Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have re-watched the discussion at the very end about Stranger Things and Dungeons and Dragons at least 4 times and it never fails to make me LOL. Starts at about the 37 minute mark.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Given his obvious business acumen, I wonder whether he'd be interested in working with Rachel Baker on the NIL side of things...
    One idea: With basketball providing a degree at Nothwestern and an MBA from Duke, perhaps he has reached escape velocity from Planet Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have re-watched the discussion at the very end about Stranger Things and Dungeons and Dragons at least 4 times and it never fails to make me LOL. Starts at about the 37 minute mark.
    There was so much humor in this episode! Ryan is really great at hosting! I loved when Flip was making fun of him and calling him an old man because he was asking questions about Yahtzee and Scrabble. LOL! And there were so many times that Flip would answer a question and Ryan would just start laughing in response and I kept saying to myself "I wonder what he's really thinking that he doesn't actually say."

But, as others have mentioned, it was not lost on me that Flip said he would have gone to the NBA after 1 year had he been at any other school. And I noted how surprised even Ryan was with this statement. And also how Flip said NIL is nice but wasn't a factor in his return. It just says so much about Duke and the Duke program that he looked at what Duke offers beyond NIL and factored it all into his decision. That has to speak volumes to future recruits!
    You might call it an obsession, we call it Duke Basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by kmmk View Post
    But, as others have mentioned, it was not lost on me that Flip said he would have gone to the NBA after 1 year had he been at any other school. And I noted how surprised even Ryan was with this statement. And also how Flip said NIL is nice but wasn't a factor in his return. It just says so much about Duke and the Duke program that he looked at what Duke offers beyond NIL and factored it all into his decision. That has to speak volumes to future recruits!
    Also speaks volumes about the kind of kid Kyle Filipowski is.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There was so much humor in this episode! Ryan is really great at hosting! I loved when Flip was making fun of him and calling him an old man because he was asking questions about Yahtzee and Scrabble. LOL! And there were so many times that Flip would answer a question and Ryan would just start laughing in response and I kept saying to myself "I wonder what he's really thinking that he doesn't actually say."

It was a nice thing to say, and I'm sure he believes it, but there's really no way he or anyone else could actually know this.

it was not lost on me that Flip said he would have gone to the NBA after 1 year had he been at any other school.
    I interpreted his statement completely differently - I heard it as transferring was never an option. He was either going to return to Duke or go to the NBA.

Episode 2, featuring Ryan Young chatting with Tyrese Proctor, has dropped.

Made me feel very old when neither Tyrese nor Ryan knew who Luc Longley was.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Made me feel very old when neither Tyrese nor Ryan knew who Luc Longley was.
    I really felt old when neither knew of the Andrew Gaze - Duke 1989 final four connection.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I really felt old when neither knew of the Andrew Gaze - Duke 1989 final four connection.
    Too soon!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The words "old" and "Andrew Gaze" actually go really well together. I am a diehard Seton Hall fan as it is in my hometown, though I rooted for Duke in that game only, then rooted for Seton Hall again in the final when they got hosed by a bad call.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Getting around late to the Tyrese Proctor ep... Ryan Young describing his matchups with DJ Burns of NC State as a "battle of not jumping high and hook shots" was absolutely fantastic. His self-deprecating humor is absolutely fantastic... he knows exactly what he is and what he isn't on the court, which is such a luxury.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Episode 3 is out

Episode 3 is out, this one with noted big man coach Wojo. I've only watched the brief extract on FB, in which Wojo describes playing soccer in inner city Baltimore, with Coach K and Mike Brey at one end of the field, and Dean Smith and Phil Ford at the other. He says how odd it was to have two of the all time great basketball coaches at his soccer game. (He clarifies that Dean was one of the greatest and Coach K was the GOAT.)

Just listened to the Wojo episode and highly recommend it. Wojo is very thoughtful, articulate, and self-deprecating. My favorite part is when Ryan says that Wojo is known as the godfather of the floor slap. Wojo first gives credit to Amaker and then says that he (Wojo) is known for it because it was what he did best as a player.

Just listened to the Wojo episode and highly recommend it. Wojo is very thoughtful, articulate, and self-deprecating. My favorite part is when Ryan says that Wojo is known as the godfather of the floor slap. Wojo first gives credit to Amaker and then says that he (Wojo) is known for it because it was what he did best as a player.
    Agreed, Wojo was incredibly insightful and honest. I was really impressed with his perspective.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I loved his discussion of finding “harmony” rather than “balance”… the realistic perspective that sometimes you’ve got to give your all to work, sometimes you’ve got to give your all to your personal life, and that isn’t necessarily always “balanced” really hit home for me (being in a profession that’s notorious for poor “work life balance”).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I loved his discussion of finding “harmony” rather than “balance”… the realistic perspective that sometimes you’ve got to give your all to work, sometimes you’ve got to give your all to your personal life, and that isn’t necessarily always “balanced” really hit home for me (being in a profession that’s notorious for poor “work life balance”).
    I also enjoyed the podcast with Wojo. For me, I think my idea of "balance" is what Wojo describes as "harmony"... everything needs to work together. Where he says that "balance" to him means equal amounts for everything... like a balance scale with everything in "balance". I also found amusing that he thought him "slapping the floor" was what he did best as a player.

Brotherhood podcast rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Episode 2, featuring Ryan Young chatting with Tyrese Proctor, has dropped.

I love this interview with Tyrese! His accent is awesome.

And I had no idea the Brotherhood podcast was a video podcast until I read another poster say something about Ryan’s hands. I was like “what?!”. Now Jason shows a video preview.

As I only listen to podcasts while commuting, I hadn’t even imagined podcasts as being anything other than audio. Please don’t tell me the DBR Podcast is video also, and I’ve been missing out all these years!

It’s becoming more common nowadays to present podcasts in video form too. Helps reach a wider audience and allowing comments means there’s more user engagement. CBS’s hoops podcast started doing it last season, JJ Redick’s does, and also the Better Blue podcast with Ryan Kelly and James Michael MacAdoo (a hidden gem IMO). Those are just a few off the top of my head.