Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Which point forward, Grant Hill or Shane Battier? I'm guessing Grant, as he brought the ball up the court more often than Shane. Indeed, Shane never averaged more than 2.1 assists a season at Duke, while Grant topped that number all four years.

(Not trying to start an argument here. I should know better than to define Shane by his stats alone.)
    Not that we really need to debate it, but I don't really consider Shane a point-forward at all. He handled the ball nicely, but between Wojo, Avery, JWill, and Duhon, Shane never really initiated the offense. Heck, CWell was more of an initiator than Battier was for most of their time together.

Grant, on the other hand, was absolutely a point-forward, especially his senior season when Bobby was gone. Grant averaged 5.2 apg that year. I have not looked it up, but that is almost certainly the highest apg average for any non-guard in Duke history (Ferry averaged 4.7 apg as a senior).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not that we really need to debate it, but I don't really consider Shane a point-forward at all. He handled the ball nicely, but between Wojo, Avery, JWill, and Duhon, Shane never really initiated the offense. Heck, CWell was more of an initiator than Battier was for most of their time together.

Grant, on the other hand, was absolutely a point-forward, especially his senior season when Bobby was gone. Grant averaged 5.2 apg that year. I have not looked it up, but that is almost certainly the highest apg average for any non-guard in Duke history (Ferry averaged 4.7 apg as a senior).
    Agreed, Battier was never a facilitator

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Finally listening to the new edition since it for some reason hasn't been updated on Apple Podcasts... captains, don't bash the ACC refs (even in jest) on video!!!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Regardless of what he does on the court, and he does plenty there, Ryan Young has been such an incredible addition to the Duke program. Being named Captain after arriving as a transfer, hosting this excellent podcast, etc. His status as kind of an outside insider also gives him a good perspective from which to approach the pod as he didn't spend years being indoctrinated with Duke lore and DNA, yet he fully embraces it. He seems to say, at least once a podcast, that he didn't believe the hype about "The Brotherhood" before he arrived but now he sees how real and powerful it is.

I am holding Jeremy to his promise to drop BARS at Countdown. Back to an earlier pod, 9th Wonder said that Bagley was, by far, the best rapper of the players he's ever had in class, something that Jeremy took exception to.

Ryan's patented trivia at the end of the pod is really good this time because it's all focused on past Duke captains. With the program's embrace of one-and-dones in the early 2010s, the overall talent level of player that becomes captain has changed somewhat because so many of the most talented players are gone after one year. It isn't easy to answer some of the questions he poses.

Overall, I think we are in such good hands with these Captains. They each bring different things to the table, they all seem focused on the right things (the say Scheyer's mantra is "One Vision"...perhaps his spin on "the fist"?) and they have me SO FREAKIN HYPED FOR THIS SEASON!!!! LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I love these podcasts because Ryan is so engaging but doesn't impose his own personality on his guests.

His jokes about his own lack of athleticism are hysterical.

What a great way to get to know Ryan but at the same time the outstanding young men representing our basketball program.

I also love how everyone on the team, including and especially the freshman, are all about “putting in the work.“ They know this year will be different than last, that while Duke always has a target on its collective back last year was unique because everything (coach and all players but jRoach) was new, but this year we’re back to the good ol’ we get everyone’s best shot status. Knowing this and being hungry for it, Proctor implying that even as had as they work they still need to step up their game even harder, are all super positive signs. I am so psyched for the season! Cannot wait! Go Duke! 9f

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I just caught up on the past two episodes featuring 9th Wonder and Grant Hill.

As a fan of the program, I know 9th Wonder by reputation only and encourage all fans to listen to this interview because aside from being a really smart and interesting guy that has walked a non-traditional path to the Duke faculty, I think his affiliation with the program is really unique and powerful. Here's his wiki page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Wonder

As for Grant, what really smacked me between the eyes is that for a kid that grew up with tremendous privilege, he has taken every opportunity afforded to him and achieved incredible things at barely past 50 years old. NBA Hall of Famer, part owner of the Atlanta Hawks, part of the top broadcast team for CBS College hoops that gets to call the Final Four, the Chairman of USA Basketball, a Duke trustee, an esteemed and respected art collector...and that's just what I know. It's really incredible. When you combine talent with hard work with privilege with high character...I mean...the ceiling is the floor.
    Random question here....but how can Grant Hill be an owner of the Atlanta Hawks and a member of the media? Isnt there a conflict?

Next guest

According to the Duke Men's Basketball account on Facebook, tomorrow's guest is Coach Scheyer's predecessor. Should be interesting.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I’d pay Ryan Young all the NIL money to ask Coach K how many more wins he’d have if Ryan Young was on his final team(s).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I’d pay Ryan Young all the NIL money to ask Coach K how many more wins he’d have if Ryan Young was on his final team(s).
    Is there time for a thread for suggested (funny or otherwise) questions for Ryan to ask him ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Is there time for a thread for suggested (funny or otherwise) questions for Ryan to ask him ?
    The thing is... Coach K has been on sooo many interviews since he retired, that he probably talked about everything about himself since his retirement. I hope the Duke media guys have "new" questions/ideas for some "new" insights into Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Random question here...but how can Grant Hill be an owner of the Atlanta Hawks and a member of the media? Isnt there a conflict?
    Grant’s too smooth to have conflict, just so long as you don’t take him out of the starting lineup.

Which reminded me that if I could get hired onto an NBA administrative team, I’d probably go with the Hawks to hang out with GH, Mike Brey, and Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Which reminded me that if I could get hired onto an NBA administrative team, I’d probably go with the Hawks to hang out with GH, Mike Brey, and Quinn.
    But would you hang out with Jalen? Be careful how you answer

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    The thing is... Coach K has been on sooo many interviews since he retired, that he probably talked about everything about himself since his retirement. I hope the Duke media guys have "new" questions/ideas for some "new" insights into Coach K.
    The interview is great. Ryan Young, for a college student going one-on-one with K, he was remarkably poised and smooth. The kid is impressive. K has that celebrity talent for spouting long and rehearsed answers to kill time, and he does that when ticking off everything he's doing since he stopped running the basketball program...a list I have heard delivered exactly the same way many many times, but he also hits a bunch of interesting stuff. I won't laundry list them here because it is worth listening with fresh ears but I enjoyed his reactions to the scrimmage he watched in person, the shots he takes at the NCAA and ACC for general inaction in the current conference alignment and NIL atmospheres. Particularly interesting is what he says he'd do if he was a promising young coach in the NIL era. There are some fun quick hitter questions at the end. One spoiler, Ryan didn't go down the trivia road with him - I wonder if K shut that down or Ryan didn't have the confidence to try and bust it out?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    According to the Duke Men's Basketball account on Facebook, tomorrow's guest is Coach Scheyer's predecessor. Should be interesting.
    Episode 16 is up. Watching it now. I think Ryan Young, to his credit, is asking more probing questions than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Episode 16 is up. Watching it now. I think Ryan Young, to his credit, is asking more probing questions than usual.

Interestingly... Coach K said that he'll be having ankle replacement in January. I assume it's "one" ankle, and not both. This in addition to both hip replacements and both knee replacements. Maybe if they had replaced those with "motorized" joints (couldn't think of a better word), he could actually be the 6-millon dollar man.

K was clear in the interview that he really was quite sick of recruiting and just couldn’t do it anymore. But then when talking about the portal and NIL he made the point that in this new environment you’re ALWAYS recruiting. Whether it be HS guys or re-recruiting your own players to stay with the program, Youre recruiting and re-recruiting year round. The drag of recruiting being so linked to the portal and NIL such that to him it’s one and the same problem is something I found interesting and thought provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    K was clear in the interview that he really was quite sick of recruiting and just couldn’t do it anymore. But then when talking about the portal and NIL he made the point that in this new environment you’re ALWAYS recruiting. Whether it be HS guys or re-recruiting your own players to stay with the program, Youre recruiting and re-recruiting year round. The drag of recruiting being so linked to the portal and NIL such that to him it’s one and the same problem is something I found interesting and thought provoking.
    That's not just a high level P5 issue. I met an old friend who coached for years in the Big South. He said essentially the same thing - between highschool kids from 9th grade up, NIL rumors, kids who want to transfer out, and potential transfers in - you are recruiting 365 days a year. At least K had a staff of people to assist. Lower level coaches barely have time for, well, coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Interestingly... Coach K said that he'll be having ankle replacement in January. I assume it's "one" ankle, and not both. This in addition to both hip replacements and both knee replacements. Maybe if they had replaced those with "motorized" joints (couldn't think of a better word), he could actually be the 6-millon dollar man.
    Maybe "bionic"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Maybe "bionic"?
    That's a bit cooler than the nickname I now have after a couple of new knees, a toe and a shoulder:

Tinker Toy

Other recruiting related tidbits:
    -K praised Jon for avoiding the transfer portal save for grad transfers
    -Related to the above, I have heard Jon say in a few places that they still think it’s smart to focus on the top high school talent rather than the transfer portal and that as the extra COVID year classes move out, college basketball will cease to have as many 24-25 year olds and that maturity advantage will lessen.