Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 337

Thread: 2024 NBA Draft

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I was speaking to someone who is connected to the program this weekend (not a staffer, but someone who knows folks inside the program) and they said that none of the current freshmen are eagerly eyeing the NBA as one-and-done prospects. I want to be clear, they were not saying that all of them are committed to coming back to Duke or that they have already ruled out the draft, but that none of them seem to be eyeing mock drafts or talking about their NBA stock. The belief around the program is that, for now, they all plan to be back at Duke in 24-25.

    Obviously, a lot can change over the course of the season and someone could blow up and simply not be able to turn down NBA riches, but -- at the moment -- the guys are all expecting to be back in Durham for their sophomore seasons. It also sounds like the prospect of sweating out a late first or early second round pick is not something any of these guys want to do.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  2. #42
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was speaking to someone who is connected to the program this weekend (not a staffer, but someone who knows folks inside the program) and they said that none of the current freshmen are eagerly eyeing the NBA as one-and-done prospects. I want to be clear, they were not saying that all of them are committed to coming back to Duke or that they have already ruled out the draft, but that none of them seem to be eyeing mock drafts or talking about their NBA stock. The belief around the program is that, for now, they all plan to be back at Duke in 24-25.

    Obviously, a lot can change over the course of the season and someone could blow up and simply not be able to turn down NBA riches, but -- at the moment -- the guys are all expecting to be back in Durham for their sophomore seasons. It also sounds like the prospect of sweating out a late first or early second round pick is not something any of these guys want to do.
    That’s incredible to hear… and fits with my “Scheyer is always thinking one step ahead” theory of reading into his recruiting targets. The most logical reason why there isn’t a high priority PG amongst the 2024 targets is that Scheyer is anticipating that position will be filled by returnees. Perhaps one of the contributing factors (obviously amongst many) that we didn’t end up with Bidunga, and are instead targeting a still very talented but perhaps not instant impact big in Ngongba, is because Jon anticipates a combo of Reeves and Stewart playing the 5 next year. Instead, 2024 is filled with wing types to add depth to the one position we don’t have depth this year, and would have much less if Mark goes pro. Sprinkle in a possible generational-level prospect in Flagg (fingers crossed), and boy, you’ve got a stew going!
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Last year, for the 2023 NBA Draft, I kept periodic track of YouTube mock drafts by Adam Spinella to see how Dereck Lively II, Dariq Whitehead, Tyrese Proctor, Kyle Filipowski, and Mark Mitchell were looking as pro prospects as the college season progressed.

    Good news for him, but bad news for us: Spinella was hired by the Philadelphia 76ers, and will be not be sharing his scouting thoughts outside of that organization. (Does Elton Brand read DBR?)

    Moving on, I'm hearing good things about Keandre Ashley of Hoop Intellect. Last year he updated his mock drafts regularly, once a month for 6 months. Assuming he does something similar this season, I'll try to keep up with his opinion.

    So far he's released two videos for the 2024 cycle, a preseason Big Board of 60 names and a Watchlist of players he left out, either because he wasn't ready to list them among the Top 60 or because he thinks they won't declare next spring.



    On the Big Board he has Tyrese Proctor at #7 and Kyle Filipowski at #22. In the Watchlist he talks about Jared McCain, Caleb Foster, and Mark Mitchell:

    "Duke has a few prospects this year, more than a few. Both Jared McCain and Caleb Foster could feasibly be one-and-dones this year, but I kind of expect them to be two-year guys. I like both of them for different reasons. I think Jared McCain is kind of your ultimate connector, or complementary guard type, and that's why he's probably going to get the starting nod next to Jeremy Roach and Tyrese Proctor early in the season. There's other concerns there, but I like Caleb Foster's upside as a creator a little bit more. But yeah, they just kind of make sense -- I like them as talents -- and sticking around for a year to play with Cooper Flagg, I feel like that's something that would intrigue a lot of people, rather than, you know, going as a second round pick and playing in the G League for who knows how long...

    You've got Mark Mitchell at Duke as well. He's someone I know a lot of people are big fans of, coming into the season. I'm still a little bit more hesitant just on what his NBA skill is just yet. I think he's had some really good moments defensively, and I do think that he's kind of really a four who's been playing a lot of three next to Filipowski and then they had Lively last year as a center. He's definitely somebody who's worth watching closely."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report has an updated Mock Draft to start the college basketball season, not even a month after his original projections. Same four Duke names (Proctor, Filipowski, McCain, Mitchell) with some slight movement.

    1. Ron Holland, G League Ignite (SF, 2005)
    2. Alex Sarr (Perth Wildcats, PF/C, 2005)
    3. Matas Buzelis (G League Ignite, SG/SF, 2004)
    4. Stephon Castle (Connecticut, SG, Freshman)

    5. Tyrese Proctor (Duke, PG/SG, Sophomore)

    Stock: Steady

    While Tyrese Proctor didn't string together enough consistency to build a convincing 2023 lottery case, the flashes of creation, cerebral play and shot-making still point to obvious pro potential.

    He should start the 2023-24 season with a different level of confidence compared to last November, considering how much more comfortable he looked closing the year than opening it. This already seemed evident during Duke's first exhibition, when he buried four three-pointers in the first five minutes.

    The rise and success of less athletic guards like Tyrese Haliburton, Jalen Brunson and Josh Giddey has also made it easier for scouts to look past Proctor's lack of explosion, and instead value positional size, skill and IQ. But he still needs to deliver more frequent flashes of separating, consistent shooting and efficient finishing to go top 10.


    6. Zaccharie Risacher (JL Bourg, SF, 2005)
    7. Justin Edwards (Kentucky, SF, Freshman)
    8. Isaiah Collier (USC, PG, Freshman)
    9. Nikola Topić (Mega MIS, PG, 2005)
    10. Donovan Clingan (Connecticut, C, Sophomore)
    11. Izan Almansa (G League Ignite, PF, 2005)
    12. Ja'Kobe Walter (Baylor, SG, Freshman)
    13. Aday Mara (UCLA, C, Freshman)
    14. DJ Wagner (Kentucky, PG/SG, Freshman)

    15. Kyle Filipowski (Duke, PF/C, Sophomore)

    Stock: Up (previously No. 18)

    The first looks at Filipowski have come during Duke scrimmages, and he demonstrated the type of decisiveness with his threes, movement and passing scouts would want in a returning prospect. He would have drawn first-round interest had he declared last season. But he's an obvious candidate to raise his stock in 2023-24 with more dominant two-point scoring, extra off-the-dribble flashes and consistent shooting.


    16. Robert Dillingham (Kentucky, PG/SG, Freshman)
    17. Baba Miller (Florida State, SF, Sophomore)
    18. Cody Williams (Colorado, SF, Freshman)
    19. Bobi Klintman (Cairns Taipans, SF/PF, 2003)
    20. Riley Kugel (Florida, SG, Sophomore)
    21. Elmarko Jackson (Kansas, PG/SG, Freshman)
    22. Kel'el Ware (Indiana, C, Sophomore)
    23. Tristan da Silva (Colorado, SF/PF, Senior)
    24. Adem Bona (UCLA, C, Sophomore)

    25. Jared McCain (Duke, SG, Freshman)

    Stock: Steady (previously No. 21)

    McCain's signature shooting should give him an edge in the rotation over fellow freshman Caleb Foster. A lack of wing size (6'3") and blow-by burst for a point guard may make it difficult for scouts to picture upside. But he should demonstrate enough ball-handling wiggle, shot-making and IQ for teams to see an interchangeable combo scorer.


    26. Omaha Biliew (Iowa State, SF/PF, Freshman)
    27. Tidjane Salaun (Cholet, SF/PF, 2005)
    28. Mackenzie Mgbako (Indiana, SF/PF, Freshman)
    29. Trevon Brazile (Arkansas, PF/C, Sophomore)
    30. Elliot Cadeau (North Carolina, PG, Freshman)
    31. Aaron Bradshaw (Kentucky, C, Freshman)
    32. Judah Mintz (Syracuse, PG/SG, Sophomore)
    33. Zvonimir Ivišić (Kentucky, C, Freshman)
    34. Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois, SG/SF, Senior)
    35. Scotty Middleton (Ohio State, SF, Freshman)
    36. Melvin Ajinca (Saint-Quentin, SG/SF, 2004)
    37. Berke Buyuktuncel (UCLA, SF, Freshman)
    38. Nikola Đurišić (Mega MIS, SG/SF, 2004)
    39. Harrison Ingram (North Carolina, SF/PF, Junior)
    40. Reece Beekman (Virginia, PG, Senior)
    41. Trey Alexander (Creighton, SG, Junior)
    42. Terrance Arceneaux (Houston, SG/SF, Sophomore)
    43. Bronny James (USC, SG, Freshman)
    44. Kobe Johnson (USC, SG/SF, Junior)
    45. Oso Ighodaro (Marquette, C, Senior)

    46. Mark Mitchell (Duke, SF/PF, Sophomore)

    Stock: Steady (previously No. 41)

    A more reliable jump shot would significantly change projections and NBA evaluations on Mitchell. At 6'9", his ability to slash from the perimeter, score with physicality and defend multiple positions remains attractive. Adding to his range would create an easier offensive fit and enhance a capable off-the-dribble attack.


    47. Kevin McCullar Jr. (Kansas, SG, Senior)
    48. TJ Bamba (Villanova, SG/SF, Senior)
    49. Tyler Kolek (Marquette, PG, Senior)
    50. Dalton Knecht (Tennessee, SF, Senior)
    51. Tyler Smith (G League Ignite, PF, 2004)
    52. Coleman Hawkins (Illinois, PF, Senior)
    53. Walter Clayton Jr. (Florida, PG, Junior)
    54. Bryce Hopkins (Providence, SF, Junior)
    55. Trentyn Flowers (Adelaide 36ers, SG/SF, 2005)
    56. DaRon Holmes II (Dayton, C, Junior)
    57. Ajay Mitchell (Santa Barbara, PG, Junior)
    58. Zach Edey (Purdue, C, Junior)

  5. #45
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report has an updated Mock Draft to start the college basketball season, not even a month after his original projections. Same four Duke names (Proctor, Filipowski, McCain, Mitchell) with some slight movement.

    1. Ron Holland, G League Ignite (SF, 2005)
    2. Alex Sarr (Perth Wildcats, PF/C, 2005)
    3. Matas Buzelis (G League Ignite, SG/SF, 2004)
    4. Stephon Castle (Connecticut, SG, Freshman)

    5. Tyrese Proctor (Duke, PG/SG, Sophomore)

    Stock: Steady

    While Tyrese Proctor didn't string together enough consistency to build a convincing 2023 lottery case, the flashes of creation, cerebral play and shot-making still point to obvious pro potential.

    He should start the 2023-24 season with a different level of confidence compared to last November, considering how much more comfortable he looked closing the year than opening it. This already seemed evident during Duke's first exhibition, when he buried four three-pointers in the first five minutes.

    The rise and success of less athletic guards like Tyrese Haliburton, Jalen Brunson and Josh Giddey has also made it easier for scouts to look past Proctor's lack of explosion, and instead value positional size, skill and IQ. But he still needs to deliver more frequent flashes of separating, consistent shooting and efficient finishing to go top 10.


    6. Zaccharie Risacher (JL Bourg, SF, 2005)
    7. Justin Edwards (Kentucky, SF, Freshman)
    8. Isaiah Collier (USC, PG, Freshman)
    9. Nikola Topić (Mega MIS, PG, 2005)
    10. Donovan Clingan (Connecticut, C, Sophomore)
    11. Izan Almansa (G League Ignite, PF, 2005)
    12. Ja'Kobe Walter (Baylor, SG, Freshman)
    13. Aday Mara (UCLA, C, Freshman)
    14. DJ Wagner (Kentucky, PG/SG, Freshman)

    15. Kyle Filipowski (Duke, PF/C, Sophomore)

    Stock: Up (previously No. 18)

    The first looks at Filipowski have come during Duke scrimmages, and he demonstrated the type of decisiveness with his threes, movement and passing scouts would want in a returning prospect. He would have drawn first-round interest had he declared last season. But he's an obvious candidate to raise his stock in 2023-24 with more dominant two-point scoring, extra off-the-dribble flashes and consistent shooting.


    16. Robert Dillingham (Kentucky, PG/SG, Freshman)
    17. Baba Miller (Florida State, SF, Sophomore)
    18. Cody Williams (Colorado, SF, Freshman)
    19. Bobi Klintman (Cairns Taipans, SF/PF, 2003)
    20. Riley Kugel (Florida, SG, Sophomore)
    21. Elmarko Jackson (Kansas, PG/SG, Freshman)
    22. Kel'el Ware (Indiana, C, Sophomore)
    23. Tristan da Silva (Colorado, SF/PF, Senior)
    24. Adem Bona (UCLA, C, Sophomore)

    25. Jared McCain (Duke, SG, Freshman)

    Stock: Steady (previously No. 21)

    McCain's signature shooting should give him an edge in the rotation over fellow freshman Caleb Foster. A lack of wing size (6'3") and blow-by burst for a point guard may make it difficult for scouts to picture upside. But he should demonstrate enough ball-handling wiggle, shot-making and IQ for teams to see an interchangeable combo scorer.


    26. Omaha Biliew (Iowa State, SF/PF, Freshman)
    27. Tidjane Salaun (Cholet, SF/PF, 2005)
    28. Mackenzie Mgbako (Indiana, SF/PF, Freshman)
    29. Trevon Brazile (Arkansas, PF/C, Sophomore)
    30. Elliot Cadeau (North Carolina, PG, Freshman)
    31. Aaron Bradshaw (Kentucky, C, Freshman)
    32. Judah Mintz (Syracuse, PG/SG, Sophomore)
    33. Zvonimir Ivišić (Kentucky, C, Freshman)
    34. Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois, SG/SF, Senior)
    35. Scotty Middleton (Ohio State, SF, Freshman)
    36. Melvin Ajinca (Saint-Quentin, SG/SF, 2004)
    37. Berke Buyuktuncel (UCLA, SF, Freshman)
    38. Nikola Đurišić (Mega MIS, SG/SF, 2004)
    39. Harrison Ingram (North Carolina, SF/PF, Junior)
    40. Reece Beekman (Virginia, PG, Senior)
    41. Trey Alexander (Creighton, SG, Junior)
    42. Terrance Arceneaux (Houston, SG/SF, Sophomore)
    43. Bronny James (USC, SG, Freshman)
    44. Kobe Johnson (USC, SG/SF, Junior)
    45. Oso Ighodaro (Marquette, C, Senior)

    46. Mark Mitchell (Duke, SF/PF, Sophomore)

    Stock: Steady (previously No. 41)

    A more reliable jump shot would significantly change projections and NBA evaluations on Mitchell. At 6'9", his ability to slash from the perimeter, score with physicality and defend multiple positions remains attractive. Adding to his range would create an easier offensive fit and enhance a capable off-the-dribble attack.


    47. Kevin McCullar Jr. (Kansas, SG, Senior)
    48. TJ Bamba (Villanova, SG/SF, Senior)
    49. Tyler Kolek (Marquette, PG, Senior)
    50. Dalton Knecht (Tennessee, SF, Senior)
    51. Tyler Smith (G League Ignite, PF, 2004)
    52. Coleman Hawkins (Illinois, PF, Senior)
    53. Walter Clayton Jr. (Florida, PG, Junior)
    54. Bryce Hopkins (Providence, SF, Junior)
    55. Trentyn Flowers (Adelaide 36ers, SG/SF, 2005)
    56. DaRon Holmes II (Dayton, C, Junior)
    57. Ajay Mitchell (Santa Barbara, PG, Junior)
    58. Zach Edey (Purdue, C, Junior)
    I've got a sneaky suspicion that once we start putting some games on tape, NBA types might end up higher on Caleb Foster than McCain unless Jared is shooting 40+% from 3. Why? Foster just seems like he has an NBA ready body for the PG position, while McCain's size is a likely a minus for him at the next level. I think McCain may be the better player for us this year but Foster may end up with higher draft stock if he plays well. That would be a nice problem for this team to have
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I've got a sneaky suspicion that once we start putting some games on tape, NBA types might end up higher on Caleb Foster than McCain unless Jared is shooting 40+% from 3. Why? Foster just seems like he has an NBA ready body for the PG position, while McCain's size is a likely a minus for him at the next level. I think McCain may be the better player for us this year but Foster may end up with higher draft stock if he plays well. That would be a nice problem for this team to have
    My personal hope is that McCain and Foster contribute well enough to be late 1st/early 2nd rounders in 2024 but see the weak 2025 draft as a chance to improve their stock closer to the lottery.

    It's tough for Coach Scheyer to thread the needle of recruiting lots of 5-stars that have NBA futures but want or need to stay in college for 2+ years to get there. If he manages to pull it off, Duke should be able to string together several years of teams with high floors with upside that comes along with 3+ NBA 1st rounders.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I've got a sneaky suspicion that once we start putting some games on tape, NBA types might end up higher on Caleb Foster than McCain unless Jared is shooting 40+% from 3. Why? Foster just seems like he has an NBA ready body for the PG position, while McCain's size is a likely a minus for him at the next level. I think McCain may be the better player for us this year but Foster may end up with higher draft stock if he plays well. That would be a nice problem for this team to have
    I agree with this, and also posit that it's not unlikely that both Foster and McCain end up being more highly valued by the NBA than Mitchell. Don't get me wrong, I love Mark for our program, and he will definitely be a key player for us this year, and he could -- maybe -- be an NBA player, but I think he still has a lot to prove for that level.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Jonathan Givony of ESPN has his new Top100 up as we open the season:

    1. Ron Holland - SF, G League Ignite
    2. Alex Sarr - PF/C, Aussie
    3. Isaiah Collier - PG, USC
    4. Justin Edwards - Wing, Kentucky
    5. Zaccharie Risacher - SF, France
    6. Matas Buzelis - SF, G League Ignite
    7. Donovan Clingan - C, UConn
    8. Stephon Castle - PG, UConn
    9. Izan Almansa - PF/C, G League Ignite (Spain)
    10. Nikola Topic - PG, Serbia
    11. Kyle Filipowski - PF/C, Duke
    12. Aday Mara - C, UCLA
    13. Tyrese Proctor - PG, Duke
    14. DJ Wagner - PG/SG, Kentucky

    17. Jared McCain - PG, Duke

    19. Baba Miller - SF/PF, FSU

    22. Ryan Dunn - SF/PF, Virginia

    29. Mark Mitchell - SF, Duke

    33. Reece Beekman - PG, Virginia

    46. JJ Starling - SG, Syracuse

    48. Caleb Foster- PG, Duke

    54. Judah Mintz - SG, Syracuse

    93. Harrison Ingram - SF, UNC
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jonathan Givony of ESPN has his new Top100 up as we open the season:

    1. Ron Holland - SF, G League Ignite
    2. Alex Sarr - PF/C, Aussie
    3. Isaiah Collier - PG, USC
    4. Justin Edwards - Wing, Kentucky
    5. Zaccharie Risacher - SF, France
    6. Matas Buzelis - SF, G League Ignite
    7. Donovan Clingan - C, UConn
    8. Stephon Castle - PG, UConn
    9. Izan Almansa - PF/C, G League Ignite (Spain)
    10. Nikola Topic - PG, Serbia
    11. Kyle Filipowski - PF/C, Duke
    12. Aday Mara - C, UCLA
    13. Tyrese Proctor - PG, Duke
    14. DJ Wagner - PG/SG, Kentucky

    17. Jared McCain - PG, Duke

    19. Baba Miller - SF/PF, FSU

    22. Ryan Dunn - SF/PF, Virginia

    29. Mark Mitchell - SF, Duke

    33. Reece Beekman - PG, Virginia

    46. JJ Starling - SG, Syracuse

    48. Caleb Foster- PG, Duke

    54. Judah Mintz - SG, Syracuse

    93. Harrison Ingram - SF, UNC
    Amazing that the highest ranked unCheat player is at #93.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Amazing that the highest ranked unCheat player is at #93.
    Really strange since Cadeau is #30 on the Bleacher Report list

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Really strange since Cadeau is #30 on the Bleacher Report list
    Cadeau is 6'1". That's big hurdle to getting picked in the first round.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Cadeau is 6'1". That's big hurdle to getting picked in the first round.
    Not as much for a true PG but even so, Givony doesn’t appear to have him anywhere in the draft consideration (I’m assuming since the article isn’t public).

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Not as much for a true PG but even so, Givony doesn’t appear to have him anywhere in the draft consideration (I’m assuming since the article isn’t public).
    Maybe Givony assumes that UNC will do what it has done for years with highly touted recruits: turn them into four year players.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Not as much for a true PG but even so, Givony doesn’t appear to have him anywhere in the draft consideration (I’m assuming since the article isn’t public).
    Sam Vecenie at The Athletic also didn't list Cadeau (or any Duke freshman, for that matter) in his Top 60 from earlier in the summer. He noted that the history of guards reclassifying up is spotty at best and that there is to be an expected growth curve. Tyrese Proctor is a great example of that from just last season. Thank goodness Duke isn't going to rely on a freshman in that category to be one of its top players to start the season.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Sam Vecenie at The Athletic also didn't list Cadeau (or any Duke freshman, for that matter) in his Top 60 from earlier in the summer. He noted that the history of guards reclassifying up is spotty at best and that there is to be an expected growth curve. Tyrese Proctor is a great example of that from just last season. Thank goodness Duke isn't going to rely on a freshman in that category to be one of its top players to start the season.
    Sounds like the more reputable people agree. I did look at a handful of others and Cadeau was somewhere between 23-46 in those (with a few that only did partial lists not including him).

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Sounds like the more reputable people agree. I did look at a handful of others and Cadeau was somewhere between 23-46 in those (with a few that only did partial lists not including him).
    The draft boards this time of year are interesting but not very accurate in my view. Sam Vecenie's first big board for the 2023 NBA Draft came out in July 2022. He was fairly accurate with Wembanyama and Henderson 1-2 (most everyone did at that point and Henderson went 3rd). Ausar and Amen Thomnpson went 4-5, not 6-7. After that, it got real interesting. Brandon Miller, the #2 pick, wasn't in his top 60. Neither was UCF's Taylor Hendricks. There was a lot of other guys that moved around here and there. Several projected 1st rounders transferred or stayed for a sophomore season. I identified a few below. In total, 9 of the top 30 are still playing college basketball.

    3. Cam Whitmore, Villanova
    4. Nick Smith, Arkansas
    5. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
    6. Ausar Thompson, OTE
    7. Amen Thompson, OTE
    8. Keyonte George, Baylor
    9. Cason Wallace, Kentucky
    10. Dereck Lively, Duke
    11. Terquavion Smith, NC State
    12. Anthony Black, Arkansas
    13. Gradey Dick, Kansas
    14. Dillon Mitchell, Texas --> Returned for Sophomore season
    15. Arthur Kaluma, Creighton --> Transferred to Kansas State
    16. Kel'el Ware, Oregon --> Transferred to Indiana
    17. Amari Bailey, UCLA
    18. Leonard Miller, G League Ignite
    19. Kris Murray, Iowa
    20. Kyle Filipowski, Duke --> Returned for Sophomore season (hooray!)
    21. Colby Jones, Xavier
    22. Andre Jackson, Connecticut
    23. Julian Strawther, Gonzaga
    24. Harrison Ingram, Stanford --> Transferred to UNC
    25. Matthew Cleveland, FSU --> Transferred to Miami
    26. Terrance Arceneaux, Houston --> Returned for Sophomore season
    27. Marcus Sasser, Houston
    28. Jaime Jacquez, UCLA
    29. Caleb Love, UNC --> Transferred to Arizona
    30. Tyrese Hunter, Texas --> Returned for Sophomore season

    We might conclude that the very best players at the top of the draft are likely to be drafted. After that, it's more of a toss-up.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    The Athletic's Sam Vecenie, one of the top Draft analysts out there, has released his first 2024 Mock: https://theathletic.com/5107064/2023...mpaign=8434878

    I’ve been waiting to release a 2024 NBA Draft Big Board, largely because this draft class remains so uncertain. The 2024 draft is seen as the most questionable one at the top in more than a decade. NBA teams are struggling to pinpoint the kind of prospect whose value is commensurate with that of a usual top-five pick.

    Right now, I wouldn’t take any player in this class in the top four of the 2022 draft or the top five of the 2023 draft, and I still would not classify any with a Tier One or Tier Two grade. Because of that, the order these players will be selected remains extremely up in the air. It’s not an exaggeration to say any player (outside of one) ranked in the top nine of this board could end up going No. 1.
    He also notes:
    *Eleven of the top 33 players here are either playing for G League Ignite or overseas. This NCAA class is not particularly strong with NBA prospects right now.

    *This does not look to be a good class of guards, outside of a couple guys I have near the top. Scouts are hoping players like Providence’s Garwey Dual, North Carolina’s Elliot Cadeau, Duke’s Jared McCain and Caleb Foster and others emerge further.
    1 Isaiah Collier USC
    2 Nikola Topic Mega
    3 Alexandre Sarr Perth Wildcats
    4 Zaccharie Risacher JL Bourg
    5 Cody Williams Colorado
    6 Reed Sheppard Kentucky - interesting writeup on Reed where Sam says some scouts see flashes of Steph or Trae... but the more realistic comps may be Luke Kennard or JJ Redick.
    7 Ja'Kobe Walter Baylor
    8 Ron Holland G League Ignite
    9 Matas Buzelis G League Ignite
    10 Ryan Dunn Virginia - Sam says Dunn is the runaway DPOY favorite because his length is leading to crazy steal and block rates. I've heard some comparisons to JJJr.
    11 Stephon Castle Connecticut
    12 Oso Ighodaro Marquette
    13 Donovan Clingan Connecticut
    14 Justin Edwards Kentucky
    15 Robert Dillingham Kentucky
    16 Dalton Knecht Tennessee
    17 Trey Alexander Creighton
    18 Tyler Smith G League Ignite
    19 Kyle Filipowski Duke
    20 Kobe Johnson USC
    21 Izan Almansa G League Ignite
    22 Bub Carrington Pittsburgh
    23 Tyrese Proctor Duke
    24 Adem Bona UCLA
    25 Terrence Shannon Jr. Illinois
    26 Tyler Kolek Marquette
    27 Kevin McCullar Kansas
    28 Bobi Klintman Cairns
    29 Melvin Ajinca Saint-Quentin
    30 Ajay Mitchell UC Santa Barbara


    32 D.J. Wagner Kentucky

    35 Zach Edey Purdue

    39 Wooga Poplar Miami (Fla.)

    41 Hunter Sallis Wake Forest

    43 Elliot Cadeau North Carolina

    48 Baba Miller Florida State

    51 P.J. Hall Clemson

    55 Harrison Ingram North Carolina

    59 Matthew Cleveland Miami (Fla.)

    63 Jamir Watkins Florida State

    68 Judah Mintz Syracuse

    72 Quinten Post Boston College

    78 Reece Beekman Virginia

    89 Mark Mitchell Duke

    90 Miles Kelly Georgia Tech
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-06-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Athletic's Sam Vecenie, one of the top Draft analysts out there, has released his first 2024 Mock: https://theathletic.com/5107064/2023...mpaign=8434878



    He also notes:


    1 Isaiah Collier USC
    2 Nikola Topic Mega
    3 Alexandre Sarr Perth Wildcats
    4 Zaccharie Risacher JL Bourg
    5 Cody Williams Colorado
    6 Reed Sheppard Kentucky - interesting writeup on Reed where Sam says some scouts see flashes of Steph or Trae... but the more realistic comps may be Luke Kennard or JJ Redick.
    7 Ja'Kobe Walter Baylor
    8 Ron Holland G League Ignite
    9 Matas Buzelis G League Ignite
    10 Ryan Dunn Virginia - Sam says Dunn is the runaway DPOY favorite because his length is leading to crazy steal and block rates. I've heard some comparisons to JJJr.
    11 Stephon Castle Connecticut
    12 Oso Ighodaro Marquette
    13 Donovan Clingan Connecticut
    14 Justin Edwards Kentucky
    15 Robert Dillingham Kentucky
    16 Dalton Knecht Tennessee
    17 Trey Alexander Creighton
    18 Tyler Smith G League Ignite
    19 Kyle Filipowski Duke
    20 Kobe Johnson USC
    21 Izan Almansa G League Ignite
    22 Bub Carrington Pittsburgh
    23 Tyrese Proctor Duke
    24 Adem Bona UCLA
    25 Terrence Shannon Jr. Illinois
    26 Tyler Kolek Marquette
    27 Kevin McCullar Kansas
    28 Bobi Klintman Cairns
    29 Melvin Ajinca Saint-Quentin
    30 Ajay Mitchell UC Santa Barbara


    32 D.J. Wagner Kentucky

    35 Zach Edey Purdue

    39 Wooga Poplar Miami (Fla.)

    41 Hunter Sallis Wake Forest

    43 Elliot Cadeau North Carolina

    48 Baba Miller Florida State

    51 P.J. Hall Clemson

    55 Harrison Ingram North Carolina

    59 Matthew Cleveland Miami (Fla.)

    63 Jamir Watkins Florida State

    68 Judah Mintz Syracuse

    72 Quinten Post Boston College

    78 Reece Beekman Virginia

    89 Mark Mitchell Duke

    90 Miles Kelly Georgia Tech

    Interesting mock, and of course there is a ton of basketball left to be played. But IF Mitchell continues to have a down season (I dont believe he will, I believe he bounces back strongly), what will his decision look like? With the glutton of wings we have incoming, coupled with TJ Power on the roster, would Mitchell feel it almost necessary to declare?

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Interesting mock, and of course there is a ton of basketball left to be played. But IF Mitchell continues to have a down season (I dont believe he will, I believe he bounces back strongly), what will his decision look like? With the glutton of wings we have incoming, coupled with TJ Power on the roster, would Mitchell feel it almost necessary to declare?
    I am sure Duke has recruited with the anticipation that Mark Mitchell will leave after this season for a pro career. I have little doubt that is a result of conversations between Mitchell and the coaching staff where Mark made his decision known. My bet would be that even if his draft stock is not where he wants it to be, he would likely try to take the G-League/International route to the NBA like Marques Bolden (another guy who left with eligibility remaining but not all that much draft stock).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Dur'm
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    With the glutton of wings we have incoming
    I thought that was my job.

Similar Threads

  1. 2024 U.S. Presidential election
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17452
    Last Post: Today, 10:23 AM
  2. Duke Softball 2024
    By DoubleBlue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1478
    Last Post: Today, 10:13 AM
  3. 2024 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3048
    Last Post: Yesterday, 05:31 PM
  4. 2024 NBA Draft
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-22-2023, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •