Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 337

Thread: 2024 NBA Draft

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am sure Duke has recruited with the anticipation that Mark Mitchell will leave after this season for a pro career. I have little doubt that is a result of conversations between Mitchell and the coaching staff where Mark made his decision known. My bet would be that even if his draft stock is not where he wants it to be, he would likely try to take the G-League/International route to the NBA like Marques Bolden (another guy who left with eligibility remaining but not all that much draft stock).
    A healthy Junior-year MM could be a real force in the ACC next year, especially if he develops a more reliable 3 point shot. I would hope the opportunity to improve his draft stock plus a Duke NIL package would keep him around. I would choose him over any wing types on the roster not named Cooper Flagg

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I thought that was my job.
    Mmmmmm...

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I was listening to Brian Windhorst interview Givony today, and Givony said he had posted his first update to his 2024 draft. I have to assume our guys at the top have dropped, maybe not Flip, but certainly Tyrese and McCain. Does anyone have access to that list?

    They also said that the NBA is pushing hard into promoting pre-NBA basketball. It started by streaming all of Wemby's games last year and now they have put together a high school showcase centered on Cooper Flag and Montverde taking place this weekend during the in season tournament semis and finals.

    https://www.nba.com/news/nba-nike-ey...urnament-vegas

    The NBA partners with EYBL and where is the NCAA? Classic.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I was listening to Brian Windhorst interview Givony today, and Givony said he had posted his first update to his 2024 draft. I have to assume our guys at the top have dropped, maybe not Flip, but certainly Tyrese and McCain. Does anyone have access to that list?
    He and Jeremy Woo have a Mock Draft published on ESPN +, article dated November 30: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/ins...-no-1-prospect

    Givony has Flip a #11 to New Orelans, Proctor at #14 to Orlando, McCain at #21 to Atlanta, and Mitchell at #45 to Sacramento

    Yesterday, Givony posted a top 25 prospects list, also on ESPN+: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...p-25-prospects

    He has Flip at #11 (steady ranking) and Proctor at #23 (a drop from November 30). No one else from Duke is on the list.

    In both lists, it seems he is not as down on our players draft prospects as Veccenie is. Interesting to compare.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by pcal6vb View Post
    In both lists, it seems he is not as down on our players draft prospects as Veccenie is. Interesting to compare.
    I need you to address the real pressing question, is he as down on our players' draft prospect as a typical DBR poster?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by pcal6vb View Post
    He and Jeremy Woo have a Mock Draft published on ESPN +, article dated November 30: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/ins...-no-1-prospect

    Givony has Flip a #11 to New Orelans, Proctor at #14 to Orlando, McCain at #21 to Atlanta, and Mitchell at #45 to Sacramento

    Yesterday, Givony posted a top 25 prospects list, also on ESPN+: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...p-25-prospects

    He has Flip at #11 (steady ranking) and Proctor at #23 (a drop from November 30). No one else from Duke is on the list.

    In both lists, it seems he is not as down on our players draft prospects as Veccenie is. Interesting to compare.
    Givony seems pretty down on Tyrese to me. And I expect that in his next mock, Vecenie -- despite his loving Aussie players -- will drop him too.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Givony seems pretty down on Tyrese to me. And I expect that in his next mock, Vecenie -- despite his loving Aussie players -- will drop him too.
    Givony published an updated ranking and, not surprisingly given that Tyrese didn't play in December due to the injury, he has fallen further in the ranking, which one would expect to improve as he plays more and rounds into form. Given's updated board has Flip at #9, McCain #26, Proctor #30 and Foster #68.

    Mitchell not being in the Top 100 shouldn't be much of a surprise either given that at his size he can't play PF in the NBA so his selling point would have to be as a "3 and D" wing and the 5% from 3 renders that a non-starter from a draft perspective.

    https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Looking at a few recent predictions, here's where Duke players are slotted.

    Tankathon ("Player Rankings updated 1 day ago"): Kyle Filipowski #13, Tyrese Proctor #28, Jared McCain #30

    NBA Draft Room (February 1): Filipowski #14, McCain #37, Proctor #40

    CBS Sports (January 31): Filipowski #10, McCain #22, Mark Mitchell #23

    NBADraft.net (January 26): Filipowski #8, McCain #34

    The Ringer (January 24): Filipowski #10, Proctor #26, McCain #27

    Walter Football (January 24): Filipowski #9, Proctor #27

    Yahoo! (January 22): Filipowski #13, McCain #28

    SB Nation (January 18): Filipowski #10, McCain #15

    Hoop Intellect (January 13): Filipowski #10, McCain #26, Proctor #42 (video embedded below)

    USA Today (January 12): Filipowski #11, Proctor #23

    ESPN Insider (January 11): Filipowski #8, McCain #25, Proctor #44

    Bleacher Report (January 5): Filipowski #12, McCain #26, Proctor #30


  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Looking at a few recent predictions, here's where Duke players are slotted.

    Tankathon ("Player Rankings updated 1 day ago"): Kyle Filipowski #13, Tyrese Proctor #28, Jared McCain #30

    NBA Draft Room (February 1): Filipowski #14, McCain #37, Proctor #40

    CBS Sports (January 31): Filipowski #10, McCain #22, Mark Mitchell #23

    NBADraft.net (January 26): Filipowski #8, McCain #34

    The Ringer (January 24): Filipowski #10, Proctor #26, McCain #27

    Walter Football (January 24): Filipowski #9, Proctor #27

    Yahoo! (January 22): Filipowski #13, McCain #28

    SB Nation (January 18): Filipowski #10, McCain #15

    Hoop Intellect (January 13): Filipowski #10, McCain #26, Proctor #42 (video embedded below)

    USA Today (January 12): Filipowski #11, Proctor #23

    ESPN Insider (January 11): Filipowski #8, McCain #25, Proctor #44

    Bleacher Report (January 5): Filipowski #12, McCain #26, Proctor #30

    Looking forward to seeing Proctor shoot up these rankingsÖ
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Givony published an updated ranking and, not surprisingly given that Tyrese didn't play in December due to the injury, he has fallen further in the ranking, which one would expect to improve as he plays more and rounds into form. Given's updated board has Flip at #9, McCain #26, Proctor #30 and Foster #68.

    Mitchell not being in the Top 100 shouldn't be much of a surprise either given that at his size he can't play PF in the NBA so his selling point would have to be as a "3 and D" wing and the 5% from 3 renders that a non-starter from a draft perspective.

    https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable
    He's listed at 6'9'' and 232.

    Karl Malone was 6'9'' and 250.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    I expect Mitchell will get a close look from the NBA.
    a. He looks like an NBA player -- tall, long, lean yet muscular, and highly mobile.

    b. His defense is very good.

    c. He can shoot a bit, as shown by his FTs.

    d. He looks like an NBA player.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect Mitchell will get a close look from the NBA.
    a. He looks like an NBA player -- tall, long, lean yet muscular, and highly mobile.

    b. His defense is very good.

    c. He can shoot a bit, as shown by his FTs.

    d. He looks like an NBA player.
    But what does he look like?

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But what does he look like?
    He looks like a player that needs to improve his 3-point shot. And he needs to improve his handle.

    GoDuke!

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect Mitchell will get a close look from the NBA.
    a. He looks like an NBA player -- tall, long, lean yet muscular, and highly mobile.

    b. His defense is very good.

    c. He can shoot a bit, as shown by his FTs.

    d. He looks like an NBA player.
    A. Looks donít matter

    B. I agree heís a good defender. But I donít think heís a lockdown defender. I suspect his defense may be a bit overrated.

    C. Heís got one of the worst shots weíve seen at Duke for someone that plays that position. His 3 point shot will only get worse in the NBA with the added distance. See Wendell Moore.

    D. Looks donít matter

    When it comes down to it, Mitchell has very few discernible NBA skills. Did he look like an NBA player in the UNC game to you? He canít drive and score and he canít shoot. He is almost solely relegated to put backs and dunks off the pass. Heís also almost a tweener. Too big and not good enough shooter to play the 3. Something about him doesnít seem to be a good match at the 4 either. Maybe itís his lift? He doesnít seem to be a great rebounder or a great finisher. If i was him Iíd pile up as much NIL money as possible.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    He's listed at 6'9'' and 232.

    Karl Malone was 6'9'' and 250.
    Malone is listed at 260 everywhere that I can find on the internet, including his Wiki page:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Malone

    Mark might compare favorably to someone like Pascal Siakam, who is 6'8" 245 and does not shoot a lot of threes.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    A. Looks donít matter

    B. I agree heís a good defender. But I donít think heís a lockdown defender. I suspect his defense may be a bit overrated.

    C. Heís got one of the worst shots weíve seen at Duke for someone that plays that position. His 3 point shot will only get worse in the NBA with the added distance. See Wendell Moore.

    D. Looks donít matter

    When it comes down to it, Mitchell has very few discernible NBA skills. Did he look like an NBA player in the UNC game to you? He canít drive and score and he canít shoot. He is almost solely relegated to put backs and dunks off the pass. Heís also almost a tweener. Too big and not good enough shooter to play the 3. Something about him doesnít seem to be a good match at the 4 either. Maybe itís his lift? He doesnít seem to be a great rebounder or a great finisher. If i was him Iíd pile up as much NIL money as possible.
    We disagree. Re "looks don't matter," you might review NBA commentary on lottery pick Cam Reddish.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We disagree. Re "looks don't matter," you might review NBA commentary on lottery pick Cam Reddish.
    Pie bet?

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    A. Looks donít matter

    B. I agree heís a good defender. But I donít think heís a lockdown defender. I suspect his defense may be a bit overrated.

    C. Heís got one of the worst shots weíve seen at Duke for someone that plays that position. His 3 point shot will only get worse in the NBA with the added distance. See Wendell Moore.

    D. Looks donít matter

    When it comes down to it, Mitchell has very few discernible NBA skills. Did he look like an NBA player in the UNC game to you? He canít drive and score and he canít shoot. He is almost solely relegated to put backs and dunks off the pass. Heís also almost a tweener. Too big and not good enough shooter to play the 3. Something about him doesnít seem to be a good match at the 4 either. Maybe itís his lift? He doesnít seem to be a great rebounder or a great finisher. If i was him Iíd pile up as much NIL money as possible.
    The Wendell Moore comp could be a good one. Setting aside that Wendell has much better outside shooting form, his offensive game did take a big jump from soph to junior year, particularly from the arc (30% to 40%). We hope Mark ends the year with at least a high second round grade - and if he does, I think he leaves - which would bode well for the team. But he's likely one who could benefit from another year in college, and possibly playing in a more ideal position at the 3.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    The Wendell Moore comp could be a good one. Setting aside that Wendell has much better outside shooting form, his offensive game did take a big jump from soph to junior year, particularly from the arc (30% to 40%). We hope Mark ends the year with at least a high second round grade - and if he does, I think he leaves - which would bode well for the team. But he's likely one who could benefit from another year in college, and possibly playing in a more ideal position at the 3.
    Sorry. Wasnít clear enough. Look at Wendell Moore shooting stats in the NBA right now. Heís shooting like 10% from 3.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Sorry. Wasnít clear enough. Look at Wendell Moore shooting stats in the NBA right now. Heís shooting like 10% from 3.
    Yeah, I knew you were referencing his pro performance. I was latching on to your Wendell comp and extending Mark as his possible college trajectory.

Similar Threads

  1. 2024 U.S. Presidential election
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17455
    Last Post: Today, 11:49 AM
  2. Duke Softball 2024
    By DoubleBlue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1478
    Last Post: Today, 10:13 AM
  3. 2024 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3048
    Last Post: Yesterday, 05:31 PM
  4. 2024 NBA Draft
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-22-2023, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •