Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    As far as I can tell the transition is into chaos and insanity as there is no blueprint (I know of) to a final destination. Not even an abstract description of a goal. To call it a proper transition, I think you need a target in mind.
    As I understand this (which is barely).. it looks like CA has decided that the NCAA is out of business there? Their appointed committee has seemingly replaced them as a governing body?
    Perhaps that's enough leverage to invalidate the notion of a conference, renegotiate a television contract and put each State in charge of the flow of distribution to schools in that State?

I guess schools are going to pool/funnel/allocate their $ to athletes as they see fit or at least in proportion to alums on the committee.

Who knows...
    I absolutely agree that the next stretch is likely even more madness - extending the madness of the last few "academic" calendars. But is it more absurd for schools to pay players than some abstract "third party?"

The NCAA made their bed by burying their head in the sand and pretending like this freight train wasn't heading for them. It's a weird beauracratic organization that exists at the desire of the membership schools.

When they were a legit clearinghouse for academic eligibility, it made sense (before they started shirking those duties). What can you say the NCAA does that is worth value? Organize tournaments? That's not a difficult task, and they receive plenty of criticism for how that accomplish that anyway.

The day that the NCAA is officially dissolved will be a "win" in my book. It's a paper tiger, and has been for most of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I absolutely agree that the next stretch is likely even more madness - extending the madness of the last few "academic" calendars.
    Agreed.

The NCAA made their bed by burying their head in the sand and pretending like this freight train wasn't heading for them. It's a weird beauracratic organization that exists at the desire of the membership schools.
    They neutered themselves when they abdicated an enforcement decision on the UNC non-sense.

When they were a legit clearinghouse for academic eligibility, it made sense (before they started shirking those duties). What can you say the NCAA does that is worth value?
    The day that the NCAA is officially dissolved will be a "win" in my book. It's a paper tiger, and has been for most of my life.
    I was not lamenting their potential demise in the slightest. They get what they deserve for being sycophantic cowards.

I was merely musing on the notion of what this might mean... NCAA to mothballs... A paradigm shift in the notion of big conferences.. there's a lot of food for thought here.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Agreed.

They neutered themselves when they abdicated an enforcement decision on the UNC non-sense.

I was not lamenting their potential demise in the slightest. They get what they deserve for being sycophantic cowards.

I was merely musing on the notion of what this might mean... NCAA to mothballs... A paradigm shift in the notion of big conferences.. there's a lot of food for thought here.
    Agreed. My completely uneducated guess is that the NCAA is put to rest in favor of conference agreements. If the Power X conferences that survive the next go round decide to each submit their top 6/8/10 teams to a season ended basketball tournament, there's no real need for a national organization to handle that task.

Again, football will dictate their moves. Basketball will be an afterthought. All other sports won't even be a consideration.

Agreed. My completely uneducated guess is that the NCAA is put to rest in favor of conference agreements. If the Power X conferences that survive the next go round decide to each submit their top 6/8/10 teams to a season ended basketball tournament, there's no real need for a national organization to handle that task.

Again, football will dictate their moves. Basketball will be an afterthought. All other sports won't even be a consideration.
    Interesting to see, though, what becomes of the CBS/Turner TV contract which runs thru 2032 for the NCAA tournament...I agree there may not be a need for the NCAA, but that contract has to be worth something.