Memorial Day 2023

As we approach the Memorial Day holiday in America, I thought I would reshare a cartoon I have shared every year.

Memorial Day is not about a three-day weekend or the beach. It is to remember and honor the memories of those who have given their lives to permit us to enjoy the blessings and freedoms we have - including those trips to the beach.

So as we spend time with our friends, families, and loved ones, please take a moment to remember why we observe (not celebrate!) Memorial Day.

I personally will be marching in the American Legion-sponsored Memorial Day parade and will be at the ceremony that closes the parade. And silently thank them for their sacrifice.

God bless America, and God bless those we have lost defending it.

Memorial Day Cartoon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    As we approach the Memorial Day holiday in America, I thought I would reshare a cartoon I have shared every year.

Memorial Day is not about a three-day weekend or the beach. It is to remember and honor the memories of those who have given their lives to permit us to enjoy the blessings and freedoms we have - including those trips to the beach.

So as we spend time with our friends, families, and loved ones, please take a moment to remember why we observe (not celebrate!) Memorial Day.

I personally will be marching in the American Legion-sponsored Memorial Day parade and will be at the ceremony that closes the parade. And silently thank them for their sacrifice.

God bless America, and God bless those we have lost defending it.

Memorial Day Cartoon.jpg
    Excellent message. It is a solemn day for many who have lost friends, family, and loved ones.

Too many friends gone. RIP, SEMPER FI

This is not quite on memorial day, but this recent essay of mine is about how we remember our war dead. TL-DR version is that sometimes we do it better than others.

https://subgameperfect.substack.com/...numental-error

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    This is not quite on memorial day, but this recent essay of mine is about how we remember our war dead. TL-DR version is that sometimes we do it better than others.

This is a very well-written essay that gives an objective, insightful view into both wars (and really all wars). Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    This is a very well-written essay that gives an objective, insightful view into both wars (and really all wars). Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for reading.

Thankful and thoughtful Memorial Day to all.

That was a double treat - the on-point discussion of two war memorials but also the beautiful and concise contextualization of the Vietnam war and it’s aftermath. Well done Will.

Thank you for essay. As a Vietnam War Veteran, I'll just add a few comments. Many of the soldiers were drafted into the war and had no choice but to serve. Unlike one politician who dodged the draft multiple times. The infantry men spent days and nights in a jungle that was filled with caves that the North Vietnam solider built. We were fighting that war on their terms. I only have one disagreement with your essay. If the protests had been done correctly, they would have been fine, but when the soldiers were spit on during the protests, that was wrong.

There are not many WWII veterans still alive and soon the Korean and Vietnam veteran will be joining them.

God Bless the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thank you for essay. As a Vietnam War Veteran, I'll just add a few comments. Many of the soldiers were drafted into the war and had no choice but to serve. Unlike one politician who dodged the draft multiple times. The infantry men spent days and nights in a jungle that was filled with caves that the North Vietnam solider built. We were fighting that war on their terms. I only have one disagreement with your essay. If the protests had been done correctly, they would have been fine, but when the soldiers were spit on during the protests, that was wrong.

There are not many WWII veterans still alive and soon the Korean and Vietnam veteran will be joining them.

God Bless the USA!
    Thank you for your service and for your coda.
    No pressure. but are there any of your buddies that died in the war that we could remember with you? Time effaces everything, of course, but this is one day when we should fight back as best we can.

Glen Knoblock. He was one year older than me and on my high school golf team. Easily our most talented player and funniest as well. I still remember him hitting a ball out of bounds in a tourney and immediately wise-cracking about it. Was blown up in his jeep two weeks after arriving in Vietnam. RIP buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Glen Knoblock. He was one year older than me and on my high school golf team. Easily our most talented player and funniest as well. I still remember him hitting a ball out of bounds in a tourney and immediately wise-cracking about it. Was blown up in his jeep two weeks after arriving in Vietnam. RIP buddy.
    Thank you for this. It's very sad.

Sherman Fields. One of my best high school friends, until he got a girlfriend and I didn’t. Was killed in the Viet Nam battle depicted in the movie “We Were Soldiers”. I didn’t know this was where he was killed, until I watched the movie, and at the end they scrolled the names of those lost in the battle, and he was listed. I have had an aversion to watching war movies since then.

At one time, my small hometown had the highest per capita Viet Nam losses in the USA. Knew all of them.

May they and all others Rest In Peace.

Thank you for your service and for your coda.
    No pressure. but are there any of your buddies that died in the war that we could remember with you? Time effaces everything, of course, but this is one day when we should fight back as best we can.
    Harry Satterfield from Madison who I played football with and Dwain Griffin from Mayodan. When my unit, the 25th Infantry began to send troops to Vietnam, there were some advanced companies sent ahead before the big arrival. One such company got caught in a mind field and only a few survived.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Harry Satterfield from Madison who I played football with and Dwain Griffin from Mayodan. When my unit, the 25th Infantry began to send troops to Vietnam, there were some advanced companies sent ahead before the big arrival. One such company got caught in a mind field and only a few survived.
    Thank you for remembering Harry and Dwain to us.