Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Zion dropped 40 on Lebron and LAL in a losing effort on 17-27 shooting (63%), and the late-season slump brought on by Ingram's injury really cost them as they are now done for the season. Ingram had a below-average game. LAL built an 18-pt lead that NOLA managed to entirely erase with ~3 minutes to play, but then Zion left the game due to a minor injury of some sort (minor in that he walked off under his own power visibly upset).
    Great season from Zion, who hopefully shut all (most?) of the haters up.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I posted a few updates on Jalen Johnson in the past. I quit because I got tired of the tiresome negative responses, flames, etc (even when linking directly to a post from the Duke Men's basketball account). I didn't love the way he left Duke (and hate the blemish it put on one of K's last seasons). But he was a young man (I want to say kid, but know that will draw someone's ire) and many, many people struggled during the COVID lockdown period. Since Duke's own social media team tweets about him regularly, and refers to him as part of "The Brotherhood", it seems strange for others to argue, as I was admonished with a PM "Jalen Johnson should not be included when talking about Duke - He quit". I'm glad Johnson is doing well, and if his link to Duke can bring them any benefits great - maybe he will help the team more as an ex-blue devil than when he was here. But since he did come up again, I want to post a couple of things for context.

This is from an article in The Athletic (before Johnson left the team)

The Athletic previously detailed Duke’s COVID-19 protocols when the team canceled the remainder of its nonconference schedule in mid-December, but some of those details bear repeating. Since Aug. 1, the day Duke players arrived on campus, they’ve been sequestered in the Washington Duke Inn or the on-campus basketball facility. Nowhere else. No driving to get food together, no exploring campus or meeting non-athlete peers. Heck, not even the opportunity to congregate in one dorm room or common area to play video games and crack jokes.

There’s no way that semi-isolation wouldn’t have a detrimental impact. It means half of the players basically lost out on their chance to get to know one another — and to know the returnees. Between the mental fatigue of being so cooped up and the abbreviated practice time to adhere to COVID-19 protocols, the pandemic has certainly exacerbated Duke’s youth.

“It’s hard to be critical of play when you think, this guy hasn’t been out of his pen in four months,’’ Bilas says.

This is from another article

His whole family, “The Johnson Five,” as Rod and Stacy proudly claim, reconvened at home, while lockdowns persisted and the Blue Devils delayed and delayed the starting date for incoming recruits. June bled into July, and then Johnson tested positive for the virus. He was the last player to arrive in Durham for that 2020-21 season. “It was just off from get-go,” Stacy said.

There was little leeway for balance. He went to practice and went back to the hotel. He went to play and went back to the hotel. Everything always led back to that hotel. Johnson began counting down the days until the season was complete, stirring restless inside his washed-out room. He’d wake in the middle of the night, still trapped in the same repetition. The darkness began to swallow him. For the first time, he sought the counsel of a therapist. “I talked to somebody. Because you need it,” Jalen said. “You need somebody, an unbiased voice sometimes just to be able to talk things through.”

Stacy packed for Durham that second semester, sacrificing being home for the final weeks of Kobe’s senior year. She found an apartment near campus, still unable to attend home games, but regrouped each day with her son to provide guidance and emotional support. What came next wasn’t overnight. Little by little, conversation after conversation, it made clearest sense to the family for Johnson to remove himself from school and refocus on the draft process that lay ahead. “That’s when I tapped into my mental side and understanding how important that was,” Jalen said. “Because I’d have games where I’d have a great stat line, we’d win, but then it was like …” He nodded quietly. “That was a changing point.”

Johnson had a setback that made his time more difficult

Johnson missed roughly a month with a foot injury earlier in the season, and he had some peaks and valleys from a performance standpoint when healthy. He has been nearly absent from the team’s rotation as of late.

Then there was the intense scrutiny around Duke's performance in general (and Johnson's specifically) that led to the Athletic article.

This is from Steve Wiseman when Johnson left the team

"[Withdrawing] ahead of the school’s March 24 deadline for undergraduates allowed Johnson to leave school with a W, or withdrawn, on his academic record rather than an F. That means Johnson, having completed his course work in the fall semester, is leaving Duke in good academic standing and will not hurt the program’s Academic Progress Rate score with the NCAA.

"... As is the case with all players, Johnson will continue to have access to Duke’s medical staff, both physical and behavioral health services, until he signs with an agent."

There seems to be ample reason to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt regarding his departure from Duke. He has largely stayed quiet about his time here, and hasn't (that I'm aware of) made comments that would hurt the program. Unless that changes, I will continue to wish him the best. Others seem similarly inclined and do seem interested in following his career. Its unfortunate that any post regarding Johnson is inevitably met with the same negative comments.
    Thank you for the information, much more than I've read about Jalen before. Valuable insight...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Zion dropped 40 on Lebron and LAL in a losing effort on 17-27 shooting (63%), and the late-season slump brought on by Ingram's injury really cost them as they are now done for the season. Ingram had a below-average game. LAL built an 18-pt lead that NOLA managed to entirely erase with ~3 minutes to play, but then Zion left the game due to a minor injury of some sort (minor in that he walked off under his own power visibly upset).
    Great season from Zion, who hopefully shut all (most?) of the haters up.
    The Pels aren't dead yet. They now play the Kings (who defeated the Warriors in the 9/10 play-in game) on Friday night. The Pels have swept the Kings during the regular season (5-0). Loser goes home. Winner gets the 8 seed and will face OKC.

As a Pels fan I'd much rather face OKC, rather than Denver (who the Lakers get). Just hoping Zion can go on Friday at a high enough level to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    The Pels aren't dead yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I posted a few updates on Jalen Johnson in the past. I quit because I got tired of the tiresome negative responses, flames, etc (even when linking directly to a post from the Duke Men's basketball account). I didn't love the way he left Duke (and hate the blemish it put on one of K's last seasons). But he was a young man (I want to say kid, but know that will draw someone's ire) and many, many people struggled during the COVID lockdown period. Since Duke's own social media team tweets about him regularly, and refers to him as part of "The Brotherhood", it seems strange for others to argue, as I was admonished with a PM "Jalen Johnson should not be included when talking about Duke - He quit". I'm glad Johnson is doing well, and if his link to Duke can bring them any benefits great - maybe he will help the team more as an ex-blue devil than when he was here. But since he did come up again, I want to post a couple of things for context.

This is from an article in The Athletic (before Johnson left the team)

The Athletic previously detailed Duke’s COVID-19 protocols when the team canceled the remainder of its nonconference schedule in mid-December, but some of those details bear repeating. Since Aug. 1, the day Duke players arrived on campus, they’ve been sequestered in the Washington Duke Inn or the on-campus basketball facility. Nowhere else. No driving to get food together, no exploring campus or meeting non-athlete peers. Heck, not even the opportunity to congregate in one dorm room or common area to play video games and crack jokes.

There’s no way that semi-isolation wouldn’t have a detrimental impact. It means half of the players basically lost out on their chance to get to know one another — and to know the returnees. Between the mental fatigue of being so cooped up and the abbreviated practice time to adhere to COVID-19 protocols, the pandemic has certainly exacerbated Duke’s youth.

“It’s hard to be critical of play when you think, this guy hasn’t been out of his pen in four months,’’ Bilas says.

This is from another article

His whole family, “The Johnson Five,” as Rod and Stacy proudly claim, reconvened at home, while lockdowns persisted and the Blue Devils delayed and delayed the starting date for incoming recruits. June bled into July, and then Johnson tested positive for the virus. He was the last player to arrive in Durham for that 2020-21 season. “It was just off from get-go,” Stacy said.

There was little leeway for balance. He went to practice and went back to the hotel. He went to play and went back to the hotel. Everything always led back to that hotel. Johnson began counting down the days until the season was complete, stirring restless inside his washed-out room. He’d wake in the middle of the night, still trapped in the same repetition. The darkness began to swallow him. For the first time, he sought the counsel of a therapist. “I talked to somebody. Because you need it,” Jalen said. “You need somebody, an unbiased voice sometimes just to be able to talk things through.”

Stacy packed for Durham that second semester, sacrificing being home for the final weeks of Kobe’s senior year. She found an apartment near campus, still unable to attend home games, but regrouped each day with her son to provide guidance and emotional support. What came next wasn’t overnight. Little by little, conversation after conversation, it made clearest sense to the family for Johnson to remove himself from school and refocus on the draft process that lay ahead. “That’s when I tapped into my mental side and understanding how important that was,” Jalen said. “Because I’d have games where I’d have a great stat line, we’d win, but then it was like …” He nodded quietly. “That was a changing point.”

Johnson had a setback that made his time more difficult

Johnson missed roughly a month with a foot injury earlier in the season, and he had some peaks and valleys from a performance standpoint when healthy. He has been nearly absent from the team’s rotation as of late.

Then there was the intense scrutiny around Duke's performance in general (and Johnson's specifically) that led to the Athletic article.

This is from Steve Wiseman when Johnson left the team

"[Withdrawing] ahead of the school’s March 24 deadline for undergraduates allowed Johnson to leave school with a W, or withdrawn, on his academic record rather than an F. That means Johnson, having completed his course work in the fall semester, is leaving Duke in good academic standing and will not hurt the program’s Academic Progress Rate score with the NCAA.

"... As is the case with all players, Johnson will continue to have access to Duke’s medical staff, both physical and behavioral health services, until he signs with an agent."

There seems to be ample reason to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt regarding his departure from Duke. He has largely stayed quiet about his time here, and hasn't (that I'm aware of) made comments that would hurt the program. Unless that changes, I will continue to wish him the best. Others seem similarly inclined and do seem interested in following his career. Its unfortunate that any post regarding Johnson is inevitably met with the same negative comments.
    Can’t spork you but wanted to say thanks for sharing this. I’m glad Jalen got support and seems to be thriving now.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    The Pels aren't dead yet. They now play the Kings (who defeated the Warriors in the 9/10 play-in game) on Friday night. The Pels have swept the Kings during the regular season (5-0). Loser goes home. Winner gets the 8 seed and will face OKC.

As a Pels fan I'd much rather face OKC, rather than Denver (who the Lakers get). Just hoping Zion can go on Friday at a high enough level to be effective.
    thanks for the correction, i'm glad that Zion and Brandon and the Pels will get to continue playing. Sounds like NOLA has SAC's number...

Zion ruled out for Friday and likely any other playoffs games if NO wins, bummer

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    thanks for the correction, i'm glad that Zion and Brandon and the Pels will get to continue playing. Sounds like NOLA has SAC's number...
    Sorry, but Zion will be missing Friday nights elimination game against Sacramento. Hamstring that will not be better anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Zion ruled out for Friday and likely any other playoffs games if NO wins, bummer
    That's the pits.

dang...his biggest game on the biggest stage.. bummer
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    dang...his biggest game on the biggest stage.. bummer
    At least he waited until the last two minutes instead of the first two.

Edit...oops, he waited until the last 3:13.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Small nit to pick, but what I am reading says he is out for Friday, but not necessarily potential future games if they advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Small nit to pick, but what I am reading says he is out for Friday, but not necessarily potential future games if they advance.
    He’s being re-evaluated in two weeks, per Shams. May be functionally the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    He’s being re-evaluated in two weeks, per Shams. May be functionally the same thing.
    Yes, sorry should have specified the two weeks

My hot take for the playoffs is Paolo out plays Tatum in
    The second round after Orlando upsets Cleveland. Celtics beat Magic in 6 but Paolo has his coming out. I think he might be the most underrated number one pick who has had immediate success

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    My hot take for the playoffs is Paolo out plays Tatum in
    The second round after Orlando upsets Cleveland. Celtics beat Magic in 6 but Paolo has his coming out. I think he might be the most underrated number one pick who has had immediate success
    I don’t know if he’ll outplay Tatum but completely agree PB5 is the real deal. I worried during his time at Duke that he could be too passive on offense at times. He has dispelled that worry, to put it mildly.

Orlando still feels like it’s a year away but I really like what they’re putting together.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I don’t know if he’ll outplay Tatum but completely agree PB5 is the real deal. I worried during his time at Duke that he could be too passive on offense at times. He has dispelled that worry, to put it mildly.

Orlando still feels like it’s a year away but I really like what they’re putting together.
    What I remember being the weakness in Bamchero's game was he would get the ball in the post and dribble while trying to decide what do to with it. That just invited smaller players to steal or create a turnover. He seems much more decisive with the ball now which definitely works in his favor.

He's always been a heady player who knows how to use his physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What I remember being the weakness in Bamchero's game was he would get the ball in the post and dribble while trying to decide what do to with it. That just invited smaller players to steal or create a turnover. He seems much more decisive with the ball now which definitely works in his favor.

He's always been a heady player who knows how to use his physicality.
    Exactly. He actually got much more decisive late in his freshman year, which made our offense really hum, at least when uncheat's mountain man wasn't allowed just to maul him.

Zion's injury was diagnosed as a left hamstring strain with 2 weeks until re-evaluation. I was hoping it might have been just a cramp but the way he reacted it seemed more serious. The end of another season for Zion and possibly the last game for the Pelicans tonight against the Kings.

Ingram having a nice game with 22 points, 5 reb, and 6 assists as NO leads by 20 halfway thru the 4th. Too bad Zion will miss the 1st round but at least the team responded.