Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    i gotta disagree about the court, in fact i find all of the in-season tounament courts repulsive.
    I used the term ďmind-blowingĒ. Thatís not necessarily a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Anybody else watching the Boston at Indiana in-season tournament quarterfinal game? First of all, the court is visually mind blowing. Second, this is an intense, exciting game.

Celtics lead 36-35. Highly recommend you check it out.
    I love the IST (thatís what the cool kids are calling it). $50k per player per game to make it this far is just enough to get the playersí competitive juices going and amp up the intensity of the games. Intensity that is typically lacking in November and December.

And as much as it pains me to say, Kenny Smith made an astute comment that for many of these less experienced teams the IST gives them practice in higher pressure games that could translate into better performances in the real playoffs.

P.S. I love watching full-speed Zion so much. He had about 8 minutes of full Zion-mode in this game against the Kings and it was a beauty to behold. I really hope he can get to 20-30 minutes of that level again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I love the IST (thatís what the cool kids are calling it). $50k per player per game to make it this far is just enough to get the playersí competitive juices going and amp up the intensity of the games. Intensity that is typically lacking in November and December.

And as much as it pains me to say, Kenny Smith made an astute comment that for many of these less experienced teams the IST gives them practice in higher pressure games that could translate into better performances in the real playoffs.

P.S. I love watching full-speed Zion so much. He had about 8 minutes of full Zion-mode in this game against the Kings and it was a beauty to behold. I really hope he can get to 20-30 minutes of that level again.
    I see that Zion only took 8 shots while every other starter took considerably more (Brandon Ingram took 20). Do you know of any particular reason why he didnít shoot very much?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I see that Zion only took 8 shots while every other starter took considerably more (Brandon Ingram took 20). Do you know of any particular reason why he didnít shoot very much?
    1) He only played 27 minutes, fewest of any starter. It really seemed like NO was carefully managing his minutes, giving him long stretches of rest (ie he only came back in the game with 2 minutes left in each half, vs other starters that typically come back in with 6 or 8 minutes left).
    2) He seemed to be the main focus of the defense - every time he faced up the Kings put a help defender in the lane, and on every drive or post catch they doubled him. Zion is a willing passer with a high basketball IQ, so he was very good passing out of the doubles, netting 6 assists, several "hockey assists" and several "would be" assists where the player he passed to was fouled.

Overall Zion played well, but to me he still does not look like "Duke Zion". He RARELY exerts himself on defense or rebounding, and spends mostly of his time on that end just standing in the lane and spectating. There was one play in particular that stound out, where Fox crossed him and went in for a layup that Duke Zion would have turned and pinned on the glass, but NBA Zion just let him go. Not sure if that is him coming back from injury and working into form, conditioning, or lack of motivation, but it would unlock another gear for the Pelicans if Zion could go hard at both ends for 35 minutes a night.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Overall Zion played well, but to me he still does not look like "Duke Zion". He RARELY exerts himself on defense or rebounding, and spends mostly of his time on that end just standing in the lane and spectating. There was one play in particular that stound out, where Fox crossed him and went in for a layup that Duke Zion would have turned and pinned on the glass, but NBA Zion just let him go. Not sure if that is him coming back from injury and working into form, conditioning, or lack of motivation, but it would unlock another gear for the Pelicans if Zion could go hard at both ends for 35 minutes a night.
    This is such an accurate depiction of Zion's play. I really wish it wasn't but it's just spot on. He let Fox lay the ball up right in front of him on the first play of the game. He came over to help and I thought he might go up and put the ball in the 3rd row and he just stopped and let him pass. Zion can score almost at will with the ball in his hands but he is not an active, engaged player when the ball is not in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    This is such an accurate depiction of Zion's play. I really wish it wasn't but it's just spot on. He let Fox lay the ball up right in front of him on the first play of the game. He came over to help and I thought he might go up and put the ball in the 3rd row and he just stopped and let him pass. Zion can score almost at will with the ball in his hands but he is not an active, engaged player when the ball is not in his hands.
    I think it's important to note that given his injury history, and given his minutes at the moment, he may be coached to "take it easy" in certain situations. Think of it as a form of load management, of sorts. I suspect that, were New Orleans to make the playoffs or be in high leverage games, his engagement may be different.

Although I also need to be cautious in defending a player who has made some odd choices in his early professional career.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I think it's important to note that given his injury history, and given his minutes at the moment, he may be coached to "take it easy" in certain situations. Think of it as a form of load management, of sorts. I suspect that, were New Orleans to make the playoffs or be in high leverage games, his engagement may be different.

Although I also need to be cautious in defending a player who has made some odd choices in his early professional career.

- Chillin
    I think that's definitely what we are seeing when Zion kind of takes it easy on defense. I'm pretty confident the staff have told him he can't go for every block and such. We know from his time at Duke he can be a great defender, but it seems obvious to me he's not exerting himself on defense now. Perhaps if he gets through this entire season injury free he'll pick it up during the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I think that's definitely what we are seeing when Zion kind of takes it easy on defense. I'm pretty confident the staff have told him he can't go for every block and such. We know from his time at Duke he can be a great defender, but it seems obvious to me he's not exerting himself on defense now. Perhaps if he gets through this entire season injury free he'll pick it up during the playoffs.
    To be fair to Zion (as I was the one who started the critique of his defensive effort), he does put forth effort and does a good job guarding his man. He wouldn't let Sabonis back him down last night for instance, so it's not like NO is having to play 5 on 4. Where is shows up is in help defense and rebounding, where there are plays that we know Zion can make because we saw him make them at Duke, but he does not attempt them in the NBA. Hopefully you are right that he is ramping back to full go. A fully unleashed Zion in the playoffs would be a amazing to see!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    If that's the case I don't understand why they would do that last night. It seems like the IST is perfect for a team like the Pelicans, who don't have much recent playoff experience but still expect to make noise in the postseason. This is a high-pressure dress rehearsal, I hope they try out the playoff rotations in Vegas
    Trinity '09

1) He only played 27 minutes, fewest of any starter. It really seemed like NO was carefully managing his minutes, giving him long stretches of rest (ie he only came back in the game with 2 minutes left in each half, vs other starters that typically come back in with 6 or 8 minutes left).
    2) He seemed to be the main focus of the defense - every time he faced up the Kings put a help defender in the lane, and on every drive or post catch they doubled him. Zion is a willing passer with a high basketball IQ, so he was very good passing out of the doubles, netting 6 assists, several "hockey assists" and several "would be" assists where the player he passed to was fouled.

I think he's also coming off his first back to back (12/1 and 12/2). Yesterday was his third game in four days. It might not be hard minutes restriction but they do seem to be managing his time.

To be fair to Zion (as I was the one who started the critique of his defensive effort), he does put forth effort and does a good job guarding his man. He wouldn't let Sabonis back him down last night for instance, so it's not like NO is having to play 5 on 4. Where is shows up is in help defense and rebounding, where there are plays that we know Zion can make because we saw him make them at Duke, but he does not attempt them in the NBA. Hopefully you are right that he is ramping back to full go. A fully unleashed Zion in the playoffs would be a amazing to see!
    Agree. I'll add that there were times where he was going more "full speed" on D, playing aggressive help and recovery on pick and rolls and some nice court awareness where he'd help but not lose his man. His lack of aggression on the boards is mind boggling to me. With his size and strength (and general IQ/awareness) he should easily get 5+ more rebounds a game. As you said, he kind of drifts into the lane and doesn't seem to really go for it.

And even with what looks like some loafing, he just changes the gravity on the court. It's in a different way than Steph, but still obvious even to the untrained eye (me)

I know there are lots of Lebron haters around her but I just canít believe at his age how he continues to be incredibly productive, plays so much and has athleticism that still keeps him in the upper tiers of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I know there are lots of Lebron haters around her but I just canít believe at his age how he continues to be incredibly productive, plays so much and has athleticism that still keeps him in the upper tiers of the league.
    Yep. He's the Tom Brady of the NBA.

The clock is ticking to see how quick someone will blow me up for that comparison.

I'm not a fan of LeBron's on the court (that doesn't mean I don't think he's great, he is) but he played fantastic last night. He really made Zion look apathetic. Couple that with his great remarks about our ridiculous issue the night before and he's had a great week.

Yep. He's the Tom Brady of the NBA.

The clock is ticking to see how quick someone will blow me up for that comparison.
    Are you accusing Lebron of deflating basketballs?

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Are you accusing Lebron of deflating basketballs?
    No, I think Southern is accusing LeBron James of having gotten fake hair like Tom Brady did. It’s blatantly obvious. And that’s okay.

To me it’s no different than women wearing makeup. It’s just hair makeup.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...hairline-fixed

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/l...elps-out-video

https://esthetichairmexico.com/blog/...ir-transplant/

But will LeBron play until he's 45?

But will LeBron play until he's 45?
    He is about to turn 39 (still waiting for my invite to the party). Unlike Brady, he started playing professionally at 18.

I think he is greatly respected now but will be even more so after he is done. We should all appreciate the opportunity to see him play.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He is about to turn 39 (still waiting for my invite to the party). Unlike Brady, he started playing professionally at 18.

I think he is greatly respected now but will be even more so after he is done. We should all appreciate the opportunity to see him play.
    All kidding aside, I completely agree. LeBron is absolutely incredible! One of the greatest, if not the greatest, to ever play the game.

New debate. How do in season tournament titles get weighted against championships? Lebron just won the first ever in season title.

Discuss.