Page 857 of 872 FirstFirst ... 357757807847855856857858859867 ... LastLast
Results 17,121 to 17,140 of 17439
  1. #17121
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Let's hope you're wrong. Butker should be cut immediately and nobody should pick him up.
    You can email the Chiefs at Fanexperience@chiefs.com and call them at 816-920-4237
    I haven't gotten a response to my email yet (I asked where I could send Chiefs apparel but requested that it not be given to children for obvious reasons).
    I don't think the phone lines open until 9:30 est...
    Don't hold your breath. Are you familiar at all with the political leanings (and contributions) of the Hunt family that owns the team?

  2. #17122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I don’t agree with Butker but is canceling him the best response? I prefer the response that said he does not represent Kansas City (meaning the city- I think by the mayor).

  3. #17123
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Someone signed Michael Vick….
    Please don't remind me of why I cut ties with my beloved Steelers and have never gone back.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  4. #17124
    Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    I was hoping Joe would want to debate Donald, it sounds like Joe wants to debate twice. I wonder if they can do the debates before the early voting begins, in my opinion, that would fair to the voters, where we can hear about how each one will fix what is perceived as going wrong, as per the perspective of each side of the aisle.

    According to CNN, here is what Joe said in quotes below, he mentioned Wednesdays because of the court schedule. With Trump leading bigly in multiple swing states and leading in 5 of 6 swing states, it sounds like Joe wants to get more of his message out there to the voters. It doesn't sound like Joe has reservations or worries about a debate with Trump.

    “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. “Well, make my day, pal, I’ll even do it twice. So let’s pick the dates, Donald – I hear you’re free on Wednesdays.”

    https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/15/polit...ate/index.html
    I'll be pleasantly and wildly surprised if there are any debates that resemble debates of the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll be pleasantly and wildly surprised if there are any debates that resemble debates of the past.
    I would be also pleasantly and wildly surprised if there are any debates that resemble debates of the past. Would be nice for sure! Do you think the candidates will have input on who the moderators will be?

  5. #17125
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Dur'm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    But that's a vague abstract with unknown (and insert ____) positions. Haley and her positions are a known quantity and are attractive to a significant proposition of GOP electors that are trudging to primaries where the outcome is know. Twenty percent of GOP voters are going out of their way not to vote Trump.
    In West Virginia just yesterday, 30% of Democratic voters went out of their way not to vote for Biden. 11.5% voted for almost-unheard-of challenger Jason Palmer, and another 7.5% showed up to vote for Stephen Lyons. Biden won only 70% or so of the vote. In the same state, even though Haley claimed 9.5% of the vote, Trump won 88.4% of the vote. In Maryland, nearly 20% of the GOP voted for Haley, it's true. But on the Democratic side, more than 3% voted for Marianne Williamson or Dean Phillips, while another 11% just voted for "Uncommitted". That's 14+% going out of their way to not vote Biden. I could look up others, but the gist of it is that it's just not that much worse for Trump than for Biden, as measured by primary votes..

    Further, there's almost no evidence that people who show up for a "protest" vote in what amounts to a no-longer-contested primary will switch parties or fail to show up in a very-much-contested Presidential general election in November. General election polling strongly favors Trump still. I just don't really see a lot of reason for the GOP to be quaking in its boots.

  6. #17126
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In West Virginia just yesterday, 30% of Democratic voters went out of their way not to vote for Biden. 11.5% voted for almost-unheard-of challenger Jason Palmer, and another 7.5% showed up to vote for Stephen Lyons. Biden won only 70% or so of the vote. In the same state, even though Haley claimed 9.5% of the vote, Trump won 88.4% of the vote. In Maryland, nearly 20% of the GOP voted for Haley, it's true. But on the Democratic side, more than 3% voted for Marianne Williamson or Dean Phillips, while another 11% just voted for "Uncommitted". That's 14+% going out of their way to not vote Biden. I could look up others, but the gist of it is that it's just not that much worse for Trump than for Biden, as measured by primary votes..

    Further, there's almost no evidence that people who show up for a "protest" vote in what amounts to a no-longer-contested primary will switch parties or fail to show up in a very-much-contested Presidential general election in November. General election polling strongly favors Trump still. I just don't really see a lot of reason for the GOP to be quaking in its boots.
    You have to look at the state. It's West Virginia, so Biden doesn't care what happens there. Only Wyoming voted more for Trump in 2020. If this were a blue state or swing state it would be a concern, but it's WV. Ds don't care or matter.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  7. #17127
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Breaking: Biden and Trump have both agreed to debate on CNN on June 27. I'll be surprised if it happens, but there it is.

    https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/15/polit...ate/index.html

    That is not a Wednesday.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  8. #17128
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll give Joe this... he knows how to taunt Trump.

    So much for "when they go low, we go high."
    Yeah, that mantra didn't have a particularly good outcome.

  9. #17129
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    I would be also pleasantly and wildly surprised if there are any debates that resemble debates of the past. Would be nice for sure! Do you think the candidates will have input on who the moderators will be?
    I think that Trump will fabricate reasons to not participate - whether it is the moderators or the venue or the audience - but won't be able to pass on the chance to be on television.

    And I expect the debate itself (if it comes to pass) will be utterly devoid of any decorum and any agreed upon rules will be flatly ignored.

    I'd be willing to wager a pie on these two bits, if we could make an agreed upon way to measure them.

  10. #17130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think that Trump will fabricate reasons to not participate - whether it is the moderators or the venue or the audience - but won't be able to pass on the chance to be on television.

    And I expect the debate itself (if it comes to pass) will be utterly devoid of any decorum and any agreed upon rules will be flatly ignored.

    I'd be willing to wager a pie on these two bits, if we could make an agreed upon way to measure them.
    They have agreed to do it without an audience on CNN and I am told the decision on moderators is very close (my bet would be on Anderson Cooper and one more CNN personality). The Biden camp wants their mics to turn off when the other candidate is speaking to prevent interruptions.

    It will be held in the building I am in right now... on the CNN/WBD campus right next to Ga Tech's McCamish Pavilion. I have been told to allocate an extra 20-30 minutes for security when I come into work that day.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  11. #17131
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Breaking: Biden and Trump have both agreed to debate on CNN on June 27. I'll be surprised if it happens, but there it is.

    https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/15/polit...ate/index.html

    That is not a Wednesday.
    “I’ve received and accepted an invitation from @CNN for a debate on June 27th. Over to you, Donald. As you said: anywhere, any time, any place,” Biden said in a post on X.

    Trump later told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, “The answer is yes, I will accept.”
    cb31d3cbf704f738_giphy_3_.jpg

  12. #17132
    I wonder if I will live long enough to see an exhaustive study of the personalities, egos, and philosophies of these two men.

    I wonder if any of us will.

  13. #17133
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Breaking: Biden and Trump have both agreed to debate on CNN on June 27. I'll be surprised if it happens, but there it is.

    https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/15/polit...ate/index.html

    That is not a Wednesday.
    Where will it be held? Rikers Island or Sing Sing?

  14. #17134
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Dur'm
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    You have to look at the state. It's West Virginia, so Biden doesn't care what happens there. Only Wyoming voted more for Trump in 2020. If this were a blue state or swing state it would be a concern, but it's WV. Ds don't care or matter.
    Well, that was the first two sentences of my post. I put the important part in a whole separate paragraph for emphasis. I guess that didn't work.

    And BTW, NONE of the primaries yesterday mattered for either party. The delegate race is over. All the remaining primaries are just window dressing.

  15. #17135
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Where will it be held? Rikers Island or Sing Sing?
    irrelevant factoid: when my father was playing sandlot baseball (high school age) he played a game at Sing Sing. They got whomped but survived.

  16. #17136
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll give Joe this... he knows how to taunt Trump.

    So much for "when they go low, we go high."
    I miss those days (the Michelle Obama quote)...

    I honestly think to Biden it's unnatural to play the "tough guy/insult" game. It comes off a bit awkward to me but he's had some practice lately for sure.

    He's been in the (politics) business a long time and for most of his career it was showing respect but firm conviction on your beliefs to your opposition. That has obviously gone out the window. For whatever reason, many voters seem to want their President to insult/belittle others as it shows that they're "serious". I don't get it myself. I long for the days when McCain defended Obama by saying "he's a good man. We just have policy differences." Who knew Romney, Gore, W, Kerry, Obama was the golden age of respect at the time...

  17. #17137
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    most of his views are relatively popular in Missouri I would say...
    And I'd bet tons of pies that there are many other Chiefs players, and players on other teams, who agree with this guy.

    And he should be cut. Today. This is outright prejudice.

  18. #17138
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    yeah, the politics of footballers can be odd...not to mention pro golfers...those guys...

  19. #17139
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I don’t agree with Butker but is canceling him the best response? I prefer the response that said he does not represent Kansas City (meaning the city- I think by the mayor).
    It's not cancelling him, whatever that term even means. It would just be the Chiefs saying "you can have whatever beliefs you want, speak them freely, but those ideas are not consistent with the values that we as a franchise have, so we don't want to employ you anymore. Find another job."

  20. #17140
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I miss those days (the Michelle Obama quote)...

    I honestly think to Biden it's unnatural to play the "tough guy/insult" game. It comes off a bit awkward to me but he's had some practice lately for sure.

    He's been in the (politics) business a long time and for most of his career it was showing respect but firm conviction on your beliefs to your opposition. That has obviously gone out the window. For whatever reason, many voters seem to want their President to insult/belittle others as it shows that they're "serious". I don't get it myself. I long for the days when McCain defended Obama by saying "he's a good man. We just have policy differences." Who knew Romney, Gore, W, Kerry, Obama was the golden age of respect at the time...
    I think Joe has given the other guy way more respect than the other guy has earned. One thing that is different is that when McCain said Obama was a good man, he meant it because it was true. Joe could never say that about his opponent because it's simply not true. Politics aside, I'm not a big fan of sexual assault. To quote GOP member Mitt Romney, "I must admit that I find sexual assault to be a line I will not cross in the people I select to be my president".

    I do not like the idea that our politicians need to be "interesting" or sound "fun". I prefer serious, competent, confident. We don't need 'rallys', we need policy (for all not just the rich).

    Ironic that you mention Joe playing the "tough guy", the other guy tries to pull it off all the time and it's pitiful. That marshmallow trying to be a tough guy is just ridiculous.

Similar Threads

  1. Wagers on the Presidential Election
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 02-12-2021, 12:05 AM
  2. 2020 Presidential Election
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26102
    Last Post: 01-20-2021, 11:21 AM
  3. Presidential Inauguration
    By such in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •