Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Congratulations to - despite what I tell my children - the best Will to ever play at Duke. Very happy for him, and may it be the gateway to even greater things.

But but but...he ruined the program, right?

I mean he did ruin a program for a stretch, leaving early. Only it wasn't Duke's

Outstanding!

That's a heck of an arc from K cussing at William and his mother when they decided he should go to the NBA to that photo. Not every story turns out this well, I am glad this one did.

I read where most were in person classes. Super admiration and congratulations. Wonderful accomplishment.

SoCal

Congrats to Avery!!!!

Man, he was good when he played here. He just nailed 3's his sophomore year.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

[QUOTE=SoCalDukeFan;1600273]I read where most were in person classes ... QUOTE]

Just curious -- are we supposed to classify those classes sitting in the back paying half(?)-attention and doing The Chronicle crossword as in-person?

I'm certainly glad Will went back and earned his degree. I don't see any reference to his major, though, or what he hopes to do with his degree.

It would also be, I think, of interest to know what he was doing after he stopped playing professional basketball. Wiki sez he played overseas until retiring in 2012; he then returned to Georgia where established a basketball camp. Wiki's information seems seriously incomplete. Anyone know more?

[QUOTE=Reilly;1600311]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I read where most were in person classes ... QUOTE]

Just curious -- are we supposed to classify those classes sitting in the back paying half(?)-attention and doing The Chronicle crossword as in-person?
    There is no print Chronicle so no print Chronicle crossword. I am sure there are countless online alternatives but it is not the same.

Signed,

Bitter Chronicle Alum

I don’t care what Avery majored in our how long it took or what he plans to do (I thought he wants to coach?) - I am very impressed that he came back and did it at Duke. The further removed you are, the harder it is. And to get the Duke degree he had to complete a major with real upper level classes, sitting with a bunch of kids 20+ years younger with 1600 SATs.

[QUOTE=CrazyNotCrazie;1600315]
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

There is no print Chronicle so no print Chronicle crossword. I am sure there are countless online alternatives but it is not the same.

Signed,

Bitter Chronicle Alum

I don’t care what Avery majored in our how long it took or what he plans to do (I thought he wants to coach?) - I am very impressed that he came back and did it at Duke. The further removed you are, the harder it is. And to get the Duke degree he had to complete a major with real upper level classes, sitting with a bunch of kids 20+ years younger with 1600 SATs.
    If he wants to coach in DI (or other college?), I think he needs a university degree.

[QUOTE=Reilly;1600311]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I read where most were in person classes ... QUOTE]

Were you watching me in Dr. Battle's probability and statistic classes?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but as I was going down the rabbit hole of other players liking the post and such, it led me to discover that Theo John became a father a few months ago. Congrats to Avery for graduating and for Theo on his first child! Looks like Theo was part of the Capital City Go gos this last season (Wizards G League affiliate).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrEno46R...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

[QUOTE=gep;1600322]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

If he wants to coach in DI (or other college?), I think he needs a university degree.
    Yes - that was my point. I think he wants to coach so he needed a degree. I think that for most coaching jobs any degree is sufficient (even one from UNC) but he chose to keep going at Duke, which was not the easiest option.

[QUOTE=DukieInKansas;1600323]
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Were you watching me in Dr. Battle's probability and statistic classes?
    If you were playing solitaire and wondering if the next card was an Ace that would count.

[QUOTE=CrazyNotCrazie;1600381]
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post

Yes - that was my point. I think he wants to coach so he needed a degree. I think that for most coaching jobs any degree is sufficient (even one from UNC) but he chose to keep going at Duke, which was not the easiest option.
    It is certainly possible that Avery wants to coach and that a college degree would be résumé appropriate. My question was directed to his Duke degree which seems to over qualify Will for coaching. And he made a special effort for it. So, it looks to me like he is targeting something else. Law school? MBA? Teaching? Grad school? The Duke degree might be an entrée to any of these, whereas a degree from a university of lesser academic reputation might not serve as well. Hence my question.

This is really cool news. Avery was one of my favorites and in fact until JayWill came along I wondered when it would be that Duke would have such a dynamic PG. I was bummed when Avery left for the NBA as a freshman but I respected his decision and thought he’d flourish. I know there was a lot of scuttle — and back channel talks about not being blessed to leave by the big guy — but honestly people leave for many reasons that only they know about. And coming back to Duke to finish a degree in person this many years later is outstanding. It reflects so well on the Duke community at large. In fact, I’d be willing to state that Avery is a much greater ambassador (and I appreciate him more having got us to the championship) than another talented and higher ranked point guard who went on to win an NBA championship and become Uncle Flatearth McTeamKilla

[QUOTE=MarkD83;1600389]
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

If you were playing solitaire and wondering if the next card was an Ace that would count.
    No solitaire - just the crossword. My other claim to fame in his classes was getting him to reschedule his tests if they were scheduled for a bball game night.

[QUOTE=Jim3k;1600556]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

It is certainly possible that Avery wants to coach and that a college degree would be résumé appropriate. My question was directed to his Duke degree which seems to over qualify Will for coaching. And he made a special effort for it. So, it looks to me like he is targeting something else. Law school? MBA? Teaching? Grad school? The Duke degree might be an entrée to any of these, whereas a degree from a university of lesser academic reputation might not serve as well. Hence my question.
    If this is actually a serious question, I’d think it clear that Duke would be interested in helping him get the degree. I don’t have any idea how this would work, but I’d imagine former basketball players don’t pay much in the way of tuition, for example, which does make college more affordable.

Regardless, kudos to Mr. Avery, a key part of one of Duke’s best teams…