Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke softball starts off ranked 9th for the preseason 😁

Looking at the softball America poll, we once again debut against number 1 Oklahoma (yikes) and then have number 15 Nebraska in the same tourney. But I donít see any other ranked foes after that until conference play, unlike last year where we faced 7 ranked foes in our first 10 games.

do we have any new ace hurlers?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Duke brought in a transfer from Pitt, Dani Drogemuller. She had two 100 strike-out seasons for Pitt and graduated in 3 years, so I think she has 2 years of eligibility for Duke. I would be surprised if Dani sees many starts. Cassidy Curd is a clear ace for the team and Jala Wright is the number two. I'm guessing here, but I think that Dani will likely get some of Claire Davidson's innings and let Claire concentrate on the OF and batting. Sophie Garner-MCkinnon and Dani will likely see relief appearances and maybe some spot starts on heavy game weeks.

Cassidy really is a star pitcher. This team goes as far as Cassidy takes them, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As NMduke said, our new pitcher is basically gonna be our third starter/reliever along with Walker and Garner Mackinnon.

Unless one of those latter two takes a surprising leap, weíre most likely gonna rely on Cassidy Curd as our ace again - and she could seriously be one of the best pitchers in softball this year - and to hope that Jala Wright can return to her form from two years ago.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    and to hope that Jala Wright can return to her form from two years ago.
    Yes please. Last season was a strange regression.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yes please. Last season was a strange regression.
    She had to deal with some family loss iirc and also the pressure of being number 1 at first. Iím hopeful with Cass having emerged that Jala can become more comfortable again. And that Cass doesnít have similar struggles.

D1 slots Duke at #8 in their preseason poll, the highest preseason ranking yet for the program.

https://d1softball.com/2024-d1softba...and-the-field/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke softball opens the season tomorrow in Mexico against number 1 two time defending champion Oklahoma. Second straight year weíve played against Oklahoma at a neutral tournament on opening day, but last year Duke kinda didnít put forth its best effort- we started our third starter Davidson against Oklahoma as it was dukeís second game of the day that day (Duke lost against top 25 Washington to start the season). Duke actually had a solid effort in losing 4-0 and not getting run ruled like most Oklahoma opponents.

This time we get Oklahoma in the only game of the day so I expect Duke to throw ace Cassidy Curd at them. So the miracle upset is possible.

After Oklahoma this weekendís tournament also includes a game against a ranked Nebraska team, so duke should be able to get at least one ranked win if things go according to plan:

Cassidy Curd is starting as expected. Oklahoma beat Utah Valley 13-0 this morning for what itís worth

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Cassidy Curd is starting as expected. Oklahoma beat Utah Valley 13-0 this morning for what itís worth
    Any streaming video of the game?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Any streaming video of the game?
    These four games in Puerto Vallarta are only on FloSoftball. The links are up at https://goduke.com/sports/softball/schedule

You need a subscription to FloSoftball to watch. Its a monthly sub and you have to cancel later. I've done it before but choose not to this year.

The live stats are up at https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broa...5&vislive=duke

Its no score in B1.

Thanks DoubleBlue.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Yikes. We got two on one out in the first but couldnít score. Then Cass walks the first two batters and throws two wild pitches and gives up a HBPÖ.but somehow gets out of it without a run.

End 1, 0-0. Need better pitching than that

Shaky start by Curd - 2 walks and a hbp but no runs after 1.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Ö.you cannot get caught stealing third in a game where you need runs desperately and you are already in scoring position (after being bunted over to begin with!). Sloppy play by Duke to start

End 2, 0-0. Curd with two strikeouts and a walk in the second. Getting into rhythm slowly I think

1-0 Oklahoma. Thatís probably game. Letís see if we can prevent more damage tho

3-0 Oklahoma end 3. curd replaced by Lillie Walker

We got our second hit of the game, a single to open the 6th. Rally time!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide