Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

An apparently necessary reminder: Ryan Young is good at basketball

Ryan Young is a 6-10, 235 pound center who will enter his sixth year of college basketball this fall.

Ryan Young averaged 18 minutes, 6.4 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 0.5 blocks per game in a Duke uniform last year. He shot an astounding 68% from the field and an under-the-radar 80% from the free throw line.

Ryan Young was one of our best players during the PK 80 Tournament. He almost singlehandedly willed us to victory over Oregon State with 11 points and 15 boards in 30 minutes. He put up 8 and 6 in 21 minutes versus Xavier. Ryan Young put up 10 and 5 in 22 minutes against Ohio State. 11 rebounds in 26 minutes against Iowa.

Ryan Young averaged >20 mpg for much of the ACC slate. His drop in minutes and contribution was conspicuously correlated with Dereck Lively's coming out party in Cameron against UNC.

Ryan Young has shown he is a good, albeit limited, center in high-level ACC games. Jon Scheyer has shown he trusts him both for long stretches and in crunch time. He may struggle guarding on the perimeter and isn't a Lively-style rim protector, but he's also an insanely good rebounder.

I don't understand the sentiment on this board by many that the potential need for Ryan to play 15-20 mpg next season lowers the expectations for this team. Yes, he has his limitations defensively. But Ryan Young would play at least 15-20 mpg on most high-major programs. He'd start at many of them. He's an immense luxury to have on our bench to shift Kyle from the 5 to the 4 for 15-20 mpg, which will be his likely role this season.

I just don't get the negativity surrounding him right now. I hope it's just disappointment about losing Udeh being misdirected.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

ryan young is a fine role player on a team with national title aspirations.

he is a remarkably poor defender and despite the fact that he’s 6’-10”, his inability to jump more than 1.5” off of the floor means he gets absolutely eaten alive by skilled taller college 5s.

he’s being brought up more because it’s becoming more clear that duke will need to rely on him next season to be something he isn’t: a capable 5 on a national championship caliber team.

Quote Originally Posted by normk View Post
    ryan young is a fine role player on a team with national title aspirations.

he is a remarkably poor defender and despite the fact that he’s 6’-10”, his inability to jump more than 1.5” off of the floor means he gets absolutely eaten alive by skilled taller college 5s.

he’s being brought up more because it’s becoming more clear that duke will need to rely on him next season to be something he isn’t: a capable 5 on a national championship caliber team.
    This seems doubtful. Seems much more likely that Flip leads the team in minutes at C, with Young playing about the same role as last year.

With you Scott. He is not a superstar, but he is a very valuable piece of this 24 team. I am damn glad he is here.

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    With you Scott. He is not a superstar, but he is a very valuable piece of this 24 team. I am damn glad he is here.
    Yeah, I'm not down with the negativity towards Young. He's the sort of player we have been longing for - a solid veteran leadership player on a very good team.

I hope that if we are in spots to rely on him he will rise to the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not down with the negativity towards Young. He's the sort of player we have been longing for - a solid veteran leadership player on a very good team.

I hope that if we are in spots to rely on him he will rise to the occasion.
    I agree he will be well used this year and will provide valuable minutes. But you know, some only get excited about a new, shiny toy.

He’s like a shorter Zoubek- both in height and beard length

But seriously he could provide a similar role

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    He’s like a shorter Zoubek- both in height and beard length

But seriously he could provide a similar role
    I don’t know what Brian Zoubek you watched or what Ryan Young you watched but this comparison is so far off base my head is spinning.

He's a great regular season role player and mentor/body for practices but I have major reservations when it comes to a team game planning against him during a tournament. He was getting blown by on defense. There's a reason why Duke has been searching the portal for a shot blocking big man (Shedrick, Udeh).

I don’t know what Brian Zoubek you watched or what Ryan Young you watched but this comparison is so far off base my head is spinning.
    I'd be very interested to see Ryan Young stats from last year next to Zoubek stats from his junior year...

Ummm, yeah... I'm gonna need to understand this better.

Are you saying that Duke cannot win the national title next year if Ryan is playing 10-15 minutes per game?
    Are you saying that Duke had no chance to win the national title last year when Ryan was playing 18 minutes per game on a team that won the ACC title and was the #2 team in college basketball from Feb 15 until the end of the year**?

-Jason "Ryan played 11 minutes per game over those final 11 games when Duke was the second best team in the country" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd be very interested to see Ryan Young stats from last year next to Zoubek stats from his junior year...
    Zoub as a junior -- 11.9mpg, 4.1ppg, 3.7rpg, 57.5% FG. Per 40 mins-- 13.7ppg, 12.5rpg
    Young last year -- 17.6mpg, 6.4ppg, 5.5rpg, 68.5% FG. Per 40 mins-- 14.5ppg, 12.5rpg

Ok, that is kinda scary how similar they were.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I’m mainly referencing the offensive rebounding, setting screens, and eating space up inside. Obviously Young loves posting up and doing his best Kevin McHale impersonation but that became less effective as the season progressed. Defensively they are pretty similar to me- great positioning, no leaping ability, and grab all rebounds in their area.

I am very happy that Ryan has returned for another year.I appreciate his hustle and ability to score down low. Glad we have him and look forward to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Zoub as a junior -- 11.9mpg, 4.1ppg, 3.7rpg, 57.5% FG. Per 40 mins-- 13.7ppg, 12.5rpg
    Young last year -- 17.6mpg, 6.4ppg, 5.5rpg, 68.5% FG. Per 40 mins-- 14.5ppg, 12.5rpg

Thanks for looking that up- I feel much less crazy now!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

*Pats himself on the back*

Thanks, Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I agree he will be well used this year and will provide valuable minutes. But you know, some only get excited about a new, shiny toy.
    This. "Well used" is one of the keys here. Young's usage and efficiency decreased when Lively started playing well, but I also think that Duke's offensive and defensive schemes changed later in the year to take advantage of Lively's skills. I see no reason why Coach Scheyer can't design his schemes to maximize Young's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

Gonzaga won a lot of games with center who was kind of a "YMCA" player, too.

I think the reason people are undervaluing Ryan is because of the stratospheric play of Derick Lively at the tail end of last season. Do Duke fans now think that a "Lively-esque" center is 1) expected every year, and/or 2) a necessity?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Ryan at 10-15 MPG is fabulous. Ryan's intangibles seem fabulous.

Ryan at greater than 15 MPG significantly dings Duke's title aspirations.

Because of his age, most of us probably feel we know what we are getting with another year from Ryan. However, I wonder how likely is it that he will improve significantly next season.

Until recently, there weren't a lot of 24 year old college basketball players to use as a reference, but I suspect that most NBA players are expected to improve between their age 23 and 24 seasons. Marshall Plumlee made a big leap between his age 22 and 23 seasons. I am not necessarily expecting a major step forward for Ryan, but we shouldn't entirely rule it out.