Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Itís becoming more common nowadays to present podcasts in video form too. Helps reach a wider audience and allowing comments means thereís more user engagement. CBSís hoops podcast started doing it last season, JJ Redickís does, and also the Better Blue podcast with Ryan Kelly and James Michael MacAdoo (a hidden gem IMO). Those are just a few off the top of my head.
    Thanks! Iíll check those out.

The videos are fun. One thing I absolutely loved about the one with Proctor was they are both wearing these goofy, giant baseball caps and never mention it. Just doesnít come up, like itís the most natural thing in the world to wear clown-shoe sized hats. And the Wojo one is great too. Dude is deep and wise and his point about harmony versus balance is extremely insightful and something I will incorporate it into the pursuit of my passions. Go Duke! 9F

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    New ep is up with Jaylen Blakes, which I think I embed here:

It's a shorter episode, but still a lot of great nuggets. It certainly sounds like Jaylen is academically focused, which we'd heard before (indeed, directly through our own DBR podcast!), which is always great to hear. It certainly seems like he wants to get a Duke degree. With Jeremy and Tyrese likely moving on after this season, and no guard targets in the class of 2024 besides Ron Harper, Jaylen could be vital to the 2024-25 squad as the primary guard off the bench behind Caleb/Jared or potentially starting if one of them blows up and goes one-and-done.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    With Jeremy and Tyrese likely moving on after this season, and no guard targets in the class of 2024 besides Ron Harper, Jaylen could be vital to the 2024-25 squad...
    I am from a similar generation and remember Ron Harper, but you mean his son Dylan.

I think Jaylen could be a key piece as a senior and he would be that veteran guard who sticks around that so many fans have wanted. OTOH I wouldn't blame him for leaving to play a starting role elsewhere similar to what Goldwire did for his fifth year.

Quinn! Great interview. Listening to him describe covering for Steph made the room kinda dusty. We can all learn from him on following your own path, and always believing.

New episode

Just saw that the latest Brotherhood podcast is out, with Coach Dildy.

Episode with Coach Dildy

I just listened to the episode with Coach Dildy. It's well worth your time. He and Ryan overlapped at Northwestern for three years, so they know each other well. Among the tidbits:

Scheyer and Dildy have known each other for a very long time, because they played in the same AAU program. Dildy played there before Scheyer, but Dildy's brothers played with Scheyer.

Scheyer and Dildy talked a lot over the years, but particularly when Jordan Goldwire entered the transfer portal (Scheyer was still associate head coach).

Dildy met the team in Chicago. He said when they were at McDonald's someone from the corporation asked how many of the Duke folks had been McDonald's All-Americans. He was shocked at the number of hands that were raised, including by members of the coaching staff. He said that he has to concede that among the coaches he was the worst basketball player!

Near the end of the episode, Ryan and Coach Dildy discussed why the Big Ten has been so unsuccessful in the NCAA Tournament. They both admitted that they didn't really know, but Dildy suggested it was due to the physical play and the lack of diversity of styles.

Great interview with Dildy. Seems like a great hire. The other nice insight provided by Dildy (to me anyway) is that the transfer portal/NIL (which to be clear, he stated he isn't expressing an opinion of it being good/bad) is that it has pushed a contingent of high school prospects who would have been D1 scholarship players a few years ago to not getting any offers as teams look more at bringing in guys already with college experience through transfers rather than rolling the dice with high school prospects. He said it doesn't effect programs like Duke much since we're still recruiting the top guys (and those top guys aren't impacted much either), but lower ranked recruits aren't getting the opportunities that they used to -- so he feels badly about that for those guys. Combined with the extra COVID year, and there are simply fewer spots.

New episode up with Mark Mitchell. It is excellent as always, goes a bit into his recruitment and choosing Duke, on the court and off the court stuff, and a full explanation of what happened before the Tennessee game.

<spoiler alert>

I also have to say, I can't imagine a more terrifying first job experience than working the register at Walgreens during the early days of the pandemic. There must have been so much abuse was hurled at him. And I do agree with his opinion that everybody should have to work retail at least once in their lives to gain some perspective on how they treat others.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    New ep is up with Jaylen Blakes, which I think I embed here:

It's a shorter episode, but still a lot of great nuggets. It certainly sounds like Jaylen is academically focused, which we'd heard before (indeed, directly through our own DBR podcast!), which is always great to hear. It certainly seems like he wants to get a Duke degree. With Jeremy and Tyrese likely moving on after this season, and no guard targets in the class of 2024 besides Ron Harper, Jaylen could be vital to the 2024-25 squad as the primary guard off the bench behind Caleb/Jared or potentially starting if one of them blows up and goes one-and-done.
    Didnít know or watch the Sopranos. A New Jersey cultural phenomenon. He is young but that show was great.

New episode up with Mark Mitchell. It is excellent as always, goes a bit into his recruitment and choosing Duke, on the court and off the court stuff, and a full explanation of what happened before the Tennessee game.

<spoiler alert>

I also have to say, I can't imagine a more terrifying first job experience than working the register at Walgreens during the early days of the pandemic. There must have been so much abuse was hurled at him. And I do agree with his opinion that everybody should have to work retail at least once in their lives to gain some perspective on how they treat others.
    I believe it was Walmart not Walgreens. Duke stays injury free Final 4 and I could see a National Championship. McCain is an X factor. Proctor, Roach , McCain , Foster, Blakes, and Schutt lethal backcourt.
    Mitchell , Filipowski Young,Reeves, Stewart Power not flashy but solid front court. And a good coaching staff.

New Episode - the freshmen

All four of the freshmen are in the latest episode:

Where can I get one of those oversized hats?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Where can I get one of those oversized hats?
    Asking the real questions.

Highly recommend watching the video instead of just listening, if you are able. It's hard to know who's talking and there is a lot of background laughing that seems out of place unless you're watching them.

The four seem to have great camaraderie. I love that they will be expected to play big but complementary roles rather than being thrown in as freshmen to start and play 35 minutes a game as is typically the case for us.

<spoiler alert>

He said he injured something during the Oral Roberts game and just played through it thinking it was just a tweak, but then when he was warming up before TN, he just could not perform like he needed to. However, did he say specifically WHAT he injured? I didn't hear it; it was super vague.

He said he worked at Wal-Mart, not Walgreens. But yes, agreed otherwise. He said his FIRST day was the day people knew shutdowns were coming so everyone was buying $1000 worth of toilet paper, etc. and he didn't even know how to work the register then! Bahahahahaha. That's pretty crazy. A bit odd that he said he simply "stopped going" to work (due to basketball, other commitments) in October, rather than just TELLING them he can't go anymore, but not going to read too much into it. Seemed like a casual conversation and kinda just having fun with it.

Fun interview again, even if he did poorly on the fast food trivia. Does seem like MM likes to be contrarian on some things and provide some "hot takes" which he gets backlash for in the locker room apparently, although he seems to be understanding of the backlash and isn't a crazy conspiracy theorist or anything.

Knee

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He said he injured something during the Oral Roberts game and just played through it thinking it was just a tweak, but then when he was warming up before TN, he just could not perform like he needed to. However, did he say specifically WHAT he injured? I didn't hear it; it was super vague.

He said he worked at Wal-Mart, not Walgreens. But yes, agreed otherwise. He said his FIRST day was the day people knew shutdowns were coming so everyone was buying $1000 worth of toilet paper, etc. and he didn't even know how to work the register then! Bahahahahaha. That's pretty crazy. A bit odd that he said he simply "stopped going" to work (due to basketball, other commitments) in October, rather than just TELLING them he can't go anymore, but not going to read too much into it. Seemed like a casual conversation and kinda just having fun with it.

Fun interview again, even if he did poorly on the fast food trivia. Does seem like MM likes to be contrarian on some things and provide some "hot takes" which he gets backlash for in the locker room apparently, although he seems to be understanding of the backlash and isn't a crazy conspiracy theorist or anything.
    I thought Mark said he had a tiny tear in his knee cartilage, suffered during the OR game, and that he had surgery to repair it after the season.

I enjoyed Mark Mitchell's interview the most of all of them so far (although the latest with the four freshmen was wonderful). Mark is so engaging, personable and funny! His take on Chamberlain's 100 pt. game was fantastic.

Just makes me prouder of the kind of young men Duke recruits for its basketball team.

The question of how a modern day player would fare if he were transported through time back to the 60's is an awesome topic for debate. I think it's a defensible claim that JaVale McGee could put up Wilt's numbers. The difference in strength training, athleticism, agility, recovery and injury prevention through sports science, etc. would put today's athlete on a completely different level. The defense played in the 70's was basically nonexistent compared to today's game. There were no advanced metrics; nobody had formalized the notion that a corner three is the most efficient shot. Nobody put big men in high screen and rolls to isolate them on the perimeter. It's so much more of an advanced game due to the natural evolution both physically and strategically.

The counter argument would be the level of physical play that was allowed back then, which would be a huge adjustment for today's player. But for a big physical player like McGee I think he would hold up and be able to dish it out.

If Mitchell had said that Durant or Giannis or Lebron would put up Wilt's numbers, I don't think there would be any argument. For a non-elite player like McGee the conversation becomes interesting.

The question of how a modern day player would fare if he were transported through time back to the 60's is an awesome topic for debate. I think it's a defensible claim that JaVale McGee could put up Wilt's numbers. The difference in strength training, athleticism, agility, recovery and injury prevention through sports science, etc. would put today's athlete on a completely different level. The defense played in the 70's was basically nonexistent compared to today's game. There were no advanced metrics; nobody had formalized the notion that a corner three is the most efficient shot. Nobody put big men in high screen and rolls to isolate them on the perimeter. It's so much more of an advanced game due to the natural evolution both physically and strategically.

The counter argument would be the level of physical play that was allowed back then, which would be a huge adjustment for today's player. But for a big physical player like McGee I think he would hold up and be able to dish it out.

If Mitchell had said that Durant or Giannis or Lebron would put up Wilt's numbers, I don't think there would be any argument. For a non-elite player like McGee the conversation becomes interesting.
    Having said all the above, it's also fair to say that if JaVale McGee was alive in the 60s and was training then, he wouldn't be as good as he is today. I guess that's acknowledged as part of this. My point is that players are "better"/more athletic today because of advancements outside of them as individuals and them being part of a more evolved system (nutrition, strength training, strategy, analytics, etc.) -- that more advanced training is what has allowed them to reach higher heights when looking at it in a vacuum. If Wilt was somehow transformed to modern day, he would likely be even stronger/better than he was back then. I bought those arguments to an extent, but I didn't buy MM saying that he basically doesn't believe that Wilt had a 100-point game (because "where's the footage?").