Minute distribution for next season ?

I think Duke will have several players who can play multiple positions. Hope no one plays heavy minutes until March.
    Center - Young 18, Reaves 10, Flip 8 , Stewart 4
    PF - Flip 24, Stewart, 6, Mitchell 5, TJ 5
    SF- Mitchell 18, TJ 10, McCain 6, Schutt 4, Foster 2
    SG -Roach 24, McCain 10, Foster 4, Blakes 2
    PG - Proctor 28, Foster 10, Blakes 2

Flip 32
    Proctor 28
    Roach 24
    Mitchell 23
    Young 18
    McCain 16
    Foster 16
    TJ 15
    Reaves 10
    Stewart 10
    Schutt 4
    Blakes 4

Aaaah a minutes thread on 6/1. You gotta warn a fella. That's like the Spanish Inquisition.

Minor quibble

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Aaaah a minutes thread on 6/1. You gotta warn a fella. That's like the Spanish Inquisition.
    No one expects the Spanish Inquisition, but everyone here should expect a minutes discussion, at any moment, without notice!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    To be fair, now that the roster is 99% likely to be complete (unless a grad transfer big comes out of nowhere to be a transfer possibility), I think it's reasonable to start these conversations, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    To be fair, now that the roster is 99% likely to be complete (unless a grad transfer big comes out of nowhere to be a transfer possibility), I think it's reasonable to start these conversations, haha.
    It is so sad when you see a good guy fall to the dark side.

whatever we think the distribution will be, it will be very different because stuff happens every year. It's like guessing the weather.

So, if the roster is 99% complete any grad transfer that does arrive would only get 1% of the playing time (24 seconds) so that should not affect the minute distribution discussion.

One of the reasons I enjoy DBR is discussions such as this, where the first page of the minutes distribution thread involves discussing whether there should be a minutes distribution thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    I think Duke will have several players who can play multiple positions. Hope no one plays heavy minutes until March.
    Center - Young 18, Reaves 10, Flip 8 , Stewart 4
    PF - Flip 24, Stewart, 6, Mitchell 5, TJ 5
    SF- Mitchell 18, TJ 10, McCain 6, Schutt 4, Foster 2
    SG -Roach 24, McCain 10, Foster 4, Blakes 2
    PG - Proctor 28, Foster 10, Blakes 2

Flip 32
    Proctor 28
    Roach 24
    Mitchell 23
    Young 18
    McCain 16
    Foster 16
    TJ 15
    Reaves 10
    Stewart 10
    Schutt 4
    Blakes 4
    If young is playing 18 MPG we got serious problems

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JGDUKE2008 View Post
    If young is playing 18 MPG we got serious problems
    Young played 18 mpg last year on a team with a more natural center (Lively)... and things turned out alright. I strongly disagree with you here. Ryan Young brings a lot of value to this squad, the board just seems to have collectively forgotten about it given the combination of Lively's ascension and some admittedly poor games by Ryan towards the end of the year. Even still, Ryan played 19 minutes in the regular season finale victory over UNC in Chapel Hill, and averaged 12 mpg in the preceding 5 wins. The games where he barely played were more because Dereck was playing that well, not that Ryan couldn't cut it.

I don't get why some on this board are dismissing Ryan's clear, obvious, and perhaps more importantly objectively quantifiable contributions to last year's squad.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Why, only a heretic would fear the minutes distribution,er I mean Spanish Inquisition.

Ok, I’ll play.

Roach 24 min and Mitchell 23 min?

I think only if Jon goes all in with a blue team, white team pressing defense. I don’t expect it, but it’s possible if all the freshmen force their way into rotation minutes.

I think it’s more likely that Foster or Power get mop up minutes and those extra minutes go to Roach and Mitchell in your distribution.

Also hope Stewart is earning more than 10 min per game and those come from Reeves and or Young. Stewart has a much higher upside. We want him playing if he’s ready….

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So, if the roster is 99% complete any grad transfer that does arrive would only get 1% of the playing time (24 seconds) so that should not affect the minute distribution discussion.
    Or, 1% of 200 minutes is 2 minutes in most gyms? 😄
    Last edited by Fish80; 06-01-2023 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Word smith

Young played 18 mpg last year on a team with a more natural center (Lively)... and things turned out alright. I strongly disagree with you here. Ryan Young brings a lot of value to this squad, the board just seems to have collectively forgotten about it given the combination of Lively's ascension and some admittedly poor games by Ryan towards the end of the year. Even still, Ryan played 19 minutes in the regular season finale victory over UNC in Chapel Hill, and averaged 12 mpg in the preceding 5 wins. The games where he barely played were more because Dereck was playing that well, not that Ryan couldn't cut it.

I don't get why some on this board are dismissing Ryan's clear, obvious, and perhaps more importantly objectively quantifiable contributions to last year's squad.
    However, Ryan only averaged 11.2 minutes the last 10 games. In the ACCT, and NCAAT he only averaged 8.6 minutes. There had to be a reason Coach Scheyer didn't play him that much in those big games. It's not because he's a bad rebounder or terrible shooter. I think it was his defense. I love his YMCA game but I think around 15 minutes is plenty. Especially if Flip gets plenty minutes at the 5.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Or, 1% of 200 minutes is 2 minutes in most gyms? 😄
    Oops I could make the excuse that a big man would only play the 5 and that is only 40 minutes thus the 24 seconds of playing time but I did make the math mistake.