Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

2023-2024 Duke MBB Preseason Thread

This thread will be the repository for all news and info about the team that we get this summer and fall running up to the start of the season. I am sure there will be off-shoot threads with really big news, but stuff like numbers, measurements, practice intel (videos?), and the such will go in this collector thread.

And allow me to get is started with the numbers for the team. The freshman have made their choices --

This makes all the team numbers for this year--

0 JaredMcCain
    1 CalebFoster
    2 Jaylen Blakes
    3 Jeremy Roach
    5 Tyrese Proctor
    12 TJ Power
    13 Sean Stewart
    14 Jaden Schutt
    15 Ryan Young
    20 Neal Begovich
    21 Christian Reeves
    25 Mark Mitchell
    30 Kyle Filipowski
    52 Stanley Borden
    55 Spencer Hubbard

Any numerologists out there want to opine on how important al this is?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here is the roster from GoDuke.com

Some interesting height/weight measurements in there, including Mitchell, Power, and Stewart all measuring in at 6'9". I believe Mitchell was at 6'8" last year. Flip is also up to 248 lbs while Reeves clocks in at 261.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This thread will be the repository for all news and info about the team that we get this summer and fall running up to the start of the season. I am sure there will be off-shoot threads with really big news, but stuff like numbers, measurements, practice intel (videos?), and the such will go in this collector thread.

And allow me to get is started with the numbers for the team. The freshman have made their choices --

This makes all the team numbers for this year--

0 JaredMcCain
    1 CalebFoster
    2 Jaylen Blakes
    3 Jeremy Roach
    5 Tyrese Proctor
    12 TJ Power
    13 Sean Stewart
    14 Jaden Schutt
    15 Ryan Young
    20 Neal Begovich
    21 Christian Reeves
    25 Mark Mitchell
    30 Kyle Filipowski
    52 Stanley Borden
    55 Spencer Hubbard

Any numerologists out there want to opine on how important al this is?
    Interesting that no one is taking advantage of the new rule allowing numbers with digits above 5. I love that Power is taking Kyle Singler's #12, as I think that's an archetype that Power should be aspiring to.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here is the roster from GoDuke.com

Some interesting height/weight measurements in there, including Mitchell, Power, and Stewart all measuring in at 6'9". I believe Mitchell was at 6'8" last year. Flip is also up to 248 lbs while Reeves clocks in at 261.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
    If Stewart is a legit 6'9'' than he can definitely play the 5 at the college level given his athleticism and other strengths... maybe not this year, but perhaps in Year 2, and especially if Christian Reeves doesn't pan out. That said, I'm excited by the weight gains of both Flip and Reeves. I think we'll know more when we start getting practice intel, but if those numbers lead to increased functional strength Flip should be able to play the 5, and Reeves' ceiling just got higher. For reference, I believe Dereck was listed at 230 last year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Do we know of any current injuries?

And who is coming off surgery?

Did y'all see the hts and wts???

Mitchell is 6-9 232, Flip 7-0 248, Reeves 7-1 261... and so on

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Do we know of any current injuries?

And who is coming off surgery?
    Kyle had hip surgery back in April. I haven't heard much of anything on Mark Mitchell's knee since it took him out of the Tennessee game. I guess no news is good news?

Those are the only injury related items I know about.

I don't know how much stock to put into these 6-9 height measurements. There were 1 or 2 sites that I think had Power's height listed at 6-9. But I don't recall seeing Stewart ever listed as anything other than 6-8. And it would be unusual for someone like Mark Mitchell to grow an inch after his freshman year - though I know it has happened (see Dunleavy). 3 of the returnees have put on substantial weight. Flip and Reeves have gained almost 20 pounds and Mitchell is listed at 230. Back to Reeves - 7-1 261lbs sounds like a load!
    Last edited by jipops; 06-26-2023 at 04:12 PM.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Kyle had hip surgery back in April. I haven't heard much of anything on Mark Mitchell's knee since it took him out of the Tennessee game. I guess no news is good news?

Reeves also had ankle surgery I believe.

As far as Flip, he certainly looked to be active and mobile at K academy, and the social media team also posted some pics of him lifting last week, so it seems like he should be good to go for the summer. That's big news considering we were worried about whether those hips might impair his development a few months ago.

I don't know how much stock to put into these 6-9 height measurements. There were 1 or 2 sites that I think had Power's height listed at 6-9. But I don't recall seeing Stewart ever listed as anything other than 6-8. And it would be unusual for someone like Mark Mitchell to grow an inch after his freshman year - though I know it has happened (see Dunleavy). 3 of the returnees have put on substantial weight. Flip and Reeves have gained almost 20 pounds and Mitchell is listed at 230. Back to Reeves - 7-1 261lbs sounds like a load!
    We need to get out the finer blocks to get real height measurements! 😀

Back to Reeves - 7-1 261lbs sounds like a load!
    I just looked, and Hunter Dickinson is listed at 7-1 260, and he's the definition of a load at the college level. After seeing the lanky kid Christian was last year, if you told me he'd ever have Dickinson's measurements, I'd call you crazy.

Now all of this has massive caveats, not the least of which is that we have to see how this weight translates to function on the basketball court. But this is why you take a chance on someone that's 7-foot-1... you just can't teach that height, but you can help shape a young man's athletic body and teach him the tools of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    Did y'all see the hts and wts???

Mitchell is 6-9 232, Flip 7-0 248, Reeves 7-1 261... and so on
    Wait, I thought Flip was supposed to be 7-6?!?

Big Spence Hubbard checking in at 58, 157 lbs.

Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    We need to get out the finer blocks to get real height measurements! 😀
    Was supposed to say cinder blocks. Damn autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Was supposed to say cinder blocks. Damn autocorrect.
    Don't worry, we figured it out. 🤣

some of our heights and weights (as has been true historically) are aspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    some of our heights and weights (as has been true historically) are aspirational.
    I agree, completely. It's the equivalent of "coach speak, as in, "I want you to gain 20 lbs. and weigh 250 pounds next season."

Where's proelitedota? This roster update with heights is a big day for them.

Do they update height and weight on the roster throughout the season? Just wondering if all these updates are relative to last June or last March.
    Trinity '09

I'll note that McCain is listed at 6'3". Looks like they split the difference between his own stated 6'4" height vs most recruiting services listing him at 6'2".

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree, completely. It's the equivalent of "coach speak, as in, "I want you to gain 20 lbs. and weigh 250 pounds next season."
    Historically our lads have self reported their heights and weights and thus have free reign over what the roster says. I remember some years ago when Coach K made some comment about Ryan Kelly's weight gain, and of course it failed to mesh with the numbers on the rosters...

I do think they update the roster info again prior to the season but it seem like the players hit the wt room. Also, the incoming Fr all have solid builds too