Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    What about travelling, bumping, 3 seconds in the lane, etc. All illegal back in the "way back days". That "euro-step" drivees me crazy.
    How about carrying the ball? It seems like that is a 90% thing now when these young kids dribble. It’s way out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    How about carrying the ball? It seems like that is a 90% thing now when these young kids dribble. It’s way out of hand.
    Wouldn't that be in hand?

Yes, it makes me respect Bobby Hurley that much more.

GoDuke!

It's been like that for at least 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    I think the shot clock thing is a minor tweak. If I understand correctly, today it is "reset" to the larger of 20 or the current time - in other words, it only resets if less than 20. This rule appears to also reset it down if the shot was in the first 10 seconds. Seems like something that will rarely come into play. If the first shot came in <10 seconds, the subsequent shot is probably coming in <20.
    That might be it. Probably related to the mechanics, i.e. the guy pressing the button doesn't have to think about what the current time is. They also might be instructing them to automatically hit the 20 second button first on a rim touch and then only hit the 30 second button once the defense gets possession. The way it has been done, they are waiting to see who gets the ball before pressing the buttons. This creates two issues, 1) offense essentially getting more than 20 seconds, 2) clock expiring while the guy figures out which button to push or having to hit the 20 second button first and then the 30 second button in quick succession.

Thinking of this partly because I spent a few games pushing these buttons for daughter's HS games. It's not an easy job and mistakes are made.

Easy solution: make the clock go back to 30 when the ball hits the rim, regardless. I understand hating 'four corners' but for the life of me I don't understand the seemingly continuous drive to speed up the game.

So, going by the letter of the law, a player could choose to wear #69.

FYI, #69 is banned in the NBA. Dennis Rodman did actually request #69 when he played for the Mavs, but David Stern said no

Change in Charge/Block Rule...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...coming-season/

Key points for those not clicking on the link:

Under the new rule, a defender to draw a change must be in position at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal. If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch towards the hoop, officials will be coached to call a block if or when contact occurs.

The rule change also states that a secondary defender would have to be outside the restricted area arc to legally draw a charge. Under the previous rules structure, defenders had to be in position to draw a charge before the offensive player went airborne.

At the risk of losing my True Blue colors, something had to be done. Defensive players sliding into a position where they are not playing defense, but just trying to get knocked over by a moving offensive player, isn't basketball. It was some kind of human bowling for the defense.

The game needs cleaning up. Basketball is starting to look more and more like soccer with flopping, fake injuries, etc. This is just a first step. Defenses should be rewarded for playing defense, not acting.

There are a number of other changes that will be in place, check out the link. For one, I guess retired jersey numbers will probably never be worn again now that players can have a number from 0-99. And last listed, but not insignificant - the NIT will experiment with lane widening to 16 feet. That may prove to be big if it becomes standard.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    There are a number of other changes that will be in place, check out the link. For one, I guess retired jersey numbers will probably never be worn again now that players can have a number from 0-99. And last listed, but not insignificant - the NIT will experiment with lane widening to 16 feet. That may prove to be big if it becomes standard.

9F
    Re retired jersey numbers, you have more faith than me. Some kid who feels his brand includes his high school number will get the program to "make an exception". If the program wants him bad enough.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Re retired jersey numbers, you have more faith than me. Some kid who feels his brand includes his high school number will get the program to "make an exception". If the program wants him bad enough.
    Well, it will take time. But eventually it will be the case when the NBA allows 0-99, which means HS players will want to wear a 6x/7x/8x/9x number. And some HS players picking the same larger numbers can then move into college and the pros. Things should get a least a little better.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.

Glad to see this one. The OOB reviews have gotten out of hand.

I’m glad it will be more difficult to draw charges. Standing in the way is about as little as one can do to play defense. I’m all for primary defensive players having the right to their spots, but either challenge the shot or get out of the way as a secondary defender.

So, it's still a call refs will get wrong. Got it.

Hopefully with the rule change the refs will just lean more toward no-calls rather than whistling the defender on possible block/charge plays. Because with today’s quick athletic offensive players and offensive kickouts and flops it can become almost impossible to defend without doing *something* that can be whistled.

I like the way NBA officiates the playoffs; more of a “let’em play” standard. Players adjust quickly and complain (marginally) less when the refs let them go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, it's still a call refs will get wrong. Got it.
    Undoubtedly true. Unfortunately.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust