Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 NBA Draft

We have to factor in that going to the NBA isn't the only choice for players who might feel they aren't developing the way they want. I hope Mark Mitchell stays, because I like his game and love his personality as shown on Ryan's Podcast, but he might feel like he can be given more freedom somewhere else.

There's more than a few examples of players who weren't known as shooters in college but became serviceable shooters after going pro. Sometimes it even takes being out of the league for a few years (check out Dante Exum). Mark will definitely get a chance with one or more teams, whether or not he can stick on a roster is up to how he develops.

I think he should come back to Duke for another year though. It's not a perfect fit with Cooper Flagg, but defensively, that's 2 guys who can cover a LOT of ground and are versatile enough to defend just about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Malone is listed at 260 everywhere that I can find on the internet, including his Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Malone

Mark might compare favorably to someone like Pascal Siakam, who is 6'8" 245 and does not shoot a lot of threes.
    Compare favorably to the Pascal Siakam who is averaging 22 ppg this year, after averaging 24, 23, 21, and 23 ppg the last four years, along with anywhere from 6 to 8.5 rebounds? And twice been an NBA All-Star? That Pascal Siakam?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Compare favorably to the Pascal Siakam who is averaging 22 ppg this year, after averaging 24, 23, 21, and 23 ppg the last four years, along with anywhere from 6 to 8.5 rebounds? And twice been an NBA All-Star? That Pascal Siakam?
    Probably? Not sure why his stats or accomplishments matter when comparing styles though

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Probably? Not sure why his stats or accomplishments matter when comparing styles though
    Just realized he was talking in terms of size but point stands.

To me Lance Thomas is the model for Mark to follow from college to pro. Itís a pretty narrow path though. No one here, including me, thought Lance would have a longer NBA career than Kyle, Jon and Nolan.

If Mark comes back, TJ will probably play even less next year even if heís better. For Duke, thatís a good problem to have but itís going to test Jonís goal of keeping non OADs around longer. Although having junior Mark back is nice so it cuts both ways.

^ yeah, Lance improving his shot was pretty amazing. Mark would absolutely have to do that, and as you say this is not easy. Had Amile been able to do it he'd still be in the league.

Yes, that Pascal Siakam, as opposed to Karl Malone. C'mon, it's not that hard to pick up the narrative of the thread. Mark Mitchell is built more like PS than KM.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    There's more than a few examples of players who weren't known as shooters in college but became serviceable shooters after going pro. Sometimes it even takes being out of the league for a few years (check out Dante Exum). Mark will definitely get a chance with one or more teams, whether or not he can stick on a roster is up to how he develops.

I think he should come back to Duke for another year though. It's not a perfect fit with Cooper Flagg, but defensively, that's 2 guys who can cover a LOT of ground and are versatile enough to defend just about anyone.
    While there would be offensive challenges, the potential of a defensive frontcourt of Mark, Cooper, and either Khaman Maluach (whose decision is supposedly coming by the end of the month) or even a sophomore Sean Stewart would be incredible. Offensively it would need Cooper to be a 3 point threat, Mark to take the next step in his shooting, and good shooting from the two guards... none of which is that far out of the question. A lineup like that, in my view, would almost be like leveling up last year's defensive minded squad.

Still got a lot of time before thinking too much about that though!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yes, that Pascal Siakam, as opposed to Karl Malone. C'mon, it's not that hard to pick up the narrative of the thread. Mark Mitchell is built more like PS than KM.
    I didn't think "compare favorably" would be referring to his weight, when Mark is 25 pounds less than Siakam, and I'm not sure outweighing a guy in that range is necessarily something "favorable" anyway. There aren't a lot of Karl Malones out there -- hence why he is a Hall of Famer. So I thought you were comparing them as players, and obviously Mark is nowhere near the level of Siakam as a basketball player. But whatever. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    While there would be offensive challenges, the potential of a defensive frontcourt of Mark, Cooper, and either Khaman Maluach (whose decision is supposedly coming by the end of the month) or even a sophomore Sean Stewart would be incredible. Offensively it would need Cooper to be a 3 point threat, Mark to take the next step in his shooting, and good shooting from the two guards... none of which is that far out of the question. A lineup like that, in my view, would almost be like leveling up last year's defensive minded squad.

Still got a lot of time before thinking too much about that though!
    I think I'd prefer to go back to a team like last year's squad, who figured out the defense early on and develop offensively as the team progresses. This year's team is pretty good offensively, but we've got some limitations on D that I don't think we are going to completely correct. We don't have the personnel. It's better to start with a high floor on defense, and become good enough on offense. Less chance of Blake Hinson embarrassing us at home.

However, if McCain comes back, we might have a team who can be elite on both ends. That's the dream. He's trending up towards the lottery in mocks, though. I'm starting to think it's not going to happen.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-06-2024 at 07:31 PM.

It will be interesting to see what decisions our guys make. Sometimes guys make the decision before the season so their performance and draft stock doesn't impact the decision like it should.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    ESPNís Jonathan Givony was quite impressed with Flipís defensive versatility last night and still sees him as a potential Top 10 pick despite the frustrations being aired out on this board: https://x.com/draftexpress/status/17...cT35mxugtfMCvw

I donít think a Flagg/Filipowski front court is happening no matter how much we beg.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    ESPNís Jonathan Givony was quite impressed with Flipís defensive versatility last night and still sees him as a potential Top 10 pick despite the frustrations being aired out on this board: https://x.com/draftexpress/status/17...cT35mxugtfMCvw

I donít think a Flagg/Filipowski front court is happening no matter how much we beg.
    Yes those defensive highlights were really impressive in terms of Flip being able to move his feet, stay with drivers, rotate properly, and affect shots. Great stuff.

I think when scouts drill down into the film, though, they're going to have real questions about Flip on the offensive end. For a 7 footer he does get a lot of shots blocked, has trouble finishing at the rim when he does get the shot off, and his 3 point shooting has been OK but not great. Maybe the total package, especially in this bad draft, will be enough to get him drafted in the top 10, but I wouldn't bet a lot of $ on it.

Yes those defensive highlights were really impressive in terms of Flip being able to move his feet, stay with drivers, rotate properly, and affect shots. Great stuff.

I think when scouts drill down into the film, though, they're going to have real questions about Flip on the offensive end. For a 7 footer he does get a lot of shots blocked, has trouble finishing at the rim when he does get the shot off, and his 3 point shooting has been OK but not great. Maybe the total package, especially in this bad draft, will be enough to get him drafted in the top 10, but I wouldn't bet a lot of $ on it.
    You can't just translate college production to the pros. Players that put up amazing numbers in college struggle to produce in the NBA while a player that appears to be offensively limited are suddenly a valuable weapon in the pros. Luka Garza is the former and Dereck Lively is the latter as I type this.

Flip won't be a star in the NBA, at least not early in his career. What he will probably be is a high value role player. He's 7 feet, can guard on the perimeter and play in drop coverage inside. He passes and can shoot the ball. That's a solid rotation player for a 4 or 5 off the bat. Now you hope his shot improves to the point that he can be more of a weapon out there. At least you know he keeps the ball moving and can make a pass. Most of his shots early in his career will probably be of the catch-and-shoot variety since he won't be a star player right away. That's a good plug-and-play guy for basically any team. If he improves his shooting or continues his progression as an offensive hub, he might max out as a key player on a good team. For a draft that lacks an obvious #1 pick, taking a solid player that gives you plus defense and shooting upside at the 4 or 5 is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    You can't just translate college production to the pros. Players that put up amazing numbers in college struggle to produce in the NBA while a player that appears to be offensively limited are suddenly a valuable weapon in the pros. Luka Garza is the former and Dereck Lively is the latter as I type this.

Flip won't be a star in the NBA, at least not early in his career. What he will probably be is a high value role player. He's 7 feet, can guard on the perimeter and play in drop coverage inside. He passes and can shoot the ball. That's a solid rotation player for a 4 or 5 off the bat. Now you hope his shot improves to the point that he can be more of a weapon out there. At least you know he keeps the ball moving and can make a pass. Most of his shots early in his career will probably be of the catch-and-shoot variety since he won't be a star player right away. That's a good plug-and-play guy for basically any team. If he improves his shooting or continues his progression as an offensive hub, he might max out as a key player on a good team. For a draft that lacks an obvious #1 pick, taking a solid player that gives you plus defense and shooting upside at the 4 or 5 is a no-brainer.
    Zion aside, college kids tend to get in "NBA Shape" once they make the transition and Flip, hopefully, will do the same. The transformation of Elton Brand's body was incredible. Luka Garza's was, too. I also think Flip's shooting will improve with higher level shooting coaching and more time to work on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Zion aside, college kids tend to get in "NBA Shape" once they make the transition and Flip, hopefully, will do the same. The transformation of Elton Brand's body was incredible. Luka Garza's was, too. I also think Flip's shooting will improve with higher level shooting coaching and more time to work on his game.
    Nobody leaves college as a finished product. Well, Armando Bacot might be done. But him aside, most everyone improves their game throughout their 20s. I don't think that's an NBA specific thing so much as a lifecycle thing. Certainly, the opportunity to focus exclusively on the sport helps.

The NBA is a lot less physical than the college game. A lot of those shots he is getting blocked will be called fouls in the NBA. The scouts know that too.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    The NBA is a lot less physical than the college game. A lot of those shots he is getting blocked will be called fouls in the NBA. The scouts know that too.
    Surely you jest. The NBA is waaaaaay more physical, and it is played by guys who are both bigger and stronger than they are in college. Every single night.

Surely you jest. The NBA is waaaaaay more physical, and it is played by guys who are both bigger and stronger than they are in college. Every single night.
    Perhaps Howardlander is referring to rules on "freedom of movement" in the NBA?