Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Durham Bulls link: https://img.mlbstatic.com/milb-image...6oqezbiz2f.pdf

What we know from the Bulls:
    No ACCT in Durham this year.
    After 4/1, only the weekend UNC series and 2 weekday games could be played there.
    Open first week of NCAAT but not for Supers. (Yes, we can dream a little.)

Duke made a typical DBAP split schedule. Heavy Feb-Mar DBAP and Coombs after 4/1. Your guess as to the renewal is as good as mine.

FYI, Coombs doesn't look like it's been upgraded over the summer.
    Any idea who is going to start at 2b, SS and 3b? None of our top recruits appear to play those positions.

Durham Bulls link: https://img.mlbstatic.com/milb-image...6oqezbiz2f.pdf

What we know from the Bulls:
    No ACCT in Durham this year.
    After 4/1, only the weekend UNC series and 2 weekday games could be played there.
    Open first week of NCAAT but not for Supers. (Yes, we can dream a little.)

Duke made a typical DBAP split schedule. Heavy Feb-Mar DBAP and Coombs after 4/1. Your guess as to the renewal is as good as mine.

FYI, Coombs doesn't look like it's been upgraded over the summer.
    That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is that there are a total of 6 out of 34 home games on days when the Bulls are in town. (FWIW, I think you missed the Pittsburgh series and the Longwood doubleheader.)

From reading Pack Pride, the team got dominated.

Duke is ranked 12th in the D1 Baseball preseason poll.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Duke is ranked 12th in the D1 Baseball preseason poll.
    Wow!
    So without knowing much about this year's upcoming team, what are the pollsters looking at that gets us up there?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The ACC is well represented in the D1 Baseball 2024 preseason Top 25:

Wake Forest 1
    Clemson 10
    Duke 12
    NCSU 13
    UVa 14
    UNC-CH 15

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wow!
    So without knowing much about this year's upcoming team, what are the pollsters looking at that gets us up there?
    Pitching “on paper” should be as strong as anyone.
    Santucci, Oschell, Andrew Healy, Kyle Johnson(freshman 2 way player), Tallon, Higgins, healthy Josh Allen, Owen Proksch, Charlie Belinson, Aiden Weaver, and others. Lots of options for Pollard.

Only 2 returning position players (Albright and Alex Stone). Indications are Johnson may start in OF when not pitching and freshman Macon Winslow may DH unless he relieves Stone behind the plate. Devin Obee will likely get another chance in CF. The rest will likely be covered by the various transfers.

The schedule has times and a couple tweaks (UVA is now Th-F-Sat probably for TV). All games are at Coombs still. I won't mind saying goodbye to the $7 parking fee.

The ACCT is in Char-heel.

FYI:

Fran Oschell is preseason 1st team All-American

Jonathan Santucci is preseason 2nd team All-American

James Tallon is preseason 3rd team All-American

Duke pitching could potentially be elite.

The schedule has times and a couple tweaks (UVA is now Th-F-Sat probably for TV). All games are at Coombs still. I won't mind saying goodbye to the $7 parking fee.

The ACCT is in Char-heel.
    Is there a reason no more games at DBAP and is this permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Is there a reason no more games at DBAP and is this permanent?
    I have no idea. I think it's safe to say the deal won't be renewed for this year at this point. Attendance wasn't any better at the DBAP, and I know at least 1 person who refused to go to games off campus. I haven't looked for bathroom updates. Maybe someone who goes to the lax game on Saturday can scout that for us.

I have no idea. I think it's safe to say the deal won't be renewed for this year at this point. Attendance wasn't any better at the DBAP, and I know at least 1 person who refused to go to games off campus. I haven't looked for bathroom updates. Maybe someone who goes to the lax game on Saturday can scout that for us.
    Will Duke sell beer at our home games?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Coombs

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Will Duke sell beer at our home games?
    Interesting there won't be games at DBAP this year. I know the athletic department is working with baseball alumni leadership to raise money to redo Coombs. My understanding is that is off to a slow start. Would be great if they could turn Coombs into a first-rate college baseball stadium/team home. But long way to go on that front.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pamtelp View Post
    Interesting there won't be games at DBAP this year. I know the athletic department is working with baseball alumni leadership to raise money to redo Coombs. My understanding is that is off to a slow start. Would be great if they could turn Coombs into a first-rate college baseball stadium/team home. But long way to go on that front.
    Well, having all of the games played at Coombs instead of the DBAP is a good way to kick that fund raising into gear. When people see that Duke has the option to play at a really nice facility nearby, it takes away the incentive to make what's on campus better.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, having all of the games played at Coombs instead of the DBAP is a good way to kick that fund raising into gear. When people see that Duke has the option to play at a really nice facility nearby, it takes away the incentive to make what's on campus better.
    I should know more of the history about why the baseball stadium hasn't been updated, but I don't. When you look at Koskinen Stadium, the contrast with Coombs is glaring...I guess having the DBAP to fall back on has been one reason, as CameronBorn stated
    Does Alan Schwartz have any money left?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I should know more of the history about why the baseball stadium hasn't been updated, but I don't. When you look at Koskinen Stadium, the contrast with Coombs is glaring...I guess having the DBAP to fall back on has been one reason, as CameronBorn stated
    Does Alan Schwartz have any money left?
    There are/were plans to upgrade Coombs about the same time as the track was moved out of WW and to its current location. I remember seeing them (likely when I was reviewing plans as a member of an advisory commission for the City circa 2010) but don't have a copy saved.

A quick search found this: https://www.dmsas.com/project/coombs-field/

This is not familiar to me, and there's no plans. IIRC, the idea was to push the field into Whitford Drive, since there's minimal space around the current diamond for expansion (I guess you could fit stands in place of the hill on the first base side, and relocating batting cages et al on the third base side might work, too.)

I think the plans were put on hold for financial issues; this is where the DBAP allowed some time to work on things.

Maybe if The Toad who coached our football team last year had not skulked off in the night, our AD might have had more time to devote to Coombs.

Marcus Stroman signed with the Jankees for $37 million, maybe he could get the ball rolling?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Just spit ballin' here...and as a big fan of Chris Pollard as maybe the best coach at Duke...the following is painful to contemplate:

Nina King, who's job I would NOT want to have at this time...supposedly, as reported on this forum by another poster, told a college swimmer that no one would have college swimming in five years. On the assumption this comment was made by King...I"m thinking that we could substitute the term "non revenue sports" for swimming and have a more complete assessment.

I"m not seeing any big money flowing into Coombs anytime soon. There is already huge money spent on Duke baseball...with the travel, and those guys have a LOT of swag...a lot of uni combinations. And they generate almost zero revs.
    It's tough to compete with other conferences, such as the SEC. We lost a starting infielder to Old Miss, who received (among other things) a condo, car, frequent flyer mileage (for his parents to visit), a package worth about $300K. That's for an average college infielder, not a star. Will we have college sports of ANY kind in five years other than pro leagues that license the school name?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtelp View Post
    Pollard discusses a bit here about plans to start Coombs renovations following this season. Some color on plans for the facility as well.

https://www.youtube.com/live/kekFJ4D...aW4L5IQ&t=1397

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Devil View Post
    Pollard discusses a bit here about plans to start Coombs renovations following this season. Some color on plans for the facility as well.

https://www.youtube.com/live/kekFJ4D...aW4L5IQ&t=1397
    Great find BD. Thanks for posting.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide