Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    I would have predicted Winslow would be at the top of this list, crazy. I'll always wonder if he had gone to the Celtics (who apparently were very high on him) if his career would have turned out differently.
    Same. IIRC, in addition to injuries, he has some off the court issues that didn’t help. Those tend to follow no matter where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I haven't seen any negativity towards Grayson since he arrived in Phoenix. Maybe it is time we all move on.
    Certainly not from the Suns or their fan base

https://dukewire.usatoday.com/2024/0...-hustle-award/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I haven't seen any negativity towards Grayson since he arrived in Phoenix. Maybe it is time we all move on.
    Move on? Lol, that’s a lovely sentiment 🌈 but this stuff has been going for at least 35 years and continues to this very day, as evidenced by MANY hateful comments directed towards Kyle Filipowski on IC this very week.

This is not about Grayson as an individual. It’s much bigger than that, as Cooper Flagg is already finding out. It is what it is, and there’s not a darn thing any of us can do about it.

The only thing that might — MIGHT — save the Pelicans tomorrow night at home against Davis, James, and the rest of the dreaded Lakers is if Zion has a tremendous game on both ends, and if New Orleans plays great defense overall.

If not, they will surely be toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The only thing that might — MIGHT — save the Pelicans tomorrow night at home against Davis, James, and the rest of the dreaded Lakers is if Zion has a tremendous game on both ends, and if New Orleans plays great defense overall.

If not, they will surely be toast.
    having Ingram back surely is a boost, and he played pretty well in his 1st game back. Zion otoh, had a horrid game shooting the ball in that game, but did have 8&8 r&a...

Tyus update

Tyus is a free agent, but it sounds like he'd be happy to stay in DC. Gift link: https://wapo.st/3xyWaY9

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064642305700

Some of y’all will not agree with this graphic. You know why.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064642305700

Some of y’all will not agree with this graphic. You know why.
    I have zero problem with the graphic. If you are referencing the Hawks player, I'm on board at this point. He's played too well this season to not embrace him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I have zero problem with the graphic. If you are referencing the Hawks player, I'm on board at this point. He's played too well this season to not embrace him.
    He played more games at Duke than Kyrie did. I know, I know, “he quit”. Y’all seriously think Kyrie didn’t sit out games he could have played? He was in the dang layup line with the team.

They’re both Dukies. And both are exceptionally talented.

So if he sucked this year we should continue to ignore him, but because hes playing well, he’s suddenly a Dukie? Interesting barometer.

He quit. Period. He’s less of a Dukie to me than Rasheed Sulaimon, who at least stuck around campus and cheered for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Same. IIRC, in addition to injuries, he has some off the court issues that didn’t help. Those tend to follow no matter where you are.

Winslow? To what are you referring, I have never heard a peep of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    So if he sucked this year we should continue to ignore him, but because hes playing well, he’s suddenly a Dukie? Interesting barometer.

He quit. Period. He’s less of a Dukie to me than Rasheed Sulaimon, who at least stuck around campus and cheered for them.
    I put Sulaimon several rings below Jalen Johnson. He made terrible choices.

I've softened on Johnson. He was an 18 year old kid trying to do the best in very odd times (COVID, freshman year, etc).

I don't care how well he played this season, that's no reason to embrace him. He quit on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    He played more games at Duke than Kyrie did. I know, I know, “he quit”. Y’all seriously think Kyrie didn’t sit out games he could have played? He was in the dang layup line with the team.

They’re both Dukies. And both are exceptionally talented.
    Jalen is a guy who bailed out of the brotherhood and it doesn't matter if he's talented. Kyrie came back and played when he was ready and was a fantastic teammate while injured.

This won't change. He'll always be a guy who quit on his team and opted out of being part of the program. Fu I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this ck him and the horse he rode out on...

We're gonna do this again? Mods needs to step in at some point.

Covid year was bizarre. Yes he quit, but I am sure Quin Snyder appreciates him and minority owner Grant Hill. He is a talented NBA forward.

That's enough of the Jalen Johnson back and forth. We've already hashed it out ad nauseam.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    That's enough of the Jalen Johnson back and forth. We've already hashed it out ad nauseam.
    My prediction is that his Dukeworthiness will be debated until he retires. Buckle up mate!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Grayson and Tyus in a race to see who will earn the most money from the 2015 team. Current standings --
    1. Tyus Jones - $61.4 mil, free agent this summer likely to sign a contract in the $12-16 mil/season range
    2. Justise Winslow - $44.5 mil, currently in the G-League and it seems possible his NBA career may be close to over
    3. Grayson Allen - $28.3 mil, signed a 4-year $70 mil extension that begins next season
    4. Jahlil Okafor - $21.5 mil, not currently on a NBA roster
    5. Quinn Cook - $6.6 mil, not currently on a NBA roster
    6. Amile Jefferson - $1.5 mil, coaching with Celtics, no longer a professional basketball player
    Man. That roster would make a great college basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Winslow? To what are you referring, I have never heard a peep of that.
    https://hoopshype.com/2023/01/20/justise-winslow-says-he-once-became-an-energy-vampire/#

Couple stories out there about this period in his life. I believe/hope he’s in a much better place.

I posted a few updates on Jalen Johnson in the past. I quit because I got tired of the tiresome negative responses, flames, etc (even when linking directly to a post from the Duke Men's basketball account). I didn't love the way he left Duke (and hate the blemish it put on one of K's last seasons). But he was a young man (I want to say kid, but know that will draw someone's ire) and many, many people struggled during the COVID lockdown period. Since Duke's own social media team tweets about him regularly, and refers to him as part of "The Brotherhood", it seems strange for others to argue, as I was admonished with a PM "Jalen Johnson should not be included when talking about Duke - He quit". I'm glad Johnson is doing well, and if his link to Duke can bring them any benefits great - maybe he will help the team more as an ex-blue devil than when he was here. But since he did come up again, I want to post a couple of things for context.

This is from an article in The Athletic (before Johnson left the team)

The Athletic previously detailed Duke’s COVID-19 protocols when the team canceled the remainder of its nonconference schedule in mid-December, but some of those details bear repeating. Since Aug. 1, the day Duke players arrived on campus, they’ve been sequestered in the Washington Duke Inn or the on-campus basketball facility. Nowhere else. No driving to get food together, no exploring campus or meeting non-athlete peers. Heck, not even the opportunity to congregate in one dorm room or common area to play video games and crack jokes.

There’s no way that semi-isolation wouldn’t have a detrimental impact. It means half of the players basically lost out on their chance to get to know one another — and to know the returnees. Between the mental fatigue of being so cooped up and the abbreviated practice time to adhere to COVID-19 protocols, the pandemic has certainly exacerbated Duke’s youth.

“It’s hard to be critical of play when you think, this guy hasn’t been out of his pen in four months,’’ Bilas says.

This is from another article

His whole family, “The Johnson Five,” as Rod and Stacy proudly claim, reconvened at home, while lockdowns persisted and the Blue Devils delayed and delayed the starting date for incoming recruits. June bled into July, and then Johnson tested positive for the virus. He was the last player to arrive in Durham for that 2020-21 season. “It was just off from get-go,” Stacy said.

There was little leeway for balance. He went to practice and went back to the hotel. He went to play and went back to the hotel. Everything always led back to that hotel. Johnson began counting down the days until the season was complete, stirring restless inside his washed-out room. He’d wake in the middle of the night, still trapped in the same repetition. The darkness began to swallow him. For the first time, he sought the counsel of a therapist. “I talked to somebody. Because you need it,” Jalen said. “You need somebody, an unbiased voice sometimes just to be able to talk things through.”

Stacy packed for Durham that second semester, sacrificing being home for the final weeks of Kobe’s senior year. She found an apartment near campus, still unable to attend home games, but regrouped each day with her son to provide guidance and emotional support. What came next wasn’t overnight. Little by little, conversation after conversation, it made clearest sense to the family for Johnson to remove himself from school and refocus on the draft process that lay ahead. “That’s when I tapped into my mental side and understanding how important that was,” Jalen said. “Because I’d have games where I’d have a great stat line, we’d win, but then it was like …” He nodded quietly. “That was a changing point.”

Johnson had a setback that made his time more difficult

Johnson missed roughly a month with a foot injury earlier in the season, and he had some peaks and valleys from a performance standpoint when healthy. He has been nearly absent from the team’s rotation as of late.

Then there was the intense scrutiny around Duke's performance in general (and Johnson's specifically) that led to the Athletic article.

This is from Steve Wiseman when Johnson left the team

"[Withdrawing] ahead of the school’s March 24 deadline for undergraduates allowed Johnson to leave school with a W, or withdrawn, on his academic record rather than an F. That means Johnson, having completed his course work in the fall semester, is leaving Duke in good academic standing and will not hurt the program’s Academic Progress Rate score with the NCAA.

"... As is the case with all players, Johnson will continue to have access to Duke’s medical staff, both physical and behavioral health services, until he signs with an agent."

There seems to be ample reason to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt regarding his departure from Duke. He has largely stayed quiet about his time here, and hasn't (that I'm aware of) made comments that would hurt the program. Unless that changes, I will continue to wish him the best. Others seem similarly inclined and do seem interested in following his career. Its unfortunate that any post regarding Johnson is inevitably met with the same negative comments.