Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2024 NBA Draft

Jon Rothstein reports that "Wake Forest's Hunter Sallis tells me that he's declaring for the 2024 NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility."

I posted a link to Rookie Scale in the Jared McCain announcement thread, but it's also appropriate here. It's a pretty detailed tracker of early entrants, and it labels which are testing the waters and which are all in.

Clicking over, you can see that both McCain and Kyle Filipowski are all in and have openly signed with professional agencies. McCain is with Excel (who also handled his NIL interests since 2022) and Filipowski is with Priority (who was also his NIL representation for at least the past season).

i know. departures.. but dang if Ingram doesn't go that will be ANOTHER year they don't lose anyone to the draft. how is that possible? though Ingram is in that "late 1st/early 2nd" area that NIL could affect. look, losing BACOT is HUGE. HUGE. Ryan - eh, some he was on and off though more on as the year progressed... So it hurts. But Ingram is far better than Cormac overall - rebounding etc! If just Ingram goes I will be happy.

I don't have much hope that RJ leaves. which is sad since ALL the ACC POY have left for the last 10-15 years. or something

*Does someone have that answer? How many consecutive years has the ACC POY gone pro upon winning the ACC POY that year? I thought I heard it was 10 or 15 or ?? i think Hansbrough won it twice so he did not go pro upon winning it.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    As expected, UConn's Stephon Castle has entered the draft, where he'll likely be a lottery pick: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ters-nba-draft

Fellow Husky Alex Karaban has also entered the draft, but is maintaining his eligibility: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ns-eligibility

The defending national champs will lose the entirety of their starting 5 if Karaban stays in the draft, which is a distinct possibility (he's projected as an early second round pick).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...73722852556871

One NBA General Manager to me:

“This is an absolutely awful draft. There’s no guy that projects as a franchise player, no one that even stands out as the No. 1 pick. This is the type of draft that gets someone fired if they get the No. 1 pick.”
    Yeah, I agree with the above. I keep on looking at mock drafts and being like, "how does that guy fit on a NBA roster?" and then I realize I am looking at like the 8th pick in the draft.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...73722852556871

Yeah, I agree with the above. I keep on looking at mock drafts and being like, "how does that guy fit on a NBA roster?" and then I realize I am looking at like the 8th pick in the draft.
    Which means the Pistons will for sure get the No. 1 pick. Yay.

Harrison Ingram has declared for the draft. Thank goodness. https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/17...cT35mxugtfMCvw

Suddenly UNC looks like they won’t have all that much returning either, depending on RJ Davis’ decision…

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Harrison Ingram has declared for the draft. Thank goodness. https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/17...cT35mxugtfMCvw

Suddenly UNC looks like they won’t have all that much returning either, depending on RJ Davis’ decision…
    Excellent news. And to be honest I give the kid credit. He was nowhere near draft boards when he left Stanford. He played great for the Heels this year and proved he has the potential to be an NBA player.

Here's the official list of early entrants to the draft: https://pr.nba.com/wp-content/upload...es-4-30-24.pdf

RJ Davis' name isn't on there, despite some speculation he would "test the waters" before returning to UNC (similar to what Jeremy did last year).

Jeremy's name is on the list, so we can hold on to the slimmest of hopes that perhaps he'll go pro rather than wear another jersey next year (but don't count on it, haha). In general there are a lot of names on the list that don' thave much of a shot at getting drafted, but are throwing their hat in the ring because there's no reason not to. A quick skim didn't reveal any names that are a major surprise.

That said, one interesting name for us that is on the list is Wooga Poplar. Duke has been reportedly interested in his services to be our third guard, but there hasn't been any news beyond that. Perhaps it's because he wants to go through the draft process before making any transfer decisions, who knows.

The NBA just updated the early entry list with a few more names. A couple of them are significant...

Caleb Love of Arizona and Hunter Sallis from Wake. Unclear if they will stay in the draft but these two teams are very much in flux until we know.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The NBA takes medical data on all the top prospects in the draft at the combine. It surveys teams to find out which players teams are most interested in. As a result of that survey, they send the medical data to teams selecting who might have a shot at that player. It is sorta a silly exercise, but it serves to show who the teams are looking at early on.

Anyway, here are the top ten guys NBA teams are interested in right now (sorry, no McCain or Flip)--

Here are the 80 players invited to the combine. There will also be a G-League combine from which a few players may get an invite to the big league one. Bottom line though, if your name is not on this 80-person list, your odds of being drafted are quite slim.

Both McCain and Flip are on the invite list. I would not expect either of them to do more than get measured... well, maybe they will do a few minor workouts. No way either of them play in the scrimmages.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here are the 80 players invited to the combine. There will also be a G-League combine from which a few players may get an invite to the big league one. Bottom line though, if your name is not on this 80-person list, your odds of being drafted are quite slim.
    Thanks for posting this.

Last year 8 G-League Elite Camp participants were later invited to the NBA combine, and one of them was actually drafted: Clemson's Hunter Tyson, #37 to the Denver Nuggets. Here were the others...

Johni Broome (Auburn) -- withdrew in 2023, didn't declare in 2024, still at Auburn
    Kendric Davis (Memphis) -- not drafted
    Tosan Evbuomwan (Princeton) -- not drafted
    Jazian Gortman (Overtime Elite) -- not drafted
    PJ Hall (Clemson) -- withdrew in 2023, testing waters again in 2024
    Dillon Jones (Weber State) -- withdrew in 2023, all in for 2024
    Sir'Jabari Rice (Texas) -- not drafted

Duval, Frank Jackson and Grayson measured in at 6'1.5, 6'2 and 6'3 w/o shoes at the combine. I am curious where McCain measures at. Sub 6'2 isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by DBKilby View Post
    Duval, Frank Jackson and Grayson measured in at 6'1.5, 6'2 and 6'3 w/o shoes at the combine. I am curious where McCain measures at. Sub 6'2 isn't ideal.
    It's been working out OK for Grayson. That's a decent batting average, but not good enough for Meatloaf.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DBKilby View Post
    Im guessing 6’1 1/2” without shoes. 6-2 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Its amazing how much schools inflate players heights. I believe Justice Winslow and Joey Baker measured in at 6'4.5 w/o shoes but were listed at 6'6-6'7 during there recruitments.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Aren't Tyrese Maxey, Jalen Brunson, and Donovan Mitchell in that size range?

Three guards who were not top 10 draft choices but putting up big numbers in NBA playoffs.

ESPN's Jonathan Givony has posted a list of the 44 players invited to G League Elite Camp, a chance for players not selected for the NBA Combine to be evaluated. For those who are testing the waters, they can then determine whether they want to stay in the draft or withdraw and resume their college eligibility.

ACC players on the list:

Blake Hinson, Pittsburgh
    Baba Miller, Florida State
    Judah Mintz, Syracuse
    Baye Ndongo, Georgia Tech
    Wooga Poplar, Miami

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    ESPN's Jonathan Givony has posted a list of the 44 players invited to G League Elite Camp, a chance for players not selected for the NBA Combine to be evaluated. For those who are testing the waters, they can then determine whether they want to stay in the draft or withdraw and resume their college eligibility.

ACC players on the list:

Blake Hinson, Pittsburgh
    Baba Miller, Florida State
    Judah Mintz, Syracuse
    Baye Ndongo, Georgia Tech
    Wooga Poplar, Miami
    Had no idea that Baye Ndongo had declared. He says he will come back to Ga Tech if he pulls out of the draft. He would be a key piece toward Stoudamire getting them back to being relevant in the ACC.

I'm guessing one reason Wooga is not taking visits and ramping up his portal activity is that he is giving the draft a shot. If he is one of the guys who gets elevated from G-League to the regular combine that could seal the deal for him to stay in the draft.

Judah Mintz is going pro and not considering a return to college.

I know that we "bash" the transfer portal but one benefit is not having to have your favorite team's roster decimated by players declaring for the draft.

In the past a coach had to anticipate 12-18 months ahead who might go to the NBA and recruit accordingly. If a player like McCain played themselves into the NBA draft there was no way to replace them on short notice. Now a transfer can fill that hole in the roster.