Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I trust you got this info to Gregg Popovich before he chose Victor Wembanyama as the first pick in the draft? So if this goes badly it’s on Pop for being stubborn and not listening.

Oh, and I had no idea — before today — that a high ankle sprain is the death knell for an NBA career. Who knew? ����
    I think Robert Swift is a little too pessimistic, but I agree that Wembanyama' joints is not likely to hold up well long term in a 100 game per year (if you include pre+regular+post season) and the physical nature of the NBA .

I see him as a modern day Ralph Sampson. Who was also 7'4" with incredible agility for someone of that height in his day.

Sampson played 243 regular season games in his first 3 seasons in the NBA, and then his body broke down as he played parts of another 7 seasons in the NBA where he played a total of just 213 games in those 7 season combined, averaging just 30 games per season, until he retired.

I think with modern sports medicine and lode management they should be able to stretch his career beyond what Sampson went through. But I'm not ready to declare him an HOFer just yet, mainly due to health concerns.

That said, Sampson is actually in the basketball hall of game, although in large part de to him being a 3 times Naismith winner in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think Robert Swift is a little too pessimistic, but I agree that Wembanyama' joints is not likely to hold up well long term in a 100 game per year (if you include pre+regular+post season) and the physical nature of the NBA .

I see him as a modern day Ralph Sampson. Who was also 7'4" with incredible agility for someone of that height in his day.

Sampson played 243 regular season games in his first 3 seasons in the NBA, and then his body broke down as he played parts of another 7 seasons in the NBA where he played a total of just 213 games in those 7 season combined, averaging just 30 games per season, until he retired.

I think with modern sports medicine and lode management they should be able to stretch his career beyond what Sampson went through. But I'm not ready to declare him an HOFer just yet, mainly due to health concerns.

That said, Sampson is actually in the basketball hall of game, although in large part de to him being a 3 times Naismith winner in college.
    So, the ideal frame is something between Robert Swift and Zion...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Wemby is 3 to 4 inches taller and yet Lively is 20 pounds heavier. I think the jab was mostly aimed at super tall guards, which Lively does not pretend to be.
    Are you talking about my post? I wouldn't call it a jab, necessarily. I genuinely believe this guy is not going to end up being very good. No All NBA Teams, etc.

He is being talked about as a generational player. I think he's a huge injury risk and will probably end up like Oden, Swift, Bender, etc.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I trust you got this info to Gregg Popovich before he chose Victor Wembanyama as the first pick in the draft? So if this goes badly it’s on Pop for being stubborn and not listening.

Oh, and I had no idea — before today — that a high ankle sprain is the death knell for an NBA career. Who knew? 🤷😉
    Ha! Yah he went dark side for sure with the ankle sprain. Ankle sprain — we talking ankle sprain?!! Wemby is actually tough and tough minded. He wants the ball and wants to win. And to your point — Coach Pop knows a thing or two. His last two #1 picks won championships and they were MVPs. Wemby might be a wee more slight than The Admiral and Timmy — but they also had a couple naysayers bagging on their physicality when they started out in the NBA. Timmy was shy and the Admiral was “too nice.” Yeah right.

Unlike Sampson, Wemby is going to be thrown into the fire. Instead of four 30 game seasons in the ACC from age 18-22, Wemby is going right into an 82 game season, going up against the likes of Draymond Green, Patrick Beverly, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Unlike Sampson, Wemby is going to be thrown into the fire. Instead of four 30 game seasons in the ACC from age 18-22, Wemby is going right into an 82 game season, going up against the likes of Draymond Green, Patrick Beverly, etc.
    I’m curious about Wemby’s game load before the NBA. I haven’t seen him play yet — just read about him — so I don’t know how much he played over the past few years, and against what kind of physicality.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m curious about Wemby’s game load before the NBA. I haven’t seen him play yet — just read about him — so I don’t know how much he played over the past few years, and against what kind of physicality.
    Dont forget Chris Paul who would finally meet the perfect guy to head-butt in the family jewels. Or in France, I believe it is called Coq Royale…

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/v...-expectations/

"...in the French domestic schedule teams typically play once per week, sometimes twice. In the NBA, that's going to be bumped up to three or four games per week, occasionally five games in seven nights. Load management is surely in Wembanyama's future, which could affect his overall impact."

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Or in France, I believe it is called Coq Royale…
    Is that similar to a Royale with cheese?

Exactly what I was referencing - thank you for getting it!

Is that the movie with the briefcase with the Egg McGuffin?

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Exactly what I was referencing - thank you for getting it!
    All-time classic 🍿

BTW, how great was Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction? My god, he was a revelation.

Uh oh, I’d better be careful in referencing the Book of Revelation around that dude. I do NOT want to get on his bad side — “Say ‘what’ again! I dare you. I DOUBLE dare you, mfer!”

With proper lode management they can certainly mine their talent for all its worth, and really strike it rich when they hit the right vein of talent.

Are you talking about my post? I wouldn't call it a jab, necessarily. I genuinely believe this guy is not going to end up being very good. No All NBA Teams, etc.
    He is being talked about as a generational player. I think he's a huge injury risk and will probably end up like Oden, Swift, Bender, etc.
    yeah, jab probably wasn't the right word. On a different note, I hope that these enormous expectations people are putting on him don't weigh him down. Like you said, injuries may very well alter his career, and that won't be a damn bit of a reflection on Wemby's ability to play his best.

My understanding from various NBA podcasts is that the Spurs are really treating this as "roll the ball out and see what happens" season, and they don't expect or even want Wemby to turn into an All-Star right away. I believe that the reason fanduel has him at "only" -150 to win rookie of the year reflects the concern that he'll be far below the threshold of 70 games to qualify. FWIW, Zion was -450 for ROY before his first season.
    Trinity '09

I'm not sure why Robert Swift was even cited as an example to which to compare Wemby. Swift bombed out of the NBA because he had significant mental illness and was a major drug addict. Not because of his physique. I think he weighted 240-250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Kind of weird to watch Lively highlights and have all but one play be on offense.
    I watched this game last night and it was enormously entertaining. JJ and the other announcers noted pretty early that Lively should definitely be the starting center. The fact that he gets to play with someone like Luka is a huge plus for his potential contribution on offense. And we already know he's a plus contributor on defense coming in. I look forward to watching many more Mavs games in the future, despite the ball-stopping play of Kyrie.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Just 2 games on the Thursday night slate: Sixers-Bucks and Suns-Lakers, a TNT doubleheader beginning shortly. We could see Marques Bolden (Bucks), Grayson Allen (Suns), and Cam Reddish (Lakers) in action. Some pregame press for Allen:

Gerald Bourguet @GeraldBourguet

With Booker and Beal out, Grayson Allen and Eric Gordon will have a pretty great opportunity to bounce back from rough shooting nights on Tuesday

1:23 PM · Oct 26, 2023
    Duane Rankin @DuaneRankin

"This is a guy that's used to playing with superstars."

@ReggieMillerTNT on who'll be 5th guy on floor in close games with Devin Booker, Kevin Durant, Bradley Beal and Jusuf Nurkic.

Called Grayson Allen "sneaky" pickup.

"I like his nastiness and he doesn't back down." #Suns

[Embedded audio clip. Click link below.]

3:31 PM · Oct 22, 2023
    GoPHNX.com: Grayson Allen may not start, but he could be Suns' fifth closer and Sixth Man of the Year candidate

Shooting helps any NBA lineup, and pairing Grayson Allen’s elite floor-spacing with a group that includes Booker, Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal would be downright unfair. The Suns’ interchangeable Big 3 will already be unstoppable, but Allen’s shooting and Jusuf Nurkic’s passing would be next-level fits.

“When he gets the opportunity to play with myself, Book and Brad, I think the floor opens up even more for him, and we could play off him a little bit more as well,” Durant explained. “He’s just a guy that can fit in. You see how many teams he’s played on and how well he’s played at each stop, so we’re expecting him to have a solid year this year.”
    SI/FanNation/Inside the Suns: How Grayson Allen Makes The Phoenix Suns Better

He figures to be a key cog in the Suns' rotation all season, especially throughout the playoffs. Allen's shooting ability, sneaky athleticism/ability to pressure the rim, and tenacious defensive effort are key reasons why the Suns were so high on the prospects of acquiring his services.

“Those guys are capable ball handlers, Grayson (Allen) in particular, showing me something offensively, especially when those guys [Durant, Beal, Booker] are out, he can really carry the load for us," said Suns head coach Frank Vogel earlier in the preseason.
    Sports360AZ interview about adjusting to Phoenix:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Just 2 games on the Thursday night slate: Sixers-Bucks and Suns-Lakers, a TNT doubleheader beginning shortly. We could see Marques Bolden (Bucks), Grayson Allen (Suns), and Cam Reddish (Lakers) in action. Some pregame press for Allen:

GoPHNX.com: Grayson Allen may not start, but he could be Suns' fifth closer and Sixth Man of the Year candidate

May be just the nature of his high and tight hairdo but Grayson looks a bit like a silver fox. Hard to believe he’s starting his 6th year. Milwaukee to Phoenix is about as much of a change in climate as you can have in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Guess he’s been too busy working out with his new team and making a good impression to find a decent barber. Priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'm not sure why Robert Swift was even cited as an example to which to compare Wemby. Swift bombed out of the NBA because he had significant mental illness and was a major drug addict. Not because of his physique. I think he weighted 240-250 lbs.
    No. That is wrong.

Swift had two serious knee injuries back-to-back. As soon as his ACL recovered, he tore his lateral meniscus. Then he had back problems, a broken hand and was out of the league. It was then that he became a heroine addict. I don't think he had any documented significant mental illness.

Mental illness (which you just added b/c it sounds good, I guess) and drugs did not keep him from having a career. He had a terrible run of injuries.