Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jebus...I went to prep dinner for all of 5 minutes and we went from 5-2 to 11-2!

I came back in time to watch the final out. I should go back to making dinner.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    We looked like a high school team in the first to be fair.
    Yes, we did. These mid-week games are supposed to be where you work out the kinks right?

Davidson has struck out twice now and was fortunate to get a walk on her other at bat. Must be the National Player of the Week jinx!

Gold seems to be popping everything up. Trying too hard.

LOL two rbi pop up for Frelick that somehow dropped in center field. 13-2

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Do we know why (this is a single game and not a double header)?
    Precognitive pity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sophie doing an excellent job throwing strikes against a patient team now that she has a big lead.

Duke pinch hitting subs already to get them at bats.

Burgess hits the second home run of her career to
    Make it 16-2. And frosh Linh Le gets her first at bat since I think the first week of the season.

Final 16-3 duke. On to Virginia, the next challenge.

Weekend preview: UVA

Duke's final weekend at home - not counting the postseason- comes this weekend against UVA, who dropped a non-conference game against VT midweek. UVA is the 5th best team in the ACC and likely the last NCAA Tournament team from the ACC this year (so Duke will have faced the 4 best ACC teams this year).

UVA is however different from the other top ACC teams. FSU and VT had claims to being better offenses than Duke but were weaker in pitching. Clemson had a claim to be a balanced team that was just worse than Duke in both pitching and hitting. Virginia by contrast is a team that relies upon its pitching - which can arguably rival Duke in conference play - and cannot hit for their lives.

I'm not kidding about that - Virginia has just one hitter with an OPS above .812 - Shortstop Jade Hylton is hitting a really good .353/.431/.677 for a 1.108 OPS, but she's the only dangerous hitter in the linup. Other than her, the UVA lineup is devoid of competent hitters: only one other hitter hits above .300 (Duke has four batters hitting above .375) and only two other hitters with more than 2 HRs (two hitters have 5, Hylton has 9). UVA's fourth and fifth most used batters have OPSes below .600 whch is downright terrible honestly. This might be one of the worst offenses we've faced all year to be honest, and Duke's pitching should get at least one shutout this weekend, if not more.

But UVA is a tournament team because of their pitching, which has earned them numerous ACC Pitcher of the week awards. UVA has six pitchers with significant innings, with Eden Bigham getting the bulk of their starts - she started and completed two games last week and has a 2.05 ERA, a .160 Batting average against and 147 Ks in 109.1 Innings thrown. She might be the best pitcher we've faced all year - just real elite stuff. Mikayla Houge has the second most starts but has been less effective...and yet still has a 2.69 ERA on the year. UVA can give up runs sometimes - they gave up 10 to NC State in the Saturday game last weekend and 7 to VT midweek - but they are still generally tough, and the usual way they lose is because their offense just doesn't get it done.

The worry here, is that UVA totally can duplicate what Campbell did against Duke - have Bigham throw 7 really strong innings and scratch out a 3-2 or 2-1 or whatever win off some lucky opportunities. Duke's offense put it together against UNCG, with help from their pitchers and defense, but UVA is another ballgame entirely. Shutting them out is very plausible. But so is losing one in a game the offense is shut down. It will be Duke's toughest challenge until the ACC Tournament (our last ACC Opponent, NC State, is a spoiler of a team, but not a good one).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Jala pitching game 1. Opens the first inning with a strikeout

Hit by pitch and a walk get duke started but Vega popped up a 2-0 pitch. Waste of an opportunity by her

Bloop single by Gold loads the bases with one out. I expect a squeeze bunt here

No score in B5 but Vega just doubled with 1 out.

Pitchers duel. Still no score after 6.

Still scoreless after 7. Extra innings. Jala still looking strong. Bigham for VT has thrown 134 pitches so far. Jala has thrown 90 pitches with 12 Ks.

Extra innings and duke has two on one out and tapia pops out sigh

Duke rallies in B8 with 2 on and 1 out but fails to score. Going to 9th inning.

Duke canít score in the eighth. Third time weíve had a runner on third with one out and canít score