-Atlantic 10 Teams

[6-2 senior forward Addie] Budnik, with the Preseason First-Team selection, is coming off a stellar junior campaign in 2022-23 as she was the team's leading scorer, averaging 14 ppg and collecting 5.5 rebounds per game. She became the 27th Spider to eclipse the 1,000-point milestone last season as well as being named to the VaSID Academic All-State Team, A-10 All-Academic Team, A-10 All-Conference Second Team and to the A-10 All-Championship Team.
    [6-2 sophomore forward Maggie] Doogan received Second-Team honors as the sophomore was the second-leading scorer last season, averaging 11.5 ppg and led the team in rebounds averaging six boards per contest. In addition, she ended 2022-23 with A-10 All-Rookie team accolades as well as an A-10 All-Conference Third team selection and was named A-10 Rookie of the Week twice (1/23/23, 1/30/23) during the season.
    The Collegian: OPINION: Now is the time for Spiders women’s basketball

For three straight years, the team has had more wins in each of its subsequent seasons. And after last year, with two games on a more national stage under the program’s belt, the Spiders can only improve.
    Head Coach Aaron Roussell is entering his fifth year with the program and will look to improve upon the team’s all-time record under his leadership, which currently sits at 377-173.

With weapons on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, veteran leadership and the perfect balance between newcomers and returners, I believe the team has the perfect concoction of what an A-10 college program needs to have to win.
    Fun fact: Former Villanova and Syracuse player Cole Swider, now in the NBA on a two-way contract with the Miami Heat, has a sister on the Richmond roster. Courtney Swider (bio) is a 6-4 freshman forward for the Spiders. Their sister Kylie is a 6-4 senior forward/center at Villanova, and their parents played college hoops as well.

The Olympic Team beat Tennessee 95-59 tonight. We'll see how we measure up in a week.